PDA

View Full Version : A little challenge

Ganonator
01-09-2003, 06:45 PM
I don't know if admin is legit to participate, but I was looking through the Winamp3 xml file, and it encripts my password as -

6cdf4b1c23bf7a771ac62e60e2e65cf5

here's the challenge - who can figure it out??

Shadowblazer
01-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Heh, that bad boy is md5 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1321.html) hashed. One-way encryption. The only real way to crack it is using brute force. If the password itself is longer than just a few characters and doesn't have any dictionary words in it, it's going to take a very, very long time to crack. This is why 12+ character passwords with numbers and mixed-case letters are best :D

Incidentally, passwords are stored the same way in the database. Thus not even an admin can view a user's password.

Paradox
01-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Shadowblazer

Incidentally, passwords are stored the same way in the database. Thus not even an admin can view a user's password.
then why on plith's forums a while back did he suddenly start editing my websites (only a while later i saw it was him. i thought i'd been hacked or something lol)

now, though, i'm good enough to use... *counts* 6 passwords, randomly for different things

Ganonator
01-09-2003, 07:55 PM
i knew that nobody was going to really figure it out unless they were able to brute it out. of course, that would require a bunch of other password - encode combinations, and some knowledge of the VB encoder. thank goodness for security.

Shadowblazer
01-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Paradox

then why on plith's forums a while back did he suddenly start editing my websites (only a while later i saw it was him. i thought i'd been hacked or something lol)

now, though, i'm good enough to use... *counts* 6 passwords, randomly for different things Do those forums use vBulletin? I can't speak for any other board software so I don't know how they do things. It's certainly possible that the passwords on that particular board are unencrypted if they're using something other than vb.

Paradox
01-09-2003, 11:01 PM
not sure, might've been ikonboard. you can ask him...

Thunderbird
01-09-2003, 11:08 PM
phpBB is the only other BB software I know of that encrypts your password in their database. I don't think ikonboard encrypts the password, but I wouldn't know. I know UBB doesn't.