PDA

View Full Version : What kinds of midis do you like to use in your quests?

Dr. Mutagen
01-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Personally, I like upbeat midis that you can thump monsters to. I have all sorts of midis from the Mega Man series, Castlevania, Batman, Sonic, F-Zero, Earthworm Jim, various Mario games, etc. etc.... What are your favorite kinds of midis? Heroic? Mysterious? Creepy? Bizarre? Anything else? Share your quest music related thoughts here!

Praethus
01-10-2003, 12:21 AM
it really depends on the surroundings. For my forest area, I used a slow, woodwindy (is that a word o_O) tune. For the underground area, I used a percussion based techno midi. For my undead area I used a creepy hymnlike midi.

Ganonator
01-10-2003, 03:01 AM
i guess it all matters for the occasion. For instance, I like to put music to my quests that almost has a Chrono Trigger effect - it puts you IN the game. I mean, what would the shadow crypt be without the most exciting halloween/Castlevania music I could find?? Nothing... absolutely nothing...

Dr. Mutagen
01-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Have you tried using the midi for Alucard's Cave from Castlevania 3 yet? I plan on using it for my second quest. Damn, that music gave me nightmares!

Kairyu
01-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Try Stg. 3 from Castlevania: Bloodlines. Nightmare is NOTHING compared to The Discolored Wall.
Edit: Just a warning, though-it's pretty dissonance-intensive. But dissonance is good in really creepy areas... REALLY good.

You mentioned a few I like, though. I generally prefer something upbeat, except in scary places, and I really enjoy Japanese video-game techno stuff. Capcom is usually good for that, and there are some nice Castlevania tunes which either already sound like that, or have been remixed to do so (Theme of Juste from White Night Concerto comes to mind...)

The Y's series seems to have good Zelda-style music. I'm particularly fond of "Ivern Ruins."

Dr. Mutagen
01-10-2003, 10:37 PM
The midi to the Panic Puppet Zone from Sonic 3D Blast has a good fast techno beat to it. If you're going for something really heroic, you can try the midi to Area 1 from Bionic Commando. Anyway, where can I get the Discolored Wall midi? It needs to be a zip file since the Save Target As option doesn't work on my computer.

Petoe
01-11-2003, 05:03 PM
I try to use Final Fantasy midis (especially FF6) as often as possible because they rock! But the quest I'm currently working on is Mega Man, so of course I'm using MM midis and MM midis are awesome!
And I have even made some midis myself, but it's so time consuming that I preferably choose already existing midi.

Kairyu
01-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Finding it in ZIP format might be difficult... What sort of computer has a non-functioning "Save Target?" Although Bionic Commando is pretty good for music, I prefer Bionic Commando: Elite Forces. The only problem being there aren't any good BCEF Midis out yet, of course... :sweat:

Dr. Mutagen
01-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Kairyu
Finding it in ZIP format might be difficult... What sort of computer has a non-functioning "Save Target?"

MY COMPUTER!! HA HA HA! (Bad joke :spin: ) Anyway, for final, multi section levels, I like to use upbeat midis for the first couple of sections, dramatic midis for the middle sections, then a really creepy one for the last section.

Blonde799
01-12-2003, 12:42 AM
I try and use MIDIs that fit the name of an area. For example, if I named a level "Pumpkin Hill", I'll try and find the same named tune.

Dr. Mutagen
01-15-2003, 10:17 PM
For some odd reason, after I think up names for the overworld areas and levels, I always plan out what midis I want to use. I'm sort of a music buff, so I tend to do that.

TheNewLink
01-16-2003, 12:46 AM
Final Fantasy midis are the best ever, no doubt.

KJAZZ
01-16-2003, 02:44 AM
I try to use as little Final Fantasy midis as possible. Why? Yes, they are cool, but overused.

I try to use music that no one else uses, and that isn't from a game but still sounds cool. And the occasional game no one knows about..;)