PDA

View Full Version : CSet 9

Lonemind
01-11-2003, 02:16 PM
What does it do? I remember it having something to do with a dark room. Can you use it for drawing tiles and not have anything change?

Dr. Mutagen
01-11-2003, 02:47 PM
It actually has something to do with what level color you're using. If I remember correctly, Cset9 is the Level Specific Pallette. In other words, the colors change depending on the level color.

VEL
01-11-2003, 02:56 PM
It is used for some enemies like gel, zol, zora, and black moblin. It can also be different for each palette.

Lonemind
01-11-2003, 03:33 PM
So I can use it just like I use CSets 2, 3 and 4? The only difference is that the level color enemies will be those colors. Correct?
Is there an updated list of what enemies use which CSets? I know of the one on the Zelda Classic Website. It just doesn't have all the enemies on it. Besides I'm hoping that some of the enemies (particularly the black moblin) will have been changed to use a diff CSet. :P

Edit: New Question. What is Sprite Palette 2 used for?? Items? I can't imagine that you could use it for enemies. Or can you? *crosses his fingers and hopes* :laughing:

VEL
01-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Lonemind
So I can use it just like I use CSets 2, 3 and 4? The only difference is that the level color enemies will be those colors. Correct?
Yes.

Is there an updated list of what enemies use which CSets? I know of the one on the Zelda Classic Website. It just doesn't have all the enemies on it. Besides I'm hoping that some of the enemies (particularly the black moblin) will have been changed to use a diff CSet. :P
There probably is a list somewhere, but I don't know where (someone might have posted one before.). None of the enemy's Csets have been changed.

Edit: New Question. What is Sprite Palette 2 used for?? Items? I can't imagine that you could use it for enemies. Or can you? *crosses his fingers and hopes* :laughing:
I think it is for bosses, but I'm not sure if it is being used yet.

Lonemind
01-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Wonderful. Thanks again, VEL.

Cloral
01-12-2003, 01:07 AM
Sprite Pallete 2 isn't used yet, as everything that uses a extra pallete has been fit into Extra Sprite Pallete 1.

As for cset 9 - it is possible to use it like csets 2, 3, and 4, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you do insist on using it this way though, be sure not to include any of the enemies that use cset 9. Ones I can remember off the top of my head:
Zol + Gel Level color keese All tribbles Batrobe & bat Zora Black moblin Regular bubble and Rope2 if you set the cooresponding 'doesn't flash' rules
I think there's at least one more though...

Lonemind
01-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Great. Thanks Cloral. I'm trying hard not to use CSet 9. If I do happen to use it I'll make sure it's a town or just a dungeon without those enemies in it.
*chuckles* I assume a "batrobe" is the monster Link finds at the end of the "Bathroom Horror Quest?" Sorry, I had to say it. :p *dodges thrown tomatos*

ShadowTiger
01-12-2003, 12:08 PM
On a side note, Cloral, it really shouldn't matter, but I think that the Zoran nation would be offended if they used Cset 9. The Zolas use Cset 9, and the only thing that they mind is if someone hits them with the sharp edge of a vorpal blade. :spin: .... Zolas. The octorocks of the sea.

And I have a question: Based on what was said above about the extra sprite palattes, how are they used, and by what? How? Automatically?

Dr. Mutagen
01-12-2003, 12:30 PM
A few more enemies that use this Cset:

Super Darknut & Death Knight
Stalfos 3
Octorok on Crack
Mirrorobe

If I missed any more, let me know.

Lonemind
01-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Hmmm... so, if you leave this CSet black in all your sets do the enemies then show up as black?! That doesn't seem to be a very good way to color enemies...

Cloral
01-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Yeah, they would all look like shadows.

The 2 things that are the chief users of the Extra Sprite Pallete are the boss monsters and Link when wearing various rings. Somewhere there should be a list as to what exactly uses what...

Lonemind
01-13-2003, 03:32 AM
Oi. Very well. I suppose I'll just have to make sure all my CSet 9's are filled in then.
I hope that this will change within the next few releases. Perhaps all enemies should be assigned CSets in Sprite Palette 2. Hmm... yes... *strokes his pretend beard* This would be a good thing that NOBODY has ever thought of before I'm sure. (sarcastic aura) :laughing:

Cloral
01-13-2003, 03:58 AM
That would simply not work. Let me explain:

There is a finite set of 256 colors that can be on screen at the same time, which maps out to 16 csets of 16 colors each. 1 of these 16 is reserved for the boss color cset. Whenever a 'boss' monster comes onscreen, that cset is filled with the boss's cset from the Extra Sprite Pallete. Thus, only 1 type of enemy that uses its own cset can be onscreen at once (try putting a Digdogger and Gleeock on the same screen and see what happens). If each enemy had its own cset, then only 1 type of enemy could be on screen at once, which would be rather boring.

Lonemind
01-13-2003, 01:23 PM
Ahhh. Now I see. Why can the number of colors on screen not be increased to 24 bit? I think that's what it's called. Would increasing the amount of colors be too difficult to program?

Would this finite number also keep transparency from changing the screens colors beyond what is on the 256 color map? I had an idea of adding the colors I wanted into the cycling slots and then using transparency to change certain colors from their original into those in the cycling palette while keeping the originals elsewhere on the screen.