PDA

View Full Version : Link's Cset Usage

Grasshopper
01-21-2003, 11:16 PM
I thought Link without a ring would use Special Cset 5, but he uses 6 from the main pallette and the other colors all use the Special Cset 6 and 7. This kinda messes things up for me. :/ I know this might be stupid to ask, but I'm desperate. Is there any way to change it? A rule maybe that needs checked, anything? If not, I'll just have to find a way around it.

Tygore
01-22-2003, 12:00 AM
No, it's set in stone.

Daarkseid
01-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Those special Csets are reserve color sets. The current 8-bit graphics do not allow for more than 256 colors, and the special Csets are extra csets that replace others when certain conditions occur, such as grabbing the blue ring(replaces the colors in Cset 6 with those in special cset 6).

Also, the limitations on colors can clearly be seen by putting more than one boss type enemy that uses the extra Csets, like Gannon, Gleeok, and Aquamentus. If you do put them in the same screen, they will all default to 1 single special Cset.

The problem you have probably won't be solved until ZC's graphics get a boost, and I think DN already experimented with 16-bit color and subsequently did away with it(too many problems?).

Grasshopper
01-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Thats ok. I mean, if you can get the Csets to agree with one another, theres no problem. I just wanted the magic shield to be red, and I couldn't substitute any other colors, and Cset 6 of the main palette was the only one without red. I swear I thought Cset 5 6 7 were Link's colors. My mistake.:laughing:

I don't think making the game from 8-bit to 16-would would help. It would just make things more complicated. All Dark Nation would need to do is treat Link like he did with the new enemy tiles. Each Link would use his own set of tiles. And isn't DN doing that anyway?

It wasn't a big problem really, I just made the shield blue. Thanks for the help.

GerrardCapashen
01-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Huh, what tileset do you use, the classic one?

Grasshopper
01-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Nah, I just used the tiles that were in the 182test quest. But I changed a few palettes around.

GerrardCapashen
01-23-2003, 09:41 AM
So you're using the classic tileset (the default one) with some 182test tiles? Because, the palettes in 182test are ok for the red shield.

Grasshopper
01-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I know those palettes are fine. I'm not using any tiles right now, but the sprites are from the 182 test quest, with modified palettes. The sprite palettes are not the same as that quest.