PDA

View Full Version : If you think your good with computers...

gdorf
01-22-2003, 10:50 PM
I need some help diagnosing a computer problem I'm having.

The problem: It freezes on startup, sometimes on the windows XP splashscreen, sometimes right after I log in, and sometimes as the programs from the startup directory are loading. This is a total lock-down, the mouse is frozen as well.

System Specs:
Soyo kt333 dragon lite
Athlon XP 2000+ with a 266FSB
Geforce 4 mx 420
128 megs DDR memory
100gig WD hard-drive
linksys ethernet card
Windows XP pro

General Info:
I really don't know where the problem is here. It seems like it might be a cpu problem, with a random lockup on startup, but could it also be memory? If I insert a bootdisk I can get around dos fine, even for long periods of time.
I think another important piece of information is the fact that if I set the CPU frequency to 100mhz (as opposed to the normal 133mhz), it takes the cpu from 1.67ghz to 1.25. but it makes the computer function perfectly fine. This could be a fix, but I'd hate to lose 420mhz on my brand new system.

If anyone has any ideas of what this might be, please let me know, and ask questions about the problem if you need to. Frankly, I'm desperate, I have no idea what the problem is, and until I figure it out, I'm stuck using the family computer.

Oh, and by the way, I'm having to reinstall windows because C:\windows\system\config is either missing or corrupt. Does that help?

goKi
01-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Well for a start, install windows again and go from there.. i dont think thats the fix, though, seeing as you could get it to boot by slowing the processor. 128mb of RAM is not enough to run XP properly, regardless of what anyone else says... maybe DDR is slightly better though, but for a new system, 128MB isnt really alot.

The Savior
01-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Since lowering the CPU down to 100mhz fixes things, it seems to me that the CPU is the problem. Is the processor unlocked? If so, try pushing the multiplier down while leaving the frequency at 133, just to see what happens.

p.s. Where is your avatar from? It kicks large amounts of ass.

gdorf
01-22-2003, 10:59 PM
I've been using 128, and it is a challenge, but its been woprking out. I was actually pallning on buying another 128 within a couple of weeks, but now I think I'm going to save it in case I need something more crucial.

Oh, and I just remembered to point this out. I don't think the cpu is overheating, unless 40degrees is too hot. I have a volcano9 on the chip, an inflow fan and the power-supply as exaust. I think it is a pretty cool system.

The Savior
01-22-2003, 11:04 PM
40 is plenty cool. 60 is when you should start worrying.

fatcatfan
01-22-2003, 11:49 PM
I'm not much of a hardware person, but I will say that it seems to me to be some kind of incompatibility or malfunction with the processor/motherboard.

DukenukemX
01-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Try to boot up in safe mode. Press F8 before windows trys to boot up and select safe mode. If windows can boot into safe mode then it's not a hardware problem.

Either that or try to clean install windows. If you can boot into safe mode fine then I can help you out from there. Otherwise your CPU sounds bad.

El Oso Verde
01-23-2003, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I'd reccomend putting all your hardware settings to default, reinstalling windows, and running some diagnostics if you can.

Originally posted by The Savior
p.s. Where is your avatar from? It kicks large amounts of ass.

BTW his avatar is Arucard (not Alucard) from Hellsing. It's a pretty sweet anime about a govt. agency in England that hunts Vampires.

AtmaWeapon
01-23-2003, 02:28 AM
I'd be willing to bet it had something to do with the processor. I've heard rumors that I haven't bothered to confirm that AMD chips handle temperature less gracefully than Intel. I'd suggest making sure that your heatsink is both adequate and fastened down well enough.

The Savior
01-23-2003, 02:39 AM
Even if AMD chips do handle high temps worse than intel, (I've heard the opposite, myself) it shouldn't cause lockups on startup, when the processor is (reletively) cool. Besides, he already said that he was getting around 40 degrees, which is well within reasonable operating temperature.

gdorf
01-23-2003, 10:37 PM
I reinstalled using the 100mhz clock frequency (1.25ghz total chip speed) and its working just like normal. I am a little waery because I haven't installed the motherboard software, but it seems to be fine as long as keep the chip slowed. I haven't tried normal yet, because frankly my computer is working now, and it feels good. ;) The multipliers on this cpu are locked, but thanks for the suggestion savior.

I have a question.. Is the clock frequency the same as the front side bus? I was under the impression that it was, which would mean the clock frequency would directly effect memory, anything using PCI, pretty much every part of the system. This is the main reason I have yet to place all the blame on the processor.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I can always count on you for things like this. ;)

The Savior
01-23-2003, 11:54 PM
I think that it's the same, but as only as you choose the right ratio of PCI:AGP:CPU, it shouldn't matter if you use 100 or 133, only if you use something non-standard.

DukenukemX
01-24-2003, 12:07 AM
I pretty much have the same type of setup you have gdorf as my PC has a Soyo Dragon Plus with a AMD 2000+ and 640 megs of DDR.

If I were you I would look into my memory first since you only have 128 megs and it could be bad memory. On a Via based motherboard I would definitly install the Via 4in1 drivers soon as they don't function correctly with out them.

If you change or add memory and it doesn't help then I would look into the CPU next. Did the PC crash installing Windows XP or you just wanted to play it safe when installing windows? I would try to bump up the FSB to 133 and give it a try. You never know. ;)

gdorf
01-24-2003, 12:10 AM
I'm starting to think it might be a problem with the memory. I got this error multiple times:

The instruction at "0x1000q35d" referenced memory at "0x00d30008". The memory could not be "read". Click okay to terminate the program

Also, I tried setting the clock frequency to normal(133mhz) and it still isn't working. Although now it's even worse. Now if I run it at normal speed I can't even get passed the memory test/drive test without freezing.

edit: And I reinstalled windows because I had to. Sometime in the multiple freeze-ups while starting windows one of the system files went awry (C:\windows\system\config).

fatcatfan
01-24-2003, 12:44 AM
ooh, yes, that sounds like bad RAM. Try pulling one card out (and changing any jumpers if necessary). If the problem still happens, put that one back in and try another. Repeat until you isolate the bad one. Of course, you know to be careful of static dischrge.

Thunderbird
01-24-2003, 01:38 AM
40C is EXTREMELY low for an AMD processor (I regularly run at 61, though it drops to the mid 50s if the HSF power is up all the way).

AMD should be able to handle up to 90C before it starts having problems. After that, all hell breaks loose.

The Savior
01-24-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Thunderbird
40C is EXTREMELY low for an AMD processor (I regularly run at 61, though it drops to the mid 50s if the HSF power is up all the way).

AMD should be able to handle up to 90C before it starts having problems. After that, all hell breaks loose.

I doubt that AMP chips can handle 90, 80, or even 70 for any significant length of time. My 1700+ reports around 32 in the BIOS, although I do have a heatsink that is overkill.

gdorf
01-24-2003, 02:00 AM
Well, the AMD site says it can support 90C.. but that is obviously bullshit. I have yet to see a proccessor come close to 90C without having frozen already. I think anywhere around 50+ is time to worry a little more about cooling.