PDA

View Full Version : MIDIs

Jax24
01-15-2003, 07:09 PM
:angry: Could somebody please help, for some reason my computer will not play MiDIs and that is taking a lot of the fun out of ZQuest, and also how do you use the grabber-w?:confuse2:

System Error
01-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Explain the MIDI problem better. All I can tell you right now is that sometimes, some computers/programs don't like certain MIDIs.

Jax24
01-15-2003, 08:21 PM
What I mean is like ill get on my Windows Media Player and select a midi and it'll say that it's playing and stuff but no sound will come out and then the same when im in zquest itll say that it's playing the midi (when i choose the "Play MIDI" feature under etc. menu) but no sound will come out, and then when im playing zelda classic and a midi should be playing, ther isnt any midi. Also, Midis used to work but i stopped listening to them for a while and the just stopped the next time i tried to listen to it, also if it helps, i downloaded them from: http://www.kasuto.net/midis.php?main=midis/midis.html

VEL
01-15-2003, 08:50 PM
It's possible that the midi volume is turned down on your computer. On my computer there is a yellow speaker looking thing, near the time, in the bottom right corner that is used to adjust the volume.

Jax24
01-15-2003, 09:21 PM
nope that aint it

Dr. Mutagen
01-15-2003, 09:44 PM
That's happened to me a couple times in the past. It seems like whenever I play a midi while on the web, the internet shuts down and I get no sound from either ZC or Zquest. My advice would be not to play the Media Player before you get on Zquest. If that's not the problem, my only guess would be that your computer doesn't support a midi player.

Jax24
01-16-2003, 10:32 AM
nope, like i said i was able to play them some time ago.

Zaggarum
01-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Anyway. the grabber-w is a program that allows you to create sfx.dat files. For example you can create a BS Zelda sounds fx. Or what I am doing right now a Zelda 2. :D You rip wave files and use this to make them. ;)

Jax24
01-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Is there a program that will make it easier to rip tiles?

Jax24
01-23-2003, 10:17 AM
How do you rip tiles?

Blonde799
01-23-2003, 01:16 PM
If you can, make a .zgp(graphics pack) file or a screenshot, then go into the tile editor, then select grab. Go to file, and load the desired file. Look at the top of the load menu to see what stuff it can accept.

Zaggarum
01-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Remeber, you can also grap off of Bmp files. Those are the ones you use in paint.

Jax24
01-24-2003, 12:31 AM
Cool thanks everyone

Verbatim
01-24-2003, 07:11 PM
In terms of the midi problem...did you right-click the yellow speaker icon and go to "open volume controls"? Just clicking on it brings up the volume control for everything, but right-clicking it, and opening the volume controls brings up a wide variety of controls, mine has "Wave Balance" for .wav files, "SW Synth Balance" which I expect is for midis and mods, "CD audio" balance, and "line in" balance. Make sure anything you think might be midi isn't muted and has a good volume level.

I've also had occasional problems with other programs interfering with volume...for example, one version of Realplayer caused a weird side-effect in that if you set its volume control low, nothing would play audibly on the whole computer, even though the regular Windows volume controls weren't changed.

Saro
01-25-2003, 02:38 PM
I see you downloaded them from a site called 'Kasuto'... Kasuto was a dead town in Zelda 2, so that could have something to do with it... :odd:

fatcatfan
01-25-2003, 03:12 PM
lol @ Saro. Good one.

Make sure also that your "multimedia device" settings don't have a MIDI port set as the default device. A MIDI port is what you'd use to connect a MIDI capable keyboard or other musica device to the PC. Most sound cards have the hardware on there even if they don't have an external port, and so windows has that hardware in it's list. If that device is selected instead of the proper midi device, you're essentially routing the midi output to the quantum ether.

Jax24
01-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, @ Verbatim, that was it, not quite but i right clicked and went to Ajust audio properties and changed the type of player for midis. Also, thanks to everyone else who helped, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to ask.