PDA

View Full Version : Fly like an eagle...

J.J. Maxx
01-07-2003, 10:44 AM
I'll admit it. I *love* fast-paced, linear flying games. I love just going in to free flight mode and just soaring high above the clouds or scraping the bottom of my plane on the grass just for the rush of it. I don't know why but flying games have always excited me.

I don't like games such as Microsoft Flight Simulator. Too slow paced for my tastes... I like the edge-of your seat adrenaline rush of cruising an F4U Corsair down a sandy beach with the water splashing up behind me as I skim the sand and see how close to the cliff wall I can get. There's something relaxing about it.

I recently found a new/old game for my PS2 recently. It's an older game but new to me because I always looked over it at Blockbuster. The game is called Sky Odyssey and it just went to the PS2's greatest hits line. (Which means it's a measly $19.99)

In it you can unlock a ton of planes and fly over alot of cool areas including caves, canyons and oceans... You can do an adventure mode, sky canvas mode and also a free flight mode with unlimited gas. :thumbsup:

I really like the way the flight engine works. The controls are smooth and the plane isn't jerky. I'm hoping to get some pics up of me flying my plane.

But it's just so cool when you see a cave and you invert your plane and fly through the whole cave inverted avoiding rockslides, waterslides and pillars of rock. And when you start to lose control and you miss a pillar by mere centimeters and you make it out alive you feel so good. You feel in control. It's a good feeling. :thumbsup:

However, it isn't for everyone because these planes have no guns. There's no killing, the music is more fanfare-ish and to the less imaginative it could get boring after awhile. But when your are still a godd ways away from your landing strip and you run out of gas, you better believe your in for a bumpy ride.

If this sounds familiar to any of you guys or you've played the game, post here! :) I'd love to hear your flight stories..

Fiyerstorm
01-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Never heard of it, but it sounds cool.

J.J. Maxx
01-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Fiyerstorm
Never heard of it, but it sounds cool.

Well, it's awesome. I love it. But have you ever played any flight sim games you like?

MottZilla
01-07-2003, 04:56 PM
I have a game I like, because its jet fighter flying missions, on Dreamcast (it may be on PS2 too) called Air Force Delta. It's really neat, and I have a blast playing it.

stormwatcheagle
01-07-2003, 06:57 PM
I have a game called Aerowings for Dreamcast. I like it. The planes are cool, but I enjoy crashing the flying dolphin.

Paradox
01-07-2003, 10:55 PM
i've got Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator... pretty good except for the fact the planes are a bitch to keep straight and attacking

i'm more into racing sims than flying sims...

Cronic
01-07-2003, 11:45 PM
I saw that and thought about renting it because I too seek the same thrills while flying (but you knew this I'm sure ;) ) What youre describing sounds a lot like Disney's Flight Sim made for the PC in 94 I think... It was good stuff =)

J.J. Maxx
01-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
I saw that and thought about renting it because I too seek the same thrills while flying (but you knew this I'm sure ;) ) What youre describing sounds a lot like Disney's Flight Sim made for the PC in 94 I think... It was good stuff =)

Yeah DC, I thought og you when I played this game. Mainly because I loved flying the Dodo so much in GTA3. This is the same thing. Loads of fun...

It also comes with a simple paint program to design your own custom emblems. ;)

KJAZZ
01-09-2003, 01:44 AM
Well, there's this game for SNES called Pilotwings..

Yoshiman
01-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Starfox 64! I liked flying around with no wings.