PDA

View Full Version : Website Idea...

J.J. Maxx
01-16-2003, 08:19 PM
I've been thinking about this idea for a long time now and would like to try it out and give it a run and see how it goes..

My idea is this, I would like to create a website where people could go to see every questionable thing in a movie. I think the rating system by the Motion Picture Association is a little vague. One 'R' rated movie may be alright with one parent and not alright with another. So I would break down the movies completely unbiased and give the information out on my website.

I would like to get as in depth as possible without driving myself crazy or getting too boring and analytical. On the main page I would have the movies displayed and have small icons next to them representing the various 'naughty bits'. Language, nudity, sexuality, violence and drug use.

These would be basic categories that you could click on and look deeper into the movie. For example, if you had a problem with certain kinds of language you could click the 'Language' icon next to that movie and see exactly what words were used and how many times.

If a movie is rated 'R' because they say 'Shit' 12 times you might let your kid or anyone go see it. But if it's rated 'R' because they used the word 'Fuck' 23 times then you may choose not to go see that movie. (Please excuse my language this is purely informative and scientific.)

I also understand that moral values are varied. Some people could care less and others are very picky. What I would like this website to do is just provide unbiased facts. Tell you *exactly* what you're getting in for and what to look out for.

There would also be, as you could probably tell, some things on the website that may not be suitable for younger surfers so I would put a disclaimer up too. Don't want kids going to my website just to watch the dirtiest movies. ;)

Anyways, I am really interested in doing something like this and providing a service to the world. Give me some feedback. Thanks. :thumbsup:

moocow
01-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Sounds like a great idea, JJ! You should do it :)

Tygore
01-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Love the idea! In fact, I think it's necessary. I like to know what's in movies I see as well.

Cronic
01-16-2003, 08:29 PM
I've had a similar idea with Video games actually... A compendium of things that had to be axed entirly like for example the new york cops being taken out of GTA3 and the missing Scene of a Stadium sized Arsenal Gear crushing through manhattan due to the 9/11 strikes...

But my question to you is where would you begin? I mean youd be going over all movies and showing things that made it instead of things that didn't? It sounds like a great idea, but it seems like a massive project.

SSJDragon420
01-16-2003, 08:29 PM
Not a bad idea at all.

J.J. Maxx
01-16-2003, 08:32 PM
No DC, I would provide all the facts about the new movies that come out in the theaters.. :) Thanks for all the feedback so far!

The Savior
01-16-2003, 08:34 PM
There are websites like that out there, I'm not sure of the addresses though. www.capalert.com does provide a similar service, but it doesn't list every instance and the reviews are quite skewed.

Sub-Zero
01-16-2003, 08:36 PM
are you going to need somebody to go see movies and count the curse words??? I'll do it. :D

J.J. Maxx
01-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by The Savior
There are websites like that out there, I'm not sure of the addresses though. www.capalert.com does provide a similar service, but it doesn't list every instance and the reviews are quite skewed.

Yeah, thats not what I want. I don't want to be as skewed as those kind of websites. And I want to make a slick looking website that doesn't look hokey so people take my website seriously.

Originally posted by Sub-Zero
are you going to need somebody to go see movies and count the curse words??? I'll do it. :D

Well, Most likely I will bring a tape recorder into the theater so that I can go back over the film later. ;)

Beldaran
01-16-2003, 08:41 PM
I think it would be a good idea so long as it wasn't marketed as

"I'm a faggot fundamentalist fag face who doesn't want you to watch movies with sex in them" (i.e. www.capalert.com)

and instead marketed it as

"I'm a parent of a young child who wants other parents to have a resource for discerning cinema habits."

EDIT: Just saw your reply to Savior. That answers my concern.:)

Tygore
01-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Exactly. No happy anti-"anything that ups the rating" bias. Just a website that tells it like it is.
This sounds really cool. Do you plan to do it?

J.J. Maxx
01-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Tygore
Do you plan to do it?

I have been thinking about doing this for over a year now. It scares me that I might start it and not go with it to the end though.. It's a pretty large endeavor. I would like to start with the basic website and do some sample movies that I already own. See how it goes. :)

Mercy
01-16-2003, 09:28 PM
I like the idea, JJ. Unfortunately I see too many obstacles and do not think it is really feasible. First would be the legality of exhibiting the material without proper licensing. Many films would not want all of their naughty bits being shown for various reasons. The studios of films such as The Crying Game and Drowning By Numbers would most likely object to having their pivitol plot points given out before the film is seen.

The scope is daunting, to say the least. The MPAA has been managing vague ratings for films over the course of many years. Covering all the films made since the inception of the rating system would take a great deal of time and resources. If you are up to it, more power to you!

You can not avoid bias. I believe you would try to but it is not possible when the ratings themselves contain bias.

Personally, the only thing I have against it is that it would make things easier. It would give more parents a reason to get less directly involved. How many times the word fuck appears in a film is not going to give one an idea of the context in which the word is used.

m.

J.J. Maxx
01-16-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Mercy
I like the idea, JJ. Unfortunately I see too many obstacles and do not think it is really feasible. First would be the legality of exhibiting the material without proper licensing. Many films would not want all of their naughty bits being shown for various reasons. The studios of films such as The Crying Game and Drowning By Numbers would most likely object to having their pivitol plot points given out before the film is seen.

The scope is daunting, to say the least. The MPAA has been managing vague ratings for films over the course of many years. Covering all the films made since the inception of the rating system would take a great deal of time and resources. If you are up to it, more power to you!

You can not avoid bias. I believe you would try to but it is not possible when the ratings themselves contain bias.

Personally, the only thing I have against it is that it would make things easier. It would give more parents a reason to get less directly involved. How many times the word fuck appears in a film is not going to give one an idea of the context in which the word is used.

m.

Well first of all I would start with whatever movies were in the theaters at the time. I would start from there and not go backward in time. You're right that would be hard.

I don't think there are any legalities involved. It would be no different than writing a review for a movie. And reviews give away plot-lines all the time.

Also, I know I won't be able to appease all the parents but I think if they need to see what context 'fuck' is used in a movie to decide whether they want to let their kids go see it or take them then I think they are splitting hairs. I mean, how many good contexts are there for that word?

zfreak2004
01-16-2003, 09:38 PM
He did not say that he would be showing, but only telling about it. I can't see how that would get anyone in legal trouble.

Paradox
01-16-2003, 10:44 PM
i've seen that type of website already out. unless you've got something unique to throw in, i suggest that you don't waste your time.

gdorf
01-16-2003, 11:46 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea. There is an enormous difference in, say.. The Matrix and American Pie, yet they are both rated R. Good idea..

.. Just don't tell my parents about it ;)

Jemsee
01-17-2003, 12:02 AM
Reasons For Movie Ratings (http://www.filmratings.com/)

Typed in "lord" in their search and got this plus many more in results.

Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002)
New Line Cinema
PG-13 Rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences and scary images.

They don't have the # of swear words like you would have and I think that would be a nice peace of information.
So many times have I wondered why a movie gets the rating it does.
But like Marcy says "The scope is daunting, to say the least."
I hate to discurage you in anything but the work would be laborious and your fear may be realised by starting and not being able to keep it up.

Paradox
01-17-2003, 12:09 AM
THIS (http://www.kids-in-mind.com/) is what you were thinking of. EVERYTHING about the movie and it's scenes and why it was rated that. that's what you were going to make. as i said before, this website has already been done.

EXAMPLE: Black Hawk Down
Based on the October 1993 U.S. relief mission to Mogadishu, Somalia, that turned unexpectedly horrific and bloody, the film details the events in graphic detail: A Delta assault force was supposed to arrest top lieutenants of a warlord who was stealing relief packages meant for the starving population. But when two Black Hawk helicopters were shot down the ensuing battle with heavily armed Somalis ended with 19 dead Americans. With Josh Hartnett, Eric Bana, Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore, William Fichtner, Jason Isaacs, Jeremy Piven, Sam Shepard and Johnny Strong. (2:24)

SEX/NUDITY 1 - We see a few men without shirts while playing basketball. A man makes a hand gesture representing masturbation.

VIOLENCE/GORE 10 - Many of the enemy are shot and blown up and many of the U.S. Rangers and Delta Force troops are killed or injured, usually in bloody ways. A man with a huge bloody wound on his leg is operated on (blood sprays from the wound): the medic attempts to put his hand into the hole in his leg in order to retrieve the end of an artery, he gets it but loses it again (in the process the injured man screams in agony and eventually passes out, and eventually dies from his injury). A blood-covered man lies dying on the street and we see later that he was cut in half; a couple of men pick him up and we see dangling tissue from the waist down. An RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade) hits a man and he is blown to pieces, a man is shot in the neck and we see lots of blood spurting from the hole, a man's gun is shot out of his hand and we see his blood covered thumb dangling, a man is shot in the abdomen and is very bloody, a man is shot in the head and there is a lot of blood, and a man is shot in the arm and then repeatedly at close range (we see him jerking from the hits and moaning). A man is shot in a Humvee and falls out onto the ground, and a gunner in a Humvee is shot and falls into the vehicle onto another man's lap; he is very bloody. A man is shot in the head and his eyes and face are covered with blood (he tries to continue driving his vehicle). A man is shot in the leg and arm, a man is shot in the leg twice, a man is shot in the back, a man is shot in the neck, and a man is shot repeatedly. A boy shoots a man several times in the chest (he is very bloody). Many civilians are hit with sticks and gunned down as they try to retrieve food aid delivered by trucks (we see blood spraying as people are hit and bodies fall to the ground). Many men are mowed down by rapid gunfire from a helicopter (they jerk when they are hit). Many bloody, mangled bodies are zipped up in body bags. A man finds a severed hand on the ground, picks it up and puts it in a pouch. We see a man's bloody neck wound as the bandage is replaced. A couple of men are attacked from behind and have their throats slit. A man is trapped in a crashed helicopter and is fired upon by a crowd of people. A helicopter is shot down; the helicopter spins and smokes, a man nearly falls out, it hits a building on the way down, it crashes into the ground and the propellers snap off as they hit (we see the pilot dead in the rubble and hear that the other occupants are injured). Another helicopter is shot down, it spins around and crashes into the ground and we see the crew unconscious. A helicopter is shot at by an RPG and in an effort to evade the strike the helicopter tips sending a man out the open hatch and he lands hard on the ground; we see him motionless with some blood on his ear and nose. A helicopter shoots many snipers lined up on a rooftop. A man fires an RPG at a truck which explodes taking its two occupants and the guns they were firing into the air (the man doing the shooting is thrown to the ground and covered with rubble). A man is fired upon as he runs through a street. A dead man is dragged from a crashed helicopter and we see that his legs are missing (we also see the mangled legs still in the helicopter). A man is hit in the face with a rifle butt. A man with a bloody swollen face is shown (he has been apparently beaten while being questioned). A man drives a flaming truck which crashes and explodes sending rubble flying. An explosion sends a man flying through the air, and explosions send rubble through the air. An RPG is fired into a building where men are seeking cover. A group of people jump on a crashed helicopter and begin pounding on it, they take two dead men out of the helicopter, remove their uniforms and carry them around the street while cheering. Helicopters land on the ground and soldiers unload with guns drawn; firing starts back and forth across a marketplace. A man carries a bloody little boy across a street. In a hospital scene a lot of blood pours onto a floor and a man struggles to clean it up. We see a dead body being wrapped in a cloth and tied with ropes. A mob of people close in on a helicopter crash site. A helicopter chases a car and pulls it over, soldiers with guns drawn approach the car to remove the man inside. We hear that 300,000 people have been killed in a civil war, and 19 Americans and over 1,000 Somalis killed during a battle. The Somali militia forces descend on a marketplace, they pour gasoline all over and start fires which billow a lot of thick smoke. A man hides in a house with a woman and children inside; someone outside shoots at him. We see a wild boar running through a field and then see it turning on a spit. There is talk of a man having shot himself in the head while playing Russian roulette. A man sketches a scary looking warrior. Soldiers have target practice on a beach. Men fire weapons in the air. A soldier is threatened by his commanding officer with a nasty punishment (to lick toilets clean). A man vomits. A soldier has a seizure and falls out of his chair onto the floor writhing; it is revealed that he has epilepsy. A man is seen with a bandaged hand. A man goes deaf from being too near a gun when it is fired. Two helicopters are blown up.

PROFANITY 8 - 35 F-words, 2 obscene hand gesture, 21 scatological terms, 10 anatomical terms, 15 mild obscenities, 7 religious profanities, 3 religious exclamations, many derogatory terms for Somalis.

DISCUSSION TOPICS - Famine, starvation, the U.N. and peacekeeping, militias and warlords, civil war, genocide, idealism.

MESSAGE - Bad military planning leads to disaster; it's better not to underestimate the enemy and in war expect the worse and you won't be disappointed.