PDA

View Full Version : help needed!!!!!

Nite_Fire_Guard
01-06-2003, 01:18 AM
help!

here are my problems:

ONE:
my modem (33.6k) keeps disconnecting repeatively, like every 20 seconds to two minutes. This problem only happens at night. :odd: *During the day, it doesnt disconnect until I tell it to do so.* I called my isp and they wasnt very helpful. :( Does anyone have any ideals on what might be causing this and what might be done to stop it? My modem didnt always behave like this, in fact, its only been the last week or so. I have a pentitum 100 running windows 98 64 meg RAM and the modem is plug and play 33.6k modem, pm me if you need any more details. TWO:
Does anyone have any ideal what program I need to play *.aif sound files? :confuse2: They dont play in media player, winamp, real player, or sound recorder.

BTW...My computer and its parts are girls. The machine's named Kathy, :queen: and the modem is named Phoebe :female: (No, im not making this up) Perhaps, its computer PMS???

DukenukemX
01-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Well I would think it's your ISP. If it happens at night then it would mean your ISP has more people on at night and probably have the whole thing loaded to hell. I know someone who had similar problems with there ISP. By the way who is your ISP?

As for the *.aif sound files I would think Cool edit 2000 can play them. I think thats apples audio format so try also using Quicktime to play it.

GuitarmanTim
01-06-2003, 10:57 AM
indeed it is the Apple version of a WAV file.

Nite_Fire_Guard
01-07-2003, 01:56 AM
ok, found the problem with the disconnecting modem...

Its not the ISP's fault, Ive had the same service (texoma.net) for years, and never had this sort of trouble before. Anyhoo, turns out, my computer had worms. ICK! I got a virus scanner this afternoon, it got rid of the worms, and since then, have had no problems with the modem.

And thanks for the information about the aif files. I didnt know that quicktime would play sound files, will try that. It might just be my cruddy sound card, it doesnt play midi or bam files either.