PDA

View Full Version : 183 Bug (1.90 Quests)

VGWarrior
01-24-2003, 11:45 AM
This bug won't affect "too" many quests, but it severely hurts A Link to a Different Dimension.

When played on 183, all stationary traps are set to automatically reach the opposite end. They don't stop upon touching each other...they just glide on through. I can normally breeze through the first level, but now I'm beeping at the boss there because of that! DN, I hope you read this one.

CJC
01-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Did you check to make sure the "ghost traps" (or something like that" is not checked? That makes traps pass through each other and enemies, so it might be the problem.

System Error
01-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Yes, Phantom Placed Traps was most likely checked in order to make things harder. You said you could breeze through the first level and now it is hard, right? That was most likely intended.

VGWarrior
01-24-2003, 12:40 PM
It's not my quest. It's Sludge's.

I can't check his quest without knowing his password!

fatcatfan
01-24-2003, 12:43 PM
I think the issue here is a that a quest rule has been "inverted" by the beta player. That is, it was checked, but the player has reversed the meaning of that rule being checked (or unchecked). For existing quests, the player's quest loading code *should* account for this change and inverse the flag to preserve the original behavior. But it would seem it isn't.

You say this quest is a v1.90 quest which hasn't been updated to the betas, right?

VGWarrior
01-24-2003, 01:40 PM
This quest has not been updated to beats; it was made and completed in 1.90.

So, it sounds like we could use one of those "Quest Updator" packages that came with 1.90.

Verbatim
01-24-2003, 01:57 PM
There was one beta release...in the "leaked" beta V. 60-something (68?). But of course, that one probably only runs on the beta it was made for, and anyways, I don't think the trap stuff was added yet.

Sounds to me like the player either isn't checking whether the rule exists, and just looks at the address where it's supposed to be (so that some old quests might have it on, and others have it off randomly), or it's setting the rule as on rather than off once it determines that the rule doesn't exist.

Or...if DN used one of the "reserved" rules for it...it might be that that flag was checked in altadd...and the possiblity of that turning on new rules for quests made before those rules were added wasn't considered...

Wouldn't this go in the bug forum?

Tom
01-24-2003, 03:07 PM
don't you mean 182???

Dart Zaidyer
01-24-2003, 03:17 PM
I notice that too. Perhaps it's because the rules for sword beam behavior were consolidated into Init Data, and therefore changed and left unaccounted for when dealing with 1.90 quests?

fatcatfan
01-24-2003, 03:32 PM
A "quest updater" shouldn't be needed any longer. It is coded to be an automatic process, wherever possible. When ZQuest opens an old quest, it updates it to the new format when you save. When Zelda encounters an old quest, it moves the data around from old version structures into new ones to attempt to reproduce the original behavior of the old quest in it's player under the new player.

Verbatim
01-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Tom
don't you mean 182???

No, I didn't. There was a v. 60-something that was released with a hoax...a beta-tester posted it on the forums, saying they were fed up with the way DN was doing things, and gave links to a copy of the ZC beta, which had a large number of quests bundled with it--the quests that the beta-testers were working on. One of them was an early version of ALtaDD for 1.92. Those who have been around long enough to have seen the quest database when it was fully operational will remember a promise that there will be a new version of ALtaDD each time a new version of ZC is released.

IRL, they had planned the release for some time, and decided to stir up some emotions on the forums and play a joke on the members by saying it was released by a rogue tester. I think it was Lord Cronic (now Darth Cronic) who did the actual release, and was temporarily banned from the testers forum to make it look real. It was a great beta, some of the quests (even though most were just demos, I don't think any of them were 100% finalized, but ALtaDD may have been complete) are still among my favorites.

Saving in Zquest was disabled...it crashed if you tried to save, to make it look like a bug, but it was deliberate, which is why you don't hear much about it--it never became a version that non-beta-testers made quests for.

Qun Mang
01-25-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Tom
don't you mean 182???

Actually, DFW released the beta 183 player with his newest quest (and with DN's blessing :saint: ). See this thread:

http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67755