PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question .......

hellebeest
01-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Probably a stupid question i shouldn't ask.
How do you get those roms, i mean is there a way to get the
games i have on cardridge on the pc.

Mak-X
01-17-2003, 07:41 PM
You download ROMs off of the internet and play them with a emulator program that simulates the system the game (ROM) was originally played on.

www.consoleclassix.com might be a good start as they offer legal emulation and NES games for free 'rentals'.

hellebeest
01-17-2003, 07:56 PM
I know how that works, but i want to know if I can get them from
MY cardridged to pc.

3-Headed Monkey
01-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Yeah, you can, but you need special equipment. I don't know what it's called or where to get it. So I have nothing useful to say.

hellebeest
01-17-2003, 08:47 PM
Thx 3HM, anyone else who knows about this stuff.
Man why can't i just hook up my NES with the PC and let it
read the cardridge from there and copy ofcourse.

vegeta1215
01-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by hellebeest
Man why can't i just hook up my NES with the PC and let it
read the cardridge from there and copy ofcourse.

I wish it were that easy :)

Still, PCs can't emulate the feel of playing a game on it's original console...unless on course you some how modify you're NES or SNES controller so that you can use it on your PC...which I think I've seen pictures for somewhere...

Anyway, if you wanted to create your own ROMs you have to buy a piece of hardware that I know costs over $100, probably more. It's not worth it if you ask me.

MottZilla
01-19-2003, 06:06 AM
If you want to dump rom chips, you can go from a fairly cheap reader costing around a hundred to a few hundred dollars, or if you want a good one, you can spend about a thousand dollars on the whole sha-bang.

There have been makeshift devices though constructed to dump NES carts. However the most effective way is to desolder the chip from the board and dump it with a good rom chip reader/eprom programmer.

Anyways, in short, it's not for anyone that doesn't know their shit.

Later systems have had "backup" devices which are sold at rip off prices, you are talking 300$s often for new ones. The SNES has a really neat one I would have bought if I had the money, called the Super Wild Card DX2. Basically you can dump the carts to floppy disks with it, or even load games from floppys OR CDs.

They also made such devices for the Sega Genesis, Gameboy, and Nintendo 64 as well.

Nintendo 64 had the Doctor 64 and the Z64, as well as others.

Vegeta, all you need is a good TV out, compatable video mode, controller adaptor, emulator, you get het idea, and everything will be the same. I've done this for SNES before. You'd like seeing on your TV StarFox 2 exactly like you were playing it on the SNES, wouldn't you?

hehe...

hellebeest
01-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Don't feel like spending those bucks for those few games,
especially not for the whole sha-bang one :)
And then ther's the shipping cost.....
Thx for the info guys :thumbsup:

MottZilla
01-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Sure. If you aer just looking to pickup a few NES roms you should contact me through AIM. I have all 3000 and then some of them.