PDA

View Full Version : RIAA wants you to pay

DukenukemX
01-20-2003, 02:15 PM
I swear the RIAA just won't stop. In a bold move even the devil himself would not do the RIAA has now suggested that ISPs pay for file sharing. In turn the ISPs will need to raise the price of broadband.

You can read all about it here (http://news.com.com/2100-1023-981281.html?tag=fd_top).

"We will hold ISPs more accountable," said Hillary Rosen, chairman and CEO the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), in her keynote speech at the Midem music conference on the French Riviera.
"Let's face it. They know there's a lot of demand for broadband simply because of the availability (of file-sharing)," Rosen said.

Rosen suggested one possible scenario for recouping lost sales from online piracy would be to impose a type of fee on ISPs that could be passed on to their customers who frequent these file-swapping services.

Dark Nation
01-20-2003, 03:54 PM
If we would be paying for the file sharing, it would be legal/legit then, yes? (not that I like the idea, however)

Beldaran
01-20-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by DukenukemX
In a bold move even the devil himself would not do

Maybe the devil wouldn't do it, but McDonlads does it all the time. It's called "expecting payment for services rendered".

J.J. Maxx
01-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Woah...

Will they never learn? I've been filesharing for years and as far as I can tell, artists are still putting out music. :shrug:

AlexMax
01-20-2003, 05:59 PM
They get more and more insane each day.

Sad...

MottZilla
01-21-2003, 02:42 AM
ISPs should cut off the RIAA's web service in all forms. They should not have a website, or any internet service.

All they do is harass people. Another organization that exsists that's similar is the ISDA, however, atleast the ISDA handles issues properly. They didn't blame ISPs, file sharing, etc.

Anyway, it's retarded. The ISPs seriously should no longer provide the RIAA any web related services. At the very least charge them a shit load of money just because of who they are.

I mean really, why would you provide service to the very ones that want to charge you money? That's working the wrong way you know? YOU charge them, not they charge you.

Daarkseid
01-21-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by AlexMax
They get more and more insane each day.

They're not insane. The internet has made previously controllable forms of media to become much more fluid. Games, movies, music, it can be had for free through file sharing, or is it?

No, in the end we're still kind of paying for the things we download. Internet connections are not free. And there are few who resort to the measures necessary to get an internet connection without paying for it.

In the end, we might actually be allowed to download new movies, games, and music for free, but then pay 200 dollars a month for internet access.

MottZilla
01-21-2003, 02:53 AM
In that case it would PUSH more people to take advantage of the connection. If I payed 200$s a month I would download an archive of everything and be downloading 24/7.

Daarkseid
01-21-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
In that case it would PUSH more people to take advantage of the connection. If I payed 200$s a month I would download an archive of everything and be downloading 24/7.

And you would have every right to. Everything you could download on the net would be free, you would just have a hefty price tag, since most of the money made would go to pay off those who produce music, games, and movies and other media online.

MottZilla
01-21-2003, 03:05 AM
But that's unrealistic. I can download over 200$s worth of things in a month.

El Oso Verde
01-21-2003, 04:23 AM
Hell, I can download over $200 worth of stuff in a few hours if need be. The point is that they don't really have any real right to charge this fee. Since when does the RIAA have that kind of authority over private businesses?