PDA

View Full Version : Network Help/Advice Appreciated

gdorf
01-05-2003, 06:35 AM
I wanna build a computer with (really) cheap parts I have laying around my room.

This computer will have:
166mhz p2 proccessor
64mb Ram
4mb Video card
3 gig Hard drive
Floppy (temporary external Cdrom for installing OS, etc)
Cheap Monitor

Anyway, we have only 4 ports going out from our linksys router, and all four of these are taken. I was wondering if I could set it up so that my cheap computer is always on, and the connection goes through it my main computer. This way, I could still use my main computer for playing Online games, Surfing the net, etc. But I could also use this cheaper computer as a webserver/ftp server.

(router) <----------> (cheap server) <------------> (my computer)

My main questions with this are:

1: Is it possible?
2: What would I need as far as ethernet cards on the cheap computer. Should I get an ethernet card with both an input and an output, or can I just get two ethernet cards, and use one as an input and one as an output.
3: Is my cheap computer fast enough, or will it significantly lag the connection on my main computer.

I plan on installing Slackware to route the connection if I find this is a feasable idea. Mainly because I know slackware well. I probably won't install any Window Managers, or at least keep them to a minimum (def. not KDE), as I don't think the computer will run them well.

Any help you can give is *greatly* appreciated. I'm leaving for Frys sometime tommorrow, and would really rather get help from the people here rather than some rude employee who doesn't know what he's talking about. ;)

DukenukemX
01-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Why not just buy a cheap powered hub to connect to your Linksys router? You just connect your hub to the uplink port on the back. Not only adding more ports to your router but you won't need to go thru your little server there.

I would get more ram for that server of yours if you plan on installed Windows 2000 and make it act like a server.

vegeta1215
01-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Linux is the way to go! :thumbsup: If you needed a gui, you might be able to pull off IceWM (it doesn't use many resources at all)

I found this article, mayb eit will be of some help: http://www.serial-networking.fsnet.co.uk/linuxroute.htm

Now that I think about it, it would probably be cheaper to buy another Lnyksis router or something. But, if you have the time and money to build you've own, it would probably be a good learning eperience, and very fun to do. So, it's up to you.