PDA

View Full Version : Mapmaker 192b182+

fatcatfan
01-16-2003, 09:50 PM
For those who haven't been around for very long: mapmaker takes ZQuest export files and converts them into bitmap images of dungeons and overworlds. Very handy for getting an overview of your world.

Mapmaker 192b182+ (http://webpages.charter.net/fatcatfan/mm192b182.zip)

http://webpages.charter.net/fatcatfan/mm192b182.png

MottZilla
01-17-2003, 04:25 PM
It's pretty cool.

Have you considered adding more or writing another program, that would actually allow quest editing/building in a nice Win32 app, for those who may want an alternative to Zquest in a window? I think that'd be very useful.

Noli
01-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Looking good! Thanks!:)

fatcatfan
01-17-2003, 04:57 PM
Mottz: I don't think DN will mind me telling you that he has mentioned a real windows GUI zquest at a much later date. Like on the version following the next full release version. Yes, I've considered doing it myself, just never found the time. Instead, I have a minion working on it.

If you're interested in doing it yourself, I can pass along the C/C++ code defining the structures contained in a QSU file. That was the whole point in having QSUs, to make that info public.

MottZilla
01-22-2003, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't mind the info to look at atleast. Pass it along to mottzilla at netscape.net when you get the chance. I rather not type in just my email address cause of damn spider things. ;p

Verbatim
01-22-2003, 05:39 PM
It would be nice to know how the quest data structures work...it'd give a certain amount of a window into how the program works, which could be useful for making more informed suggestions...

Could you send me a copy as well? tmurdock @ iastate.edu

fatcatfan
01-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Rather than email it to everybody interested, I'll just post it here as an attachment. Qsu.h has the definitions of the various structures, as well as a brief description of the qsu file layout at the beginning. Most of the stuff in qsu.h is defined by ZC's code, but a few of the structures are of my own making, since I don't use allegro to interpret the data. In particular, I think the cset, palette, and tile structures are my own, as well as the "door placement data". Maindlg.h is a clipped out portion of the code from mapmaker that I use to load and initialize a QSU frame structure.

DarkFlameWolf
01-23-2003, 01:09 AM
can you activate items on the overworld and cave type maps?

Freedom
01-23-2003, 01:53 AM
Fatcatfan,

I downloaded the mapmaker for the 190 version.
is there any documentation available on how to use it?
I'm pretty new at this.

fatcatfan
01-23-2003, 01:56 AM
I'm not sure if you're asking me if this capacity is coded in, or asking me to add it in. But I'm fairly certain Items can be activated for any map type. So the answer should be yes, either way. Secret Combos still aren't coded in, despite the check box. "Time!"

You don't know how tempting it is for me to make a map of THD, but I refuse to cheat. I refuse to even look at the map in your sig. ;p

Freedom
01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Fatcatfan,
I see we posted at the same time, so my last post will be easy to miss.

I was wondering how to use your map maker for the 190.
do you do screen shots and load them in or does it search out the ZC files and pull the map you choose?
I brought the exe up but it ask me to load a file in, and what it wanted I wasn't sure.

any info on it anywhere?

idontknow
01-23-2003, 09:23 PM
um...i downloaded it and it seems cool but how exactly do i use this?...i tried the open button, but there's no files ending in .qsu!...what should i be looking for?...is there another program/file i need to download to convert the quest files into qsu files?...what exactly should i be doing or looking for!? why was there a help file included!? hehe

Tygore
01-23-2003, 10:29 PM
A .qsu is an unencoded quest. You have to be able to open the .qst file in ZQuest to make one.

fatcatfan
01-23-2003, 10:30 PM
sorry I missed you Freedom. Here's how it works (for both versions). Open your quest in ZQuest. On the file menu of ZQuest, there is an item titled "export" select it, and a new menu will pop up. I would hope you both can figure it out from there, but just in case...

For the beta version, choose "unencoded quest file". You'll be prompted for a place to save it. Now load this .qsu file in the beta mapmaker.

For the 1.90 version, you have to export several different files because the QSU hadn't been "invented" yet. You'll have to export... let's see... a palette (.zpl), tiles (.til), combos (.cmb), and then a dmap (.dmp) and/or map (.map). Mapmaker 1.90 will render a map all by itself - useful for overworlds like newfirst.qst which actually use multiple DMAPs and thus multiple palettes. If, however, you want to render from a DMAP, you'll also have to export the corresponding map from ZQuest. Each map export file contains only one map (the current map at the time you export), rather than all of your maps. So you must take care to export the correct map.

mm190 will detect whether you've put a map or dmap into the last field when you click "proceed" and will then show the "render map" or "render dmap" dialog acordingly. On both you have to specify where to put the resulting bitmap. On the DMAP dialog, you must also point it to the corresponding map export file.

The "all" field of the initial mm190 dialog allows you to specify all the export files at once, so long as they all have the same name with only the extensions being different. That is, whatever you put in "all" will be echoed in the other fields but with the extension changed.

HTH. Enjoy.

Freedom
01-24-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks Fatcatfan,

I copy/pasted your post into a text file so I can start playing around and see what I come up with. :O)
Looks like a real time saver :O)

**EDIT**

That's a really nice program fatcatfan, whipped out a map in a few seconds, slapped it in PSP and sized it down into a gif.
worked great thanks!

MottZilla
02-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Does DN play on adding support in ZC (zelda-w.exe) for playing QSUs?

fatcatfan
02-05-2003, 01:02 AM
No, I don't think so. Any third party quest utilities would have to still use zquest to pack the QSU into a QST for use with the player.

DarkFlameWolf
02-05-2003, 01:34 AM
heh, no worries Fatcat, I have already gotten all the map files mapped out for my quest and zipped them in a handy mappack. Sure its crappy quality and none of the items show up on the maps, they are maps regardless and show you all you really need to know to find your way around. Nice proggy, btw. :)

fatcatfan
02-05-2003, 01:59 AM
I think the reason items don't show for you is because they are in chests. My code only displays standard items, not armos flag items. I'll try to fix that soon.

After my save file got corrupted, I "cheated" and made maps of the first two dungeons. I get so lost in them, and I didn't want to waste even more time wandering into dead ends in a dungeon I had already completed once. But I'v never gotten around to playing again yet. No time.

Spike
02-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Great! Another Map Maker! It doesn't get better than this... Until next version comes out. :laughing: