PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of getting Metal Gear Solid 2

3-Headed Monkey
01-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2 is now twenty bucks (has been for awhile now). I've been thinking of getting it, as a VERY much enjoyed the first one. Any thoughts?

Of course, even if I get it, I won't play it until I finish replaying the Suikoden trilogy.

I might get it even if everyone here says I shouldn't, I'd just like to know what people think.

Blonde799
01-20-2003, 01:43 AM
MGS2 is twice as long as the first.:) But you'll get confused during the Raiden episode.:( Why'd the story have to be so weird?

Oh, there's a point in the game that you'll think you won't win, but believe me you don't have to kill all the enemies to advance.:)

Oh yeah, I suggest you wait for substance, as it's worth more than the price tag.:)

Denium
01-20-2003, 02:59 AM
No. Wait for the PS2 version of Substance. Forget the Xbox version unless, of course, you LOVE the occasional periods of slow-down (a.k.a. "lag") while you're playing, which I highly doubt.

Cronic
01-20-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Denium
No. Wait for the PS2 version of Substance. Forget the Xbox version unless, of course, you LOVE the occasional periods of slow-down (a.k.a. "lag") while you're playing, which I highly doubt.

Or if you love a system that can actually pull off 3D get the box version... The graphics are soo much sharper even though it's a straight port.

MottZilla
01-20-2003, 04:06 AM
If you don't care about extras you should pickup the greatest hits versions for PS2. It's a great game, I'm playing through it now whenever I get the chance to play.

I sorta doubt that the Xbox version would have too much "slow down". Maybe a little bit in intensive places. But then again, so did the NES. ;p And many other systems.

But get the game. Its very good.

Cronic
01-20-2003, 04:12 AM
The only slowdown is because this was a straight port... the slowdown is on a rain effect that they had to take many special messures to code for the PS2.

3-Headed Monkey
01-20-2003, 10:31 AM
What exactly is substance? Is it kinda like MGS2 but with added features or something? I'd get it either way on PS2, I don't have an XBox. Besides all the arguements, I'm sure the PS2 version and the XBox version are essentially the same thing.

mike5000
01-20-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
If you don't care about extras you should pickup the greatest hits versions for PS2. It's a great game, I'm playing through it now whenever I get the chance to play.

I sorta doubt that the Xbox version would have too much "slow down". Maybe a little bit in intensive places. But then again, so did the NES. ;p And many other systems.

But get the game. Its very good.

-This might be a little off subject, but what is the point of the greatest hits version, for PS2 I bought the greatest hits version of Resident Evil: CVX and you cant shoot heads off of zombies? If I remember when I rented the normal version of Code veronica you can shoot there heads of, (like in any other RE) So is the Greatest hits version of any game watered down and censored?

3-Headed Monkey
01-20-2003, 02:20 PM
You can't shoot the zombies heads of in CV. Or, at least you can't in the Dreamcast version. You might be thinking of RE2, or RE1.

Maverick_Zero
01-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by mike5000

-This might be a little off subject, but what is the point of the greatest hits version, for PS2 I bought the greatest hits version of Resident Evil: CVX and you cant shoot heads off of zombies? If I remember when I rented the normal version of Code veronica you can shoot there heads of, (like in any other RE) So is the Greatest hits version of any game watered down and censored?

Greatest Hits are cheaper, they're average price drops to like 20-25 dollars.

And maybe you were playing the DC version of Code Veronics.

And as for MGS2, if you just want to play a game that's alot like the original MGS, just get it now. But, if you have a Box, which I doubt you do, you can just wait till substance, because it has VR missions, the skateboard mode I think, alot of neat stuff.

MottZilla
01-21-2003, 01:33 AM
Greatest Hits versions of games are simply to mark it as having sold X amount of copies and they are cheaper than the original release run.