PDA

View Full Version : Symbols Game

Elemental Knight
01-07-2003, 08:00 PM
First off, this might be better off in Think Tank. But since it's a game, I'm putting it here. Those with the power to move this thread may move it as they see fit.

For those of you with at least a ninth-grade education in English, Literature, Humanities, etcetera, you know what a symbol is. In fact, you could probably pick a few out on a city street if you tried. This is kinda like that.

Basically, I give a symbol, and you connect another, different symbol to it. If I say Sneeze, you say Breath and the next guy says Wind. Each symbol should have a quick defenition, some facts, etcetera, so we know you know what you're talking about.

RULES, or "Golden Reed of Not Being An Idiot".

1. You get one point for a symbol that 'fits in' the chain, and three points if your symbol also relates to you. I'll award the points, thank you. If the thread gets popular, I might ask someone else to monitor the thread and control points. To claim the three-pointer, state how the symbol relates to you in your post (unless it's painfully obvious, like if Uncle Luigi posted Stupidity).

2. The symbol you put up should relate to the previous one somehow. If the last entry was on Fire, then the next one could be on Kindling, Ashes, Rebirth, Phoenix, or even Water ('exact opposite' is considered 'related'). If the relationship isn't obvious, then put it down in the post. A symbol that does not fit into the chain in any recognizable fashion will not receive points, and the next person can choose to either use the unrelating one or the last relative one.

3. Only one symbol per post. If you put down multiple symbols, then you only get points for one. The next person may choose which one s/he wants to connect to.

4. The source of the symbol must be listed. It doesn't have to be Bibliography quality, the name of the book and publisher or URL of the page used should do it. If the previous entry doesn't have a source, then use the last one that did. An entry without a source is treated like an enrty that isn't a recognizable link in the chain.

5. Don't be a dumbass. This one should be easy.

Now, to get the bal rolling.

RUBY:
- In classical antiquity, Rubies were considered emblems of good fortune. Russians believe that it is good for the heart, soul, blood, and mentality, amoung other things. They are also used in homeopathic medicines to clear up blood clots.
- Source: The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols, Penguin Referance, Page 815.