PDA

View Full Version : Space and George Bush

Beldaran
01-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Dont' you find it interesting that the BBC has to report on President Bush's
NASA/science proposals because the domestic media is still trying to protray
him as an isolated war monger and nothing more. They are hiding his true
agendas.

Here's the exciting scoop (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2684329.stm)

Maverick_Zero
01-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Well, that's the sound-byte news, you should listen to NPR, it's news is great.

As for that, well at least we're not focusing on one thing, if we do that, the reds (russians) will beat us for the race to get to the moon, I mean, mars.

Dart Zaidyer
01-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Well, the trouble is, if there's a botched part or procedure, HELLOOOOO irradiation!

fatcatfan
01-22-2003, 11:27 PM
omg!!!!!!!! This is amazing!!!! I can hardly type. You've got to understand some background, first. Mars!!! You see two and a half years ago, in the late spring of 2000, we had what is called the "Stonecipher Symposium" at my university. Actually, we have it every so often now. Anywho, at that particular symposium, we had Robert Zubrin as speaker. He's one person instrumental in developing a cost-effective and feasible plan for a manned mission to Mars. Back during the Bush Sr. presidency, a plan for a manned Mars mission came forward, but Bush Sr. rightly turned it down because the plan was too costly. It involved developing technologies which didn't even exist. Bush Sr. had made the call for the proposition, but turned it down because it was high cost, and really only a one-shot trip. Following the failure of that initial proposal, Robert Zubrin and other engineers, etc. begin to formulate a more effective plan. Lower cost, and one that established ground support on Mars for subsequent manned missions. Great plans, simple, using technology which already exists (though nothing nuclear was planned then because of international treaties - a radioisotope "battery" power supply was then the only proposed "nuclear" technology to be used). I can't sum it all up here very well, it's been two years since I studied it, but getting to the point and why I'm all excited.

In summer of 2000, I took a "Literature and Technology" course at university. In light of the recent symposium, the instructor choose the history and future of space exploration as the focus of the course. We got read movies and watch books like "The Right Stuff", "Apollo 13", "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Forbidden Planet". We also had to read a bit from Robert Zubrin's book (can't recall the name right now). Towards the end of our course, we each had to give an oral presentation on "The Case for Mars". Whether we thought the world was ready for a manned Mars mission, why we should go, etc. Of course, I was all for going to Mars. In my research, I discovered what I've told you about the Bush Sr. Mars proposition. Previously I was unaware of it. So in my oral report, in the Summer of 2000, *before* Bush Jr. was elected, I surmised that *when* Bush was elected (I was pretty cocky about that) there would be a return to the Mars plan.

w00t!!!!!

Beldaran
01-22-2003, 11:46 PM
That is incredible cool FCF.:)

Axel
01-23-2003, 04:20 PM
finaly. did you know that this has been possible for years? this is far from a new idea.
I'm seriously excited by this, my ultimate goal in life is to be in the space program.

fatcatfan
01-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Right. It's been possible since before Clinton became president. I think the new plan came together around then. Of course, Clinton had no interest in the space program.

Axel
01-24-2003, 08:30 AM
well, you're right there. but I've never had much faith in politicians, presidents least of all. you don't get there by deserving the position, you get there by being charismatic.
but, as Socrates said, "in a democracy, the people get the leaders they deserve."
and another man said, "the only people who deserve to be president never run."

Ganonator
01-24-2003, 03:40 PM
the best part about this is the prospect of new terrain. It will also get the american public off of the topic regarding war against Iraq. But, like DZ said, they fuck anything up, we're ALL fucked up.

Ich
01-24-2003, 06:31 PM
Not really, the radiation would only contaminate places that don't matter, like Florida. Okay, Florida DOES matter, but not to me.

CrAcKeR
01-25-2003, 02:37 PM
bush is stupid

Beldaran
01-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by CrAcKeR
bush is stupid

Not only does that not have anything to do with the topic, but you also didn't back it up with anything so I will assume it is untrue.

Axel
01-25-2003, 04:11 PM
I agree with your logic, Beldaran.

satanman
01-26-2003, 09:50 AM
to back up cracker:

A bush, being a plant, has no brain, unless its a martian or something, hence, stupid :p

notice he said 'bush is stupid' reffering to the leafy, short things.
Had he said 'Bush is stupid' or 'George Bush is stupid' or 'the US president is stupid' or some such thing, than he would have been reffering to either the president, or, in the first example, the electronics company. :)

What we really need is a manned trip to uranus :p

fatcatfan
02-04-2003, 12:01 AM
Sorry to revive this. While going through m hard-drive today I came across the essay I had to write which was the basis for the oral presentation which I mentioned above. I posted it, mainly for Beldaran I guess, but for anyone interested, here:
http://webpages.charter.net/fatcatfan/eng453.htm

Beldaran
02-04-2003, 12:18 AM
That was very informative and fascinating. You know, I wouldn't be too shocked if at some point in my lifetime (within the next 60 years) they do in fact establish a colony on Mars. Bitchin.

Thanks for digging that up and posting it.

Dechipher
02-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Belderan, I'll bet you dont live to see 30, the way your going now...

:)

Beldaran
02-04-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Dechipher
Belderan, I'll bet you dont live to see 30, the way your going now...

:)

eh? I don't understand.