PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Advice

Zaggarum
01-08-2003, 08:02 PM
I have a big question to ask everybody. I still find it hard to fill the entire screen and make really complex dungeons. Deos anybody have suggestions to make this happen? Maybe your write it down or something. Or you just seem to do it. If anybody has advice, it would be really appriciated.

Dr. Mutagen
01-08-2003, 09:06 PM
I planned out the first part of Moon Rock in Contest of Courage. You'd fall down a pit next to a wall of blocks that blocks off an open area. You'll have to go through an underground passageway before you resurface at the other end (well.. a few screens up anyway..). A lot of the other stuff I just created off the top of my head.

EDIT: Speaking of COC, I should probably get to work on that right now. :sweat:

Blonde799
01-08-2003, 09:25 PM
You shouldn't force yourself to be complex and fill stuff. I'm not, and no one complains. As long as you don't have an 20 or so empty square rooms, you should be fine. Just put in a few statues, some pits, and a few differations(heh) in your rooms.

Dr. Mutagen
01-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Well said, Blonde! I'm a simple guy, and I have a simple quest (well.. not really.)

Zaggarum
01-09-2003, 01:06 AM
That makes sense. Thanks Blonde.

ShadowTiger
01-09-2003, 01:15 AM
I have another little tidbit. In deep, dark forests, (Dark is optional here though.) Switch the fill command to fill 8 way, so it can go diagonal. So when creating those forests that have the 2x2 trees, and the bottom half is the stump, and the top half is either the leaves that have the transparent background so they can go on layers, or the tiles that don't go on layers because they're already fitted to just fit, here's the easy way.

First, fill every other space with a right stump tile. Then select the opposite stump tile, and do an 8-way fill via a ctrl-click. The rest of ground should fill with the other stump, and the ground should be covered by complete stumps. Then find the right match for the rest of the custom fit trees that don't go on a layer, and ctrl-click there, and see if it fits. Then do it with the other side of the tree tops, and your entire forest will be complete in a few simple moves instead of having to go diagonally, placing stump after stump after stump, then tree after tree after tree etc.

CJC
01-09-2003, 05:55 PM
The only advice I can give is to just go with the flow and decorate as you go. That's how I do it. It's very time consuming, but it works. Also, if you can use one of the old dungeons from the original to give your dungeon a shape, so that you don't have to worry about that. This may not always be possible, but it's a thought.