PDA

View Full Version : Contest of Courage Discussion 2

Dr. Mutagen
01-14-2003, 01:23 PM
I've decided to set up a new COC discussion thread here. First and foremost, I deeply apologize for the screenshot mess. I was way too excited when I found out how to post images that I wasn't very comprehensive about choosing screenshots. I tried to download the Pure tileset yesterday but all the tiles on my game file were screwed up when I imported the new tileset on my quest, so I guess I'm stuck with the classic graphics. :disgust: Those screenshots hardly scraped the surface of the game, and despite the unoriginal graphics, the quest is quite creative IMO. That aside, here's the deal: After I finish Level 7 and do some modifications on the overworld, tiles, and sprites, would anyone be up for a demo of Contest of Courage?

ShadowTiger
01-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Sure. Would you like me to modify any of the tiles for you? I've pretty good with tiles, or so I'm told. I could lend you the use of my Gothic Tileset it you're interested too. Merely ask.....

But really, consider trying more things to get the classic touch out of it. I think that Z1 graphics are getting -really- tired. Then again, Microplex by Foxx was great, so people's biased feelings against them aren't justified at all. :shrug: So after L7, why don't you show us the demo. I'm sure lots of people would be asking for help, and patting you on the back, etc.

carrot red
01-14-2003, 05:19 PM
Sure, upload the demo and we'd be glad to try it.
I myself wasn't able to view your screenshots, so I'm not biased.
Level 7, you say? How many are you planning?
Not too long I hope, not too hard like Foxx's level 4 (I still have nightmares about it) and not too easy, cause then where's the challenge

Dr. Mutagen
01-14-2003, 05:57 PM
I'm planning 10 major levels (the last one has several sections), an overworld, an underworld, and a few minidungeons. Megaplex was a good game although I couldn't get past Level 3. Some other good Classic Tileset quests include JayeM's Planet Quest and Frostmaster's Zelda Hyruin. Yeah, I'll try to get Level 7 and the sprite modifications done as soon as I can. Might be a while, since I'm still working on Moon Rock (Almost done) and I planned for Level 7 to be quite large.

carrot red
01-15-2003, 05:47 AM
Good going
Foxx's quest is Microplex and I almost gave up in level 3 too, but I'm no quitter

Dr. Mutagen
01-15-2003, 10:37 AM
I'll release the demo with the original tileset to see how things go with it. If people still don't like the graphics, I try to shop around for various other tilesets. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that I also need to do a little more work on the title screen and create an intro sequence. This might take a few weeks to get the demo uploaded, two at least. Of course, I'm also trying to find time to update my webpage, since there really isn't a whole lot to it besides the screenshots. Just be patient. It'll get here soon enough. :)

EDIT: Doh! I always get megaplex and microplex mixed up! :banghead:

carrot red
01-15-2003, 11:11 AM
Take your time and don't do too many things at the same time.
You don't want to break any eggs

Dr. Mutagen
01-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Update time!! I just finished Moon Rock today and created the first room in Level 7. I also created a cool pallette combination for the level as well. It's sort of a dark gray with a fairly dark shade of purple. Also, I finally got the shadows to work correctly, so I can implement them in the quest. Stuff left to do before I release the demo: Level 7, a few things in the overworld, title and intro, remodifying the character sprites to look a little more original, and creating a download link on my webpage.

EDIT: If anyone has any questions about the game in general (such as what the content or level of difficulty is) feel free to ask.