PDA

View Full Version : Electron Storm

Beldaran
01-26-2003, 03:35 AM
Lately I have been taking Java programming classes at school and my programming is coming along nicely.

As my final project this quarter, in Java 142, I am making a non-applet based Tetris game. As soon as summer starts, I am going to adjust the code so that it will run in an applet and I am furthermore going to add the "squares" feature from the N64 tetris. I will then make a little website and post the game, along with updates on future programming projects of mine.

This game is my trial run at programming a fully functioning game. Even though my final is about seven weeks away, I already have a few peices of the engine running and my CS teacher has given me some helpful advice. I feel confidant that this program will turn out nicely.

Web Tetris Enhanced (as I'm calling it) is to be the first release of a small project of mine called "Electron Storm".

http://www.forrestkyle.com/misc/estorm.jpg

Electron Storm is simply the name given to my various computer projects I will be producing in the coming years as I work towards and complete my computer science degree. It is not a company and it is not some kind of competition with AGN. (Just so you know I'm not advertising.^_^)

The early stages of Electron Storm will consist mainly of 2D games made for the purpose of further developing my knowledge of programming, and allowing me to branch out from OOP in Java to C++.

It isn't my goal to become a professional game programmer. I am studying to be a musician and a scientist. However, I think programming fun, engaging 2D, and maybe someday 3D, games is a good mental excercise and a good source of entertainment. I'd like to think that someday Electron Storm will have a nice little library of Arcade Games, Action games, RPG's, and Simulations that lack that corporate flavor of modern video games. It's sort of tip of the hat to what video gaming meant in the 80's and early 90's, which is namely having some good fun and not needing 9000 frames per second of real time 3D life like action and voice actors from hollywood.

So I just wanted to tell you guys about it. I will be posting about my progress every once and a while when something cool comes along, and in June I will post a Tetris beta. It's fun.:)

JayeM
01-26-2003, 04:50 AM
Sounds cool, Beldaran, I'm looking forward to it!

Rijuhn
01-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Sounds like a reasonable and realistic goal, so I'm glad to hear about it, and I'm looking forward to it, as I'm sure many AGNers are. There's too much crap nowadays. Whatever happened to the simpler pleasures of completing a space shooter, or the original RPGs? I find that I'd rather play an internet Tetris-era game than most of what they make now.

fatcatfan
01-27-2003, 01:09 AM
I have to agree with you that programming is an entertaining mental exercise. It makes an ever-challenging hobby. It can also be a creative outlet.

Fiyerstorm
01-27-2003, 01:01 PM
Just as long as it isn't...Fiyerstorm....

:D

lol, have fun w/ your programming...

Ich
01-27-2003, 01:10 PM
I want to take some programming classes next year, and maybe my senior year, but I'd never really major in it.

Fiyerstorm
01-27-2003, 01:15 PM
I don't think my school has those classes...

/me cries...

I know this other H.S. has a website designing HTML class...

satanman
01-27-2003, 01:28 PM
I'll be taking a course in college next year that includes programming (I get to leave high school at 16 :P )

I'll set up a project called 'electron heavy rain' ;)

Good luck, and may the force-feedback be with you (you can't do that in java, can you? :/ )

Rafnul
01-27-2003, 05:15 PM
I feel insipred to start working on my own stuff. I guess I'll have to pull those old books like "Learning Java" and "Programming a 3d Game Engine in C++" off the shelf. I'm interested in going into game evelopment anyways... and now I have people to compete with... AHAH! The motivation is all there. WOW. I am now motivated to do something I couldn't find the energy to do before. Maybe I'll finally start working on OMUN(Online Multi-User Nexus)... Thank you Beldaran. You've sparked my prgramming instinct again. I'm sure this would be easier if I was taking classes, but who cares. Must... be cooler... than... electron storm.

mike5000
01-29-2003, 01:07 AM
This might seem stupid for asking, I have no knowledge in programming yet, but what do you use to "program" something? Is it a program you buy, or do you whip out WordPad and start typing away? [/end stupid question]

Beldaran
01-29-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by mike5000
This might seem stupid for asking, I have no knowledge in programming yet, but what do you use to "program" something? Is it a program you buy, or do you whip out WordPad and start typing away? [/end stupid question]

Programming, at it's simplest, is sending instructions to a computer processor that it can understand and follow. In order to communicate with a computer, we must send it instructions in "binary", or "machine language", which is the 1's and 0's that you are familiar with. Writing in machine language is amazingly difficult and complex.

As computer technology quickly developed, so did the need to write code more efficiently in a language that humans could more easily work with.

Thus "programming languages" were developed. A Programming Language is sort of like an interface between english and machine code. People can write in the given language in a text editor (like notepad) and send their written instructions to a "Compiler", which reads their code and translates it into machine code that the computer can understand. Many compilers have their own built in text editors, as well as other features that make programming more intuitive.

You can find source code examples on the internet in many different computer languages, such as Java, C, C++, BASIC, Visual Basic, and probably even FORTRAN and COBOL.