PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a DVD burner

Dirk the Daring
01-20-2003, 10:06 AM
I think I am ready to take the plunge and purchase a DVD burner. Mainly I want to be able to take old home movies off of Super8 and VHS and put them on DVD. Any sugestions on what make I should look at getting? Also, can you take a DVD off the shelf, say "The Matrix", and make an exact copy?

DukenukemX
01-20-2003, 01:39 PM
Well I heard a new Sony DVD burner can burn all types of DVD media. Like DVDR, DVDR+, DVD+RW, and etc. Since there is no DVD standard this would be the best choice to get. I forget the exact name of the drive but I know it's from Sony.

As for coping DVD movies it all really depends. Most people believe that DVD CDs hold 4.7 gigs of info but really they can hold as much as 9 gigs. Most DVD movies today are double density DVDs which holds 9 gigs of Data. Basically if you find a DVD movie with no extras or cut scenes then it could be a regular DVD that you can copy but most DVD movies today are 9 gig disks. As far as I know DVD burners don't burn higher then 4.7 gigs.

You could copy a movie by going thru a process of ripping it from a DVD and using special software to eventually burn it on a DVD CD. Of course with a different Menu and no CD extras of course.

fatcatfan
01-20-2003, 02:12 PM
www.vcdhelp.com

How do you plan on getting the Super8 and VHS movies into the computer in order to burn them to DVD?

Depending on your technical ability, you have different choices. It *is* possible to make an exact copy of a DVD so long as it isn't a dual-layer DVD. As mentioned, I don't think any DVD burners can burn dual layers. But regardless, making an exact copy isn't an easy task. You won't be able to just click a few buttons and do it.

For a really easy route, just get a set-top DVD recorder. You could potentially route vide signal through it to copy DVDs (without the menus though). This would also facilitate getting home vides, VHS, etc onto DVD.

Dirk the Daring
01-21-2003, 12:31 PM
I don't have a plan for the Super8. I know it is very costly to pay someone to do it. If I could find a decent Super8 projector, I would set up the digital video camera and just record the movie that way.

MottZilla
01-21-2003, 05:04 PM
I mainly would want a DVD burner for 2 purposes. First, much better for backing up files. 800megs and nearly 5gigs are a big difference.

Next, I'd like to be able to copy DVD games, as well as rip and make DVDs.

fatcatfan
01-21-2003, 06:45 PM
There are a number of ways to "digitize" your Super8 and VHS stuff. If you have Sony (perhaps other brands, too) Digital camcorder with iLink (firewire) capacity, you can use the digital camcorder as an analog to digital converter. You hook your VHS or Super8 video signal into the Sony's pass-thru input. Then you'd just need some program on the PC to capture the firewire input from the Sony.

That's a real simplistic description to give you a basic idea of the steps. It's rather tricky, no matter what route you take.

Absent the Sony Digital Camcorder, you'd need some kind of video capture card/device for the PC. Hippauge WinTV, Pinnacle PCTV, ATI's ... something.

Unfortunately all the techniques I know of require you to record to the PC in realtime. That is, if you want to digitize 2 hours of VHS or Super8 video, it will take 2 hours (not counting all the times you goof up ;p). Then it will take even more time to process and encode the video for DVD. MPEG video compression is a processor intensive task.

MottZilla
01-22-2003, 04:11 PM
I believe there is a nice VIVO (Video-In Video-Out) version of the Geforce 4. You might wanna look into that. Great video card plus 2 very nice functions.

ctrl-alt-delete
01-22-2003, 11:52 PM
I won a DVD player in a church drawing, but that was a pretty long time ago, so it's not a DVD burner. I was thinking about buying one soon too. I'm curious though. How come you picked The Matrix for the DVD? Any specific reason? I'm just wondering because it is my favorite movie. Can't wait for number 2!!

The Savior
01-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
I believe there is a nice VIVO (Video-In Video-Out) version of the Geforce 4. You might wanna look into that. Great video card plus 2 very nice functions.

Yep, there are several available. If you do get one of these, avoid Gainward 4200's. Myself and several others have had nothing but problems with them. Although if you have the cash to lay down on a DVD burner you might as well go all out and get an ATI 9700 AIW.:nerd:

MottZilla
01-23-2003, 02:33 AM
I hear LeadTek is good however, so I was planning of I got a Geforce 4 VIVO I'd make sure to get a LeadTek.

The Savior
01-23-2003, 02:47 AM
I'd say that LeadTek is a safe bet.