PDA

View Full Version : Construction is hard work

Rijuhn
01-01-2003, 12:58 AM
I worked with my dad yesterday on the job. My dad owns his own construction company, but focuses only on reinforcing steelwork. My dad had 3 of his best workers, himself, and me to finish up the foundation to an addition to a local hospital.

Man, I gotta tell you. Lifting up, carrying, and dropping off 20-80 pounds of steel non-stop for 8 hours is hard work. It's hard, honest work, and it pays well, because most people in these times want soft indoor jobs, so the whole construction pay has basically gone up recently.

My shoulder, which had to endure plenty of steel, is a knotty mass of bruised tissue. My arms are barely strong enough to pick up a chair, or turn a door handle, and my back feels like it's about to give out whenever I make any move. But all together I feel great, because I know I just make 60 bucks yesterday, and worked the hell out of my body. I'll most likely still stay sore until Thursday, which is also the next day my dad wants me to help him.

My dad also told me that if I show enough promise he'd put me on the payroll and I'd be working with him whenever I'm not in college (Mon, Wed, Fri.) I see this as a golden opportunity to get back into shape, get a tan on my sickly white face, and earn a good chunck of money to help pay for a future car and student loans.

I think physical work is the best kind of work for me, because I like to do honest hard work, and I need to get my body into shape anyway. I work my mind enough at college and at home online anyway. I'm going to go lie down now, and happy new years everyone.

Drunken Tiger
01-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Congrats, i think!! :D

I wouldnt mind getting some excercise, and getting paid for it!! :p

Ganonator
01-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
It's hard, honest work, and it pays well, because most people in these times want soft indoor jobs, so the whole construction pay has basically gone up recently.

Very true indeed.. i know when I get out of college, the heaviest thing I'll have to lift is my notepad for planning computer games... right now, the only thing i'm trying to lift is my post count

Dracula
01-02-2003, 02:18 PM
I love doing construction work... I remember helping my dad on the job... I think I'd want to get a job at wear he worked... Probably working with casting or welding... I kick ass with metal work.

Flame Boy
01-02-2003, 08:56 PM
I hear ya there. I help my dad out in the summer with construction. Nothing better then getting paid to work your body, and I learned a lot of things. I like it a lot, and I'm looking forward to this coming spring. I can smell the wood being cut by the saw right now, well not really lol I've gotten some chunks in my eyes, and last year I got some tin flying in my face cuz I had to hold it as he cut it kinda tickled though.