PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell PC Demo problem again...

3-Headed Monkey
01-02-2003, 05:23 PM
I doubt anyone actually saw my last SC demo problem, but I have a new one. When I start the game, it's just a blank screen, it freezes up, and Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work so I have to hold down the power button to restart or unplug my computer and take out my battery. Does anyone know how to fix this?

And don't just say I wouldn't have this problem if I had the XBox version.

DukenukemX
01-02-2003, 05:46 PM
I've run that demo on both my main PC and my laptop. Both work fine and don't crash. My laptop has a Radeon 7500 and my main PC has a Radeon 8500 and both run Windows XP.

Tell me everything about your hardware from Video chip down to system chipset. What driver version your using and What OS your using. I can probably tell you what and where to download drivers and updates that might help you.

Just telling people your PC's problem won't help unless we know what your PC has. Sounds like a video driver problem but I don't know what chip you have.

3-Headed Monkey
01-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Actually, I just got the newest drivers. Someone on another message board where I'm asking the same question put a similar question except you ask more. I'll post what I put on there, plus extra:
Ok, I'll give a detailed explanation of what happened, from the beginning. I tried starting it up for the first time, freshly downloaded, and I got a "General Protection error." I found the fix for that on this forum (official Splinter Cell forum), but instead of using 800x600, I had to use 1024x768. Then I had a "Failed resetting mode." I asked Ubisoft and they said to update my video drivers. I did that, and now I have no error messages, but now when I start up, it just freezes. I have a blank screen. It doesn't even get to any menu or intro or anything, it's like I double click on the icon and it looks like it's loading for awhile and just freezes and the screen is black.

Here's my specs, from DxDiag:
Operating System: Windows Me (4.90, Build 3000)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Inspiron 4000
BIOS: Phoenix
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~850MHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 124MB used, 1668MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0 (4.09.0000.0900)

I know these specs aren't exactly ideal for this game, but I think it meets the minimum requirements.

The reason I'm posting here is because Ubisoft refuses to help me more than they have because it's just a demo.

Here's the extra stuff, I got it from the EAsy program:
----EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : Mobility M3
Video Driver : ATI2DRAI.DRV
Driver Version : 4.13.01.7166

Sound Card : ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)
Sound Driver : es198xdl.sys
Driver Version :

DirectX : DirectX 8
Operating System Windows ME 4.90.3000

----EASy System Output---------------------------------------

BIOS Info
Name : Phoenix
Version : Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A18
PNP :
Manufacturer : (Standard system devices)

CPU Info

CPU Count : 1
CPU Type : 803 MHz GenuineIntel
6 8 6

RAM : 255 MB Total
82 MB Free
Virtual RAM : 1792 MB Total
1665 MB Free

Operating System : Windows ME 4.90.3000

Default Browser : Internet Explorer
Version : 5.50.4134.100

Temp Directory : C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\
Size : 41 MB

It detected a few things wrong, though, I have DirectX 9, not 8, and I have 866 mgz, not 803.

DukenukemX
01-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Well ok first off you don't have the latest video drivers. Go here (http://www.rage3d.com/files/?page=rage128) and get the unofficial drivers. Your driver is 4.13.01.7166 where as the official is 4.13.7192 and unofficial is 4.13.01.8006. So your drivers are pretty old.

I would uninstall the drivers you have and clean install the new drivers as it helps sometimes. Since you have a Intel CPU I'm guessing you have a Intel chipset in your system. So click here (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm) and download Intel® Application Accelerator for your OS. If version 2.3 won't install then try 2.2.2. 2.3 refuses to install on my laptop.

Unless for some odd reason you have a Via or SIS chipset then you'll need there drivers but I'm pretty sure you have a Intel chipset. For your Ess sound card go here (http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm) and download the latest drivers for your sound chip. I think you have a ES1948 Maestro-1.

Try all this and if it still happens then I would look into getting Windows 2000 installed on that laptop. Windows ME is kinda shitty and it limits at 256 megs of ram. It doesn't use more the 256 megs of your ram. You could probably use Windows XP but that maybe over kill for you.

:note:
Rade 128 drivers and mobility Rage 128 drivers are interchangeable but require you to rename the drivers. This is explained at here (http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/rage128.htm). You may need to rename and play around with the drivers a bit to get them installed. You can unpack the latest drivers for your mobility card and rename the 4.13.01.8006 openGL and direct 3d driver files and move them into the unpacked drivers which would replace them. So when you install the mobility drivers you install the new openGL or Direct3d drivers. A hack job but it works and may help.

3-Headed Monkey
01-03-2003, 01:33 AM
Well, is it a good idea to use unofficial drivers? I always got the idea that they might mess up my video. And the reason I thought they were the newest is because they were the newest on the dell site.

I am thoroughly confused... about the driver name switching thing... I have a friend who is better than I am at stuff like this, I might ask him.

DukenukemX
01-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Dell, Compaq, Hp, and etc don't always have the latest drivers. They will warn you that certain laptops go thru different hardware changes but 100% of the time they never go off standard.

Unofficial drivers just mean someone else released them but it wasn't from ATI. The only updates that should concern you from Dell are firmware updates. Otherwise get your drivers from some place else.

3-Headed Monkey
01-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Ok, thanks for your help, although I won't be able to put it into action for awhile.