PDA

View Full Version : Animating shutters

Nick
01-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Ok... people have told me how to fix this 3 different times, but I've yet to understand them. :shrug:

http://nick.purezc.com/stuff/prob_door.gif

Ok... the door Link happens to be coming thru is already shut when he enters the room, making it look like he walks thru a shutter. ALL of the frames to these doors are done with pure combo cycling (with 1 frame combo animation needed to get the combo cycling running). Anyone have any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? Explain the answer in English. :blah:

C-Dawg
01-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Have a temp secret combo below the door that closes it once Link is clear.

On a related note, you must be animating across at least two tiles per combo for there to be any delay at all. 1=0 for purposes of tile animation.

-C

Nick
01-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
Have a temp secret combo below the door that closes it once Link is clear.

On a related note, you must be animating across at least two tiles per combo for there to be any delay at all. 1=0 for purposes of tile animation.

-C

1) That won't work since dungeons usually have secret combos in them. These shutters are actual doors.

2) I'm not really aiming for any delay since having no delay makes the shutters fluid and stuff (after all, the close/open tiles only have 2 tiles. Making it any slower would probably make it look like it hasn't been oiled in months) :shrug:

idontknow
01-12-2003, 06:56 PM
wait, you want it to shut behind Link when he enters the room, but not without Link walking thru it...i'm kinda confused...is the door combo your using for the shutter door type the animating combo that looks like a dropping door?...will the door animate so that it "goes back up" after Link open's the shutters?

DarkSFK
01-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Nick, would making seperate open door combos that change to animating shutter combos after oh say 1 second work? Set up the open door combos, then have those combos loop to the animated shutters?

Nick
01-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
wait, you want it to shut behind Link when he enters the room, but not without Link walking thru it...i'm kinda confused...

If this were "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Dead" starring Link the Ghost, yeah. But it's not. :shrug:

I did kinda make that confusing though.

Well... thing is... the shutters are supposed to start closing after Link is already in the room... which is what the one opposite of his location does. I've tried adding an extra open frame to the start of the cycle and everything.

DarkSFK... as I said earlier, the shutters are pure combo cycling. There is no single animated shutter combo (I did this since combo animation never resets on the next screen). The shutter animation starts with a completely open combo, cycles to a 3/4 open combo, then a 1/2 open combo, then a closed combo. I suppose I'll have to get a screeny of the setup in Zquest in a few minutes since I can't explain this too well... :shrug:

Edit: Pics.

http://nick.purezc.com/stuff/combo_ani_set1.gif

The numbers in this first shot show the order of cycling for the closing animation of the north and south shutters. This is the problem area, so that's all I bothered to label.

http://nick.purezc.com/stuff/combo_ani_set2.gif

This is the info I've put in for all of those combos. Yeah, I purposely want it to animate that fast since it's smoother that way.

So... anymore suggestions. :confuse2:

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, this could have something to do with when combo cycling resets on each screen. It might cycle more than just the single screen (like parts of the next) and cause the shutter to already cycle before you get to it. Then again, this could be out there. :shrug:

DarkSFK
01-12-2003, 08:56 PM
But... wouldn't it work alright if you made the transition between the completely open one and the semi open ones longer than the animation to loop to the next combos? It would make Link go all the way through, but take longer, allowing him to move into the room before it loops to the next shutter combo. From there, you can make the fast combo animation.

Nick
01-12-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by DarkSFK
But... wouldn't it work alright if you made the transition between the completely open one and the semi open ones longer than the animation to loop to the next combos? It would make Link go all the way through, but take longer, allowing him to move into the room before it loops to the next shutter combo. From there, you can make the fast combo animation.

Ok... I guess I didn't say this right...

It's already shut before the screen completely scrolls. No animation occurs to cause it either. :shrug:

Ganonator
01-12-2003, 09:40 PM
you boys need to think outside of the box. There are like 4 different places in Door combo sets for OSHT and OLK etc. For the open shutter, make it the animation. As for closing it behind him, well thats a completely different box altogether

Nick
01-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Ganonator
you boys need to think outside of the box. There are like 4 different places in Door combo sets for OSHT and OLK etc. For the open shutter, make it the animation. As for closing it behind him, well thats a completely different box altogether

You, boy, need to realise that's what I'm doing. :laughing:

Edit: I'm doubting this is fixable like people kept claiming without jumping so many hoops, it's not worth it. I'm thinking this is due to how combo cycling is handled at the moment, so I'm not fiddling with it anymore. :shrug:

plith
01-12-2003, 11:39 PM
EDIT: I'm thinking it over... my answer doesn't make enough sense. Just forget about it. No one really needs doors like that anyways.

ShadowTiger
01-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Heh heh. Maybe.

I'm not sure, but have you tried the following?

1) Make a blank door passage combo in the combo page. (Another one.) Then make another one with it closing. Have the first open door combo to animate through a couple identical ones.
2) Have that open door combo cycle to a door that's shutting. Then have that cycle to a fully closed door.
3) Have the first open door frames under the shutter.

I know that those aren't really clear, but that's the only way I can think of doing it. I've got an example quest somewhere in my pocket.........

So anyway, when you enter, the door is quite open, but by the time you enter the room, the door should be closing behind you, then when it closes, it will stay shut. And it's all due to Combo Cycling. :drool: