PDA

View Full Version : ....It's still just a rumor and I'm speechless...

AlexMax
01-22-2003, 04:12 PM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story_main.php?id=85976

MICROSOFT TO BUY VIVENDI?

Fevered speculation points to a shock swoop by Bill Gates's company, with an announcement imminent

19:25 If insider speculation is to be believed, Microsoft has bought US publisher Vivendi, with an announcement to that effect due soon. Take a deep breath and reflect on the implications of that, if true.

Half-Life 2, Warcraft, Counter-Strike, Crash, Spyro, Lord of the Rings... Vivendi has an enormous portfolio boasting some of the biggest titles on all formats, and it would be an ultra-smart move on Microsoft's part to snap them up. Such a buyout, of course, would come at a terrifically high price, making the 365 million acquisition of Rare look like peanuts. But if anyone has the necessary funds, it's Microsoft.

Rumours regarding potential buyout targets for Microsoft are nothing new, of course, and have been spreading for months, with the likes of Sega and Capcom both mentioned in dispatches. However, talk of the Microsoft/Vivendi deal seems far more serious, with one insider suggesting the buyout could be confirmed as early as Friday.

Furthermore, an email from Universal was accidentally sent out to developers last week stating that all work on GBA titles should be suspended. The email was promptly recalled and branded an error, but could it be that this was in some way tied in with this alleged deal?

We contacted Vivendi for comment and a spokesperson told us: "We've heard all sorts of rumours over the past months - Activision, EA and many more. They'd all like to get their hands on Blizzard. I guess Microsoft are one of the few companies that has enough money."

A Microsoft spokesperson would only state: "This is a rumour and we do not comment on rumours."

If the rumours prove true, this will be a huge boost for Microsoft's soaring Xbox console, providing it with a broad spectrum of big-name games that would either appear as Xbox lead or as Xbox exclusives outright.

We'll keep you posted on all developments.

Actually, this makes a lot of sense, considering that the Xbox itself is a PC. But this also means that console ports of PC games would be vastly reduced.

Especially disturbing...

Furthermore, an email from Universal was accidentally sent out to developers last week stating that all work on GBA titles should be suspended. The email was promptly recalled and branded an error,

Now what in the fuck? I am going to refrain from stating the implications of this, it's too obvious. Error indeed.

Now, keep in mind that this is a RUMOR. As in, not final, maybe even nonexistant.

So it is clear, my stance on this issue is neutral as I am not entirely sure what the ramifications of this are.

MottZilla
01-22-2003, 04:19 PM
VIVENDI is Blizzard? Huh? I'm rather lost. But ya... Blizzard makes PC games.... not Console games. Warcraft or Starcraft on a console would totally suck ass.

AlexMax
01-22-2003, 04:29 PM
They DISTRIBUTE games, I beleive.

El Oso Verde
01-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Actually Vivendi just publishes Blizzard and Sierra games (Sierra also owns Valve). [edit: in response to Mott, not correcting Alex]

And as far as Starcraft on consoles, don't forget about Starcraft: Ghost.

I just hope this won't affect the quality or availability of good PC titles if they go through with it. It seems lately there has been a shortage of PC games worth playing, and those that are fall under Vivendi's companies.

Warlock
01-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Vivendi owns Blizzard..

But there is no way Blizzard would let Microsoft dictate what they do. Particularly the GBA ports of their classics and the new StarCraft Ghost (ppl are already pissed it's console only, if it was Xbox only it wouldn't sell well at all). I think Blizzard would leave Vivendi before that happened. Afterall, they have been under a bunch of different companies throughout the years.

MottZilla
01-22-2003, 04:34 PM
StarCraft Ghost isn't "Craft" though, which is what i meant. Craft being what I refer to as the Warcraft RTS engine.

Anyway, ya, if it makes Blizzard act fucked up well then the PC will have a major game shortage.

El Oso Verde
01-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I'd like to think that Blizzard would have enough pull to be able to find another publisher if the shit did hit the fan. I mean they're pretty much the top-selling PC game company, and have been for years.

Maverick_Zero
01-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Warcraft was on the PSX Mott.

So Microsodt now owns a major publisher. :(

Beldaran
01-22-2003, 10:33 PM
You'd think they could cut some kind of deal involving making games for their console instead of a big fat buyout. Moves like this aren't good for competition. The more small development houses the better, as the games are more creative and innovative.

AlexMax
01-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Now, keep in mind that this is a RUMOR. As in, not final, maybe even nonexistant.

Beldaran
01-23-2003, 01:20 AM
I understand that is merely a rumor. I was just commenting on my opinion of the potential situation.

El Oso Verde
01-23-2003, 01:22 AM
I think that was intended for Maverick.

Beldaran
01-23-2003, 12:08 PM
ah, indeed.