PDA

View Full Version : Bought music recently? You could get some money...

Starkist
01-08-2003, 03:29 AM
http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/english/default.htm

I saw it on the news, my mother's office checked it with our state attorney general, and even www.snopes.com says it checks out.

From the website:
The lawsuits, which are currently pending in the United States District Court for the District of Maine, relate to the retail pricing of prerecorded music compact discs, cassettes or vinyl albums (collectively known as prerecorded Music Products).

You may be a member of the Settlement Group and your rights against Defendants may be affected if you are a person or entity that purchased these prerecorded Music Products from a retail store during the period of January 1, 1995 through December 22, 2000.

Ganonator
01-08-2003, 03:36 AM
i guess if i wanted a quick $20 if the plantiff wins, i'd do it. But i'm lazy, and music prices are just fine right now.

Starkist
01-08-2003, 03:38 AM
It takes two minutes to fill out the form on the website. Also, the case is finished. This is a settlement. It is only pending in Maine.

El Oso Verde
01-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Personally, I do think that cd and dvd prices are too high. Cd's especially. I work at Sam Goody, which is related to Best Buy, but most of our cd's are regularly priced at $18.99 while theirs are around $12-$15. I was talking to my manager and found out that it's the recording companies (dun dun dun) that set the prices. They sell the cd's to the stores for about $17 a piece. So we have to sell them for $18 just to make a buck a piece. Best Buy actually takes a huge loss every time you buy a cd there. The way they make up for it is selling Refrigerators at a huge proifit (not sure exactly how much), and printer cables for $39 when it cost them $4.

AtmaWeapon
01-08-2003, 12:54 PM
I filed a claim. I may not cash the check if I get it though; I may keep it as a testament to how people took the man down.

Rafnul
01-08-2003, 06:21 PM
I think Cd prices are ridiculous. Back when my dad was looking into the buisness, it cost about 2-3 cents to manufacture a cd. That was about 8 years, ago so I'm sure the prices are less now.

Fiyerstorm
01-08-2003, 07:31 PM
lol...my mom wants to do it...