PDA

View Full Version : Simple idea to improve the forums

Cronic
01-23-2003, 02:01 AM
Is adding a spell checker possible? I know many boards have them, and I'm sure it would help Zaph read with ease ;)

If I remember correctly there was one when I joined actually.

Shadowblazer
01-23-2003, 02:14 AM
I noticed while I was working on the sig hack that the code exists for a Spell Check button in the new post template, but it's commented out. I'll see if I can dig up any more information on it. It's quite possible that it's disabled because it either doesn't work, or has an adverse effect on performance.

If it's fixable though, I'll see what I can do. Have a few other matters to attend to beforehand, but I'll put it on The List™ ;)

Cronic
01-23-2003, 02:15 AM
sweeeet, Thanks Sb.

Beldaran
01-23-2003, 02:54 AM
yes a spel cheker wood bee nice.:)

Brian
01-23-2003, 01:25 PM
I for one would use it, as sometimes now after quickly typing a late night post I use word's spell check rather then proofreading, and this would definately help. :thumbsup:

Breaker
01-23-2003, 02:42 PM
I had suggested the very same thing to the Shadowbalzer awhile back. It would great if you could just take the field from www.dictionary.com and put it near the "post reply" or even quick reply box. (having it open in a new window after submitting a word of course)

War Lord
01-23-2003, 03:12 PM
I've toyed with that idea since when we had UBB.
Usually it wants a registration at spellchecker.net. Which required a fee at one point.
If you're really a horrible speller, use MS Word, or some other program available. I'm not sure it needs to be a feature.

Paradox
01-23-2003, 10:15 PM
make sure it doesn't try to fix acronyms and intentional misspellings. it might not be good with all that...

Lone Wolf
01-24-2003, 07:03 AM
I sur coud use one off em, I thinke that wood bee a good Idia.

o.O

Jemsee
01-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by War Lord
I've toyed with that idea since when we had UBB.
Usually it wants a registration at spellchecker.net. Which required a fee at one point.
If you're really a horrible speller, use MS Word, or some other program available. I'm not sure it needs to be a feature.
I do that already.
I'm a terrible speller and have a blank word doc open and with most posts I copy over, check spelling, then cut and copy back.
Still have to proof read though, sometimes it wants to put in words that sound alike but spelled different.
That’s when I open Dictonary.com.

JayeM
01-24-2003, 07:05 PM
A lot of people enjoy their atrocious spelling and take great pride in it...

Ultra22Lemming
01-24-2003, 08:01 PM
I don't think it would word for me because of my advatar.