PDA

View Full Version : High flags and Low flags

DarkFlameWolf
01-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Have tiles the ability to carry two flags at once. Having a high flag, which takes priority, and a low flag, which just gives other attributes to the tile. Here is one example of what one could do with this:
Have a invisible block they could push onto a push trigger, but can only be seen through the lens of truth. So we'd have the push flag as the high flag since it takes priority and we don't want the block suddenly appearing when we move it. And we want the lowflag to be a secret tile image of the block itself as a additional property of the tile so when viewed through the lens of truth, the players sees that they are indeed, pushing a block.
True, it'll be a change in interface when using flags in ZC. But I'm sure others can find more uses for the ability to use two flags for one tile space.

DarkFlameWolf
01-01-2003, 08:10 PM
here's another use for the hightags and lowtags. What if I wanted a push block to be in a room that activates shutters, but I don't want it to unveil the secret tiles over the pots. why are their secret tiles over the pots? Because I have a undercombo set to a opened chest, because there is a chest in the same room as the pots. Forcing me to use the secret tile flags if I want the pots to work in conjunction with the chest. But I also want the pots to not get activated when I push the block. So setting the lowtags (non-priority) for the pots and a high priority for the block. The block won't activate teh pots, just the shutter door. So we can have a moveable block, breakable pots and a chest all in one screen.
Lowtags are non-priority (non-activatable) and hightags are priority (activatable). What do you all think? I truly think we could benefit from this.

KJAZZ
01-02-2003, 01:47 AM
OMG! You double posted! ;p

I like the idea thought, I haven't seen it been suggested that way before, but I agree we need this..

Ganonator
01-02-2003, 03:05 AM
also the combination of a push-block and a secret item flag would be nice.. it would be a good idea for a mini game if you had to find a key under a push block or something... just another thought

DarkFlameWolf
01-02-2003, 03:07 AM
exactly, in level 3, I have a bunch of slash-item chests with some pushable blocks. As anyone knows with undercombos. This simply is not doable. Having two flags like this with the lower flag not being activated by any means except direct contact with the player (sword or lens, etc.) would help alleviate this problem. What say you DN?

DarkFlameWolf
01-04-2003, 03:31 AM
Double posting, yeah, yeah, but I seriously think this could be helpful, here is another useful example. If we add a shovel as a NEW item in the next beta, we can attach the shovel on the lowtags, since I've stated they can only be activated directly by the player, not by pushing a block or burning something. (directly activating something meaning slashing it, hammering it down, looking at it through the lens or in this case, shoveling it up. We could attach lowflags to every tile we want the player to be able to shovel up the dirt and find a item in the ground. And the lowtag will display exactly what the tile will look like after its been shoveled. But that's only for special cases when we want the same screen to have different shoveling aftermath tiles. Otherwise, we can make a new Under Combo called the Shovel Under Combo and that applies to the whole screen when shoveling. What do you all think?

Ganonator
01-04-2003, 03:49 AM
a good start at least... but even if we have a so called 'shovel undercombo', it would open up the possibility for multiple screenwide combos

here is to solve your personal undercombo problem for now, anyway

in the screen with the pushblocks and the chest, have all of your flags ready to go. on layer 1, put what the undercombo SHOULD be for the blocks that move, so they appear covered. as long as they have the flag over them, when its all loaded into ZC, the 0-layer w/ those push flags will be ON TOP OF layer 1. it works, and that's how you do 2 different ones (it works for me anyway) .. good luck, i still really enjoy the high-flags and low-flag concept a bunch.

DarkFlameWolf
01-25-2003, 11:07 PM
guess my idea really wasn't considered, oh well, it had its possibilities.