PDA

View Full Version : zquest tutorial additions

idontknow
12-31-2002, 09:42 PM
could we please open back up the frozen thread above above making contributions to the zquest tutorial?! it needs to be update and i actually have some advice to give people and also would like to see what hints/tips others have to offer...some things i would like to add:
1. how to make cut scenes
2. how to a custom boss
3. how to make a day and night overworld
4. more

Ganonator
12-31-2002, 10:28 PM
this is actually what Blonde is trying to get to in his advanced user tutorial..

Happyman
12-31-2002, 11:07 PM
Actually...no offense to Alphadawg, I'm not trying to compete...I'm trying to get Ultimate ZQuest Tutorial to have all this stuff. I suppose I'd be open for all submissions (I'd just stick'em in a tobeadded.txt file in the UZQT folder on my CPU ;) ) but I'm not really working on it now for reasons stated in other threads.

Go ahead and give your explanations and I'll consider adding them (you will get credit).

idontknow
01-01-2003, 12:08 AM
1. Cut scenes: make the tiles as you would...then add the message string...if you want mutliple strings, attach strings to each other in the string editor. Check the allow fast messages quest rule if you want to do so. Use creativity to allow certain effects, such as people walking for example...you could fill the screen with animated tiles that make it look like the characters are walking by using the same animation patterns that conveyors use (make a floor tile and that copy that tile 15x more (i think)...then for edit each tile so that the tile itself is moved down one more pixel than the previous one until the animation looks appropriate...set the combo of the tile and animation to 16...speed should be about 8 i think. Then place the characters as desired. check the invisable link screen flag and the no subscreen screen flag. Now place Link somewhere along the bottom ledge (place the green square). Surround Link with solid, unwalkable combos, making them blend in to the rest of the screen appropriately. Now edit the side warp as necessary, making sure the bottom is the trigger. It is preferable to use the insta or insta-blackout warp. You can use timed warp as an alternate method of warping if you dont want the user to have to presss the down key but either way, you'll have to set the side warp because thats the warp time warps use. If you use time warps, go to screen data and enter the # of ticks (length of time)-remember that 60 ticks equals one second. Repeat all of the above for each screen. You could add enemies if you want screen where characters are "under attack"...if you want link to be invincible from projectiles (fireballs and stuff), place a clock item where link is and put a layer 3 or greater over it and that should do the trick. At the last screen, set the side warp to the first screen of the overworld. Use layer 6 for weather effects (rain/snow/fog/etc.) in your screens.

2. Custom bosses: after setting up the room's appearance, use layer one for the boss tiles and make sure the boss tiles are damage combos. Place enemies placement flags where the boss tiles are and check the screen flag invis. enemies. If you want a prize for beating boss (ex: heart container), check enemies-->item screen. Also check enemies-->secrets flag screen flag. Place the flag 16 on all combos that are boss tiles (on layer 2) define secret combo as a clear tile (this is so boss disappears after defeated. If you want it to show a dying animation, make the secret tile 16 the combo with the dying animation...then for that combo, designate the NEXT combo as a clear tile. (MAKE SURE THE FLAG IS ON THE APPROPRIATE LAYER) If you want boss to be defeated by a specific arrow, place arrows on tiles that use boss combos. Then make the arrow secret flag the same combo as boss combo. Then place secret flag 17 all around area where link can walk. Define this as a combo that looks exactly like floor but has a pit combo. Define tile warp as necessary to insta warp you to a clone room. Do this as many times as needed to make Link shoot X # of arrows or whatever at the boss in order to defeat it. If you want boss to fire something, place a statue combo underneath the boss that looks just like the floor and check enemy flag statues shoot fire. If you want it to shoot arrows, make the enemy a molbin. Remember though, the enemies placed over the boss is the boss's "HP" (hit points). This may sound confusing, if you need help, simply ask. *Remember to be creative!!!

3. 1st method: which i tried and works!...set up a designated spot where Link must play the ocarina. For my quest, i have owl statues for rright now. In front of each i have a whistle flag and surrounding that i have secret tile combos that match the ground but are pit combos. Then i set tile warp to insta warp to an identical overworld on a different map and dmap..the basic difference is that the other dmap uses a dark, NIGHT pallette-i'm using the puretileset graphics package. Certain dungeons or caves could only be entered during the day and likewise only at night. In addition some items are placed in certain spots at night that arent there during the day and tougher enemies roam around at night. This method makes it so you could manually choose whether you want it to be day or not. Remember, you can't have houses or caves where you want to warp between day or not however. You could do a similar method to make it where you have to shoot something with an arrow or activate a secret combo with another weapon, not just the whistle.
2nd method: using the latest beta, 182, you could set the time warps for every screen to X # of ticks and then set the side warps to the corresponding screen on a similar map/dmap like the above method. However, i dont think this method uses pit warps like people think and i've heard timed warps is still a little buggy so dont take my word on this one. Plus, you'd have to wait in the same screen to actually change btwn night and day because the time counter is not accumulative among different screens. However, you'd be able to have caves and houses using tile warps while maintaining timed warps since they use side warps (according to DN). I prefer the previous method because its your choice.
You could also do a similar thing with season changes. Of course, you'd have to make four or whatever copies of the same overworld...the first overworld, spring for example (use semi bright colors, short grass, bushes, rain etc.) , uses above methods to insta warp you to the second which appears to be summer (bright colors, blooming flowers, bright sun, etc.). The second map warps to third, fall (more of a gloomy shade, bare trees, falling leaves, etc.) The third goes to the fourth, winter (winter pallet, snow, dark sky, maybe christmas theme, decoratiions, snow covered trees, etc.) The fourth warps back to the first. This is more complicated but would be very appealing and very realistic. Each season would have unique effects and unique caves and houses. You could do a similar cycle with four different times instead of just day and night-dawn, day, evening, night-different doors are open at different times, different enemies for each, etc.-this is done best with the puretileset graphics package since it includes distinct pallettes for each of these.

BE CREATIVE; Many "tricks" can be pulled off using pits, weapons and secret flags, timed warps, instawarps, and possiblye timed warps (side warps). Use your brain and the possibilities are endless!

Happyman
01-01-2003, 07:11 AM
I've got 'em on my comp. I'll check for any others in the other thread too. ;)

idontknow
01-01-2003, 10:33 AM
huh?...you've got what on your comp.?

Lonemind
01-01-2003, 02:10 PM
I believe he meant he copied your ideas onto his computer, idontknow. :)