PDA

View Full Version : Who here follows college sports?

Foxx
01-05-2003, 05:58 AM
Just wondering who does here besides AlphaDawg, TSA, and Starkist, who I know all do. Any who do will have seen the national championship game last Friday between the Ohio State Buckeyes and the Miami Hurricanes, considered to be the greatest football game of at least the last ten years. The Hurricanes were huge favorites to win before the game and yet the Buckeyes fought it out in the trenches to eventually win 31-24, in double overtime, and claim the national title trophy, their first since 1968.

I'm currently following the season of our basketball team (the Stanford Cardinal). We're off to a slow start against Berkeley (which should make inori happy), but I have high hopes for the rest of the winter.

Glenn the Great
01-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Nah, sports (with the exception of professional wrestling) are gay IMO.

goKi
01-05-2003, 08:00 AM
Aussies dont really get into college sports, and since i dont plan on attending college, nah.

Gerudo
01-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Glenn the Great
Nah, sports (with the exception of professional wrestling) are gay IMO. while i dont HATE sports, the only thing i really watch is pro-rasslin...

i been watching that since the late 80's

i couldnt agree more, Glenn

AlphaDawg
01-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Nah, sports (with the exception of professional wrestling) are gay IMO. Funny, my opinion is the exact opposite. I liked rasslin' back in the late '80s, when it wasn't made completely obvious it was fake. Now it's nothing but a male soap opera.

I'm not a big college football fan (I only really follow Penn State), however I did manage to catch the second half and the overtime of the Fiesta Bowl. It was quite a good game, even when you consider how terrible college overtime rules are. (Special teams and field position do have a lot to do with how most games turn out, you know.)

Paradox
01-05-2003, 02:16 PM
that game was awesome. but i don't usually follow college. mostly MLB, NFL, and NBA (sometimes PGA).

Maverick_Zero
01-05-2003, 04:18 PM
Pretty good game, all the kids were talking about it in school, I was ready to whip one of my books at them, they never shut up, with there big mouths and their dead eyes.

Starkist
01-05-2003, 04:57 PM
It was a good game. I'm sure Miami is upset about that pass interference call that took the win away from them though. Oh well, I was happy for them to lose. Miami had not lost since they got beat by Washington a few years ago. Poor Washington... 17 point lead over Purdue and they blow it. :( The Pac-10 had a really poor showing this year. Six teams in bowl games and only two win.

BebyGoku
01-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Well i dont usually follow sports at all i dont really get into them....think i watched like the first 5 minutes of that game....my dad loves it i kept checking in on it and from the maybe total of 7 minutes i saw it was almost interesting but thats coming from a guy that doesnt like sports

Tygore
01-05-2003, 08:44 PM
I would have watched it, but I was playing chess at the time... :nerd:

Sub-Zero
01-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Obviously by my last thread. :)

Foxx
01-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
The Pac-10 had a really poor showing this year. Six teams in bowl games and only two win.
Slight correction. We had seven teams in bowl games and only two won. Even worse. Well done to USC for their strong showing over Iowa to redeem some of the degradation. Either we don't seem to care about how we do in bowl games, or many of our teams actually didn't really belong in bowls.

I'm sure Miami is upset about that pass interference call that took the win away from them though.
The reviewers eventually concluded that the call was legit, or at least, should have been defensive holding, which would have had the same ultimate result. Clean national championship for the Buckeyes.

Starkist
01-07-2003, 06:01 PM
I actually felt the same way about the call, I thought it was a good one too. However all the commentators that night disliked it, and it could just as easily have gone Miami's way.

Washington led Purdue 17-0 in the first quarter and lost... :( At least we still have the win in the Rose Bowl over them two years ago.

moocow
01-07-2003, 06:07 PM
I don't watch many sports... just College football, and it was always Ohio State games that I ever paid attention to...

I used to watch wrestling, back in the 8th and 9th grade... but, like said before, it's nothing more than a male Soap Opera, and I hate soap operas.

Foxx
01-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Starkist
However all the commentators that night disliked it, and it could just as easily have gone Miami's way.
That's 'cause the commentators focused on the tail end of the play, rather than the path of Gamble (OSU) and his holding defender en route to the point of incompletion. At least 75% of college football commentators are jabbering airheads.

I sympathize with your loss to Purdue, seeing as we experienced the same damn thing against Oregon State on Nov. 16 (as well as two earlier games on the road). We're up 21-3 with the second quarter almost over, they get a field goal right before the half, then we go through a classic case of "choking" in the second half as they storm back to win. AARRGH!

Axel
01-07-2003, 06:22 PM
I resent the idea of college sports. I think it allows people who have no interest in higher schooling into college, and subtracts from college funding. but I hate sports in general, so its not limited to just those...

stormwatcheagle
01-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Nah, sports (with the exception of professional wrestling) are gay IMO.

Bah. The stuff on tv is not a sport, but the real stuff semms homosexual. Streetfighting on the otherhand, is good. I wanna see the UFC championship.