PDA

View Full Version : What do ya know...

Starkist
01-11-2003, 07:47 PM
This past week I have had some computer problems (we just got a whole new system, but it has problems of its own...) so I was gone for my two year AGN anniversery. Two years of my life, that is 10%.

Anyway, every few seconds, or even few minutes sometimes, the whole system pauses. The mouse stops moving, the keyboard stutters, the music skips. I do not know what is causing it. I have disabled almost every service and application, I have gotten rid of the networking conflict, I have deleted any spyware, I have even turned off virtual memory for the time being. Nothing helps. Anyone have an idea?

Deviance
01-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Maby you aren't getting enough juice to your computer?

Rafnul
01-11-2003, 07:50 PM
My computer does that sometimes. I think its the end result of a virus that I had, and the problem persists even after the hard drive was reformatted.

And also, we have a game of chess to get played.

Starkist
01-11-2003, 07:52 PM
I know that, I've been gone working on this for the past week.

The computer is brand new, just built it last night. 350 W power supply, no problems there. 60 GB hard drive, with 53 G free. P4 2.4GHz processor and 512M ram. It is really frustrating.

Deviance
01-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Try clearing the bios

christiankhs
01-11-2003, 07:58 PM
that happens to mine , its to much garbage you download and clean , and download and clean again , you need more RAM for that

edit: new , and 512 mb RAM? then your comp has a strange problem ,its just too powerful it cant handle its own power :lmao:

Starkist
01-11-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm wondering if it is the processor... the fan speed is a tad low but well within nominal range. Or it could be the DVD drive... is there a setting somewhere to make sure Windows is not accessing it every few seconds? (I used to have that problem in Win98)

Ich
01-12-2003, 12:11 AM
One obvious solution is to buy a Mac, and experience the difference. Try defragging, and running Ad-Aware again.

Starkist
01-15-2003, 05:27 AM
Macs are evil incarnate, they are tools of the computer illiterate.

By the way, I fixed the problem. Still not sure what was causing it though, perhaps my network adapter being slightly out of the PCI slot could have been it. Who knows.

Shadowblazer
01-15-2003, 05:29 AM
Heh, there are 40 PC's and 8 Macs in the lab I'm supervising right now. Guess with 8 are the most trouble... ;)

Cronic
01-15-2003, 05:55 AM
/me is Glad PC's are stearing towards better overall music and media capabilities so people won't think Macs are the answer to their lack of overall talent =)

Fatty Lumpkin
01-15-2003, 05:33 PM
When I turned my computer on earlier it made a strange grinding noise. Then XP (yeah, I know it's crap, I want linux, but I didn't pay for the comp) wouldn't load all the way. Then I restarted it and it was fine.

SSJDragon420
01-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Ugh sometimes I just hate computers.

AtmaWeapon
01-15-2003, 05:55 PM
Uhh, I guess the card out of the slot could have done it. I would figure the computer only checks plug and play stuff right when it starts up, but I guess yours was checking and checking and checking...

KJAZZ
01-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Shadowblazer
Heh, there are 40 PC's and 8 Macs in the lab I'm supervising right now. Guess with 8 are the most trouble... ;)

8 of the PCs?

Starkist
01-15-2003, 09:48 PM
XP is the best, Fatty Lumpkin, and you had best not forget it.

KJAZZ - Wrong answer!

Rijuhn
01-16-2003, 12:11 AM
XP really is the best. I think when I get enough money I'm going to get XP, but it's going to suck for everyone in my family because they will want to use it aswell, but one copy per computer you know. Oh well, I guess ME is fine for a few more years.

zables
01-16-2003, 02:46 AM
XP isnt all that bad
sure its got its problems, but what version of windows doesnt?

and i'll put money that the PCI port was the problem... cuz if it keeps trying to access the device and its not in there all the way its going to keep attempting... and each time it attempts it has to send power that way, if your processor and other cards are using any amount of power from the power supply, it will start to take from the toher devices (why it does that, i am not sure) thus the processor isnt getting the juice, and the fans not running as fast as it should and its starting ot heat up (and i think its in the neighbourhood of 12% preformance cut for each degree the processor tempurature rises), and so on and so forth...

thats my best idea
anywho, im glad to hear you fixed it :) :thumbsup:

gdorf
01-16-2003, 02:56 AM
Once again, the topic is slowly becoming Mac/Linux/windows. Heh.

I once had that happen to me after building a computer. I never did find out what caused it.. it just sorta went away. I didn't check the cards or anything, I just left it for the nite and *poof* it worked the next morning. :shrug:

goKi
01-16-2003, 06:49 AM
One of my computers used to do that, but thats because i found out that my brother had mixed PC100 and PC133 RAM.. when i took the PC100 64mb chip out it worked fine. But your problem must be something totally differnt if its a brand new computer.