PDA

View Full Version : Advanced ZC use thread

Blonde799
12-31-2002, 04:54 PM
I'll deal with any mod talk later.

I heard a few requests for how-tos on how to do things like custom bosses, one-way conveyors, etc. and I thought I should post as to educate on such. If anyone would like to post tips/corrections, please do it here, so n00bs won't have to search.
Now, on with the edumacatin'.:D

1. Side Scrolling Water: To start, have two combos ready;the top part(for more realistic water, have this part animate like moving water), and the filler part, which is basically going under the top part. I also suggest you have the water tile's colors be blue, or gray. Copy and paste the room you want to put the water in on an blank screen, and designate where the water will be. Now, put the water screen on the room's 3rd layer or higher, and check the trans. option.

To make this watery enviroment even more realistic, have any combos under the water layer be slow walk combos. If you want a lava variant of the water, just make the combos under the layer damage combos.

2. Custom Bosses: To make one of these, you have to know layers, weapon themed secret flags, and pit combos.

I'll make this simple. First, make a tile or tiles that represent the boss. If you want a simple one, it should be a 1X1(1 tile), or a 2X2(4 tiles). Now in the custom boss room, set up the layers for the boss tiles. Next, specify its weak point by putting a weapon themed flag(burn, sword, boomerang, etc.) at the desired spot on the floor under the layer, put secret flags all over the floor except the weak spot, and have the secret flags become pit combos when the weapon flag is activated. Also, have the pit combos warp you to a screen with either the prize for for killing the boss, or another screen with the boss on it again if you want to do multiple stages.

If you want a damaging boss, put damage combos near the monster, so whenever link touches the monster, he receives damage. Want multiple hits for your boss? Take an enemy, preferable a gibdo, and place him in the weak spot specified, have the enemies->secret screen flag checked, and pen up the monster, by putting blocks around it so it won't wander outside the boss. I suggest you also have cover up layers and damage combos, to keep players from going behind the curtains.

Want your boss to have attacks? Put in some fire shooter enemies, and place them using enemy placement flags, or you can have attack graphic layers that damage you.

Repeat the whole process to put in multiple phases for the boss.

If you want a nice animated boss battle, use combo cycling to switch between none and pit combos and different screens to make the boss animate.

Custom Boss Tip:
Let's say you want a spider boss to capture you in webbing, if you decide to step in it. Do the animated custom boss trick, and have it do a scene where it throws webbing on the floor. Next, on the screen where the webbing shows in the floor, have pit combos on the webbing, and have them teleport you to a screen where link is captured in it, and set the timed warp tics to, maybe, 900 or more(if possible), then have the side warp(the warp timed warping uses) take you back to the screen where there was no webbing on the floor.

3. Cutscenes: These aren't as hard to make. Have the graphics, screens, etc. to make your scenes. Now start on the first screen, and place the desired graphics. If you want a string to start, assign the desired string to the room(make sure to link the desired string if you want a conversation). Now, when the first screen is done, now that we don't need that "press right" thing, you can set the timed warp tics. 10 tics equal 1/60 of a second, so chart it, and set it to how you want it.

If you want animated cutscenes, you can always use the flipbook method, which is pretty easy. Just make the tiles for the NPCs in each of their little animations, and set them in as many screens as it takes to do their animation scene(sword slashing, spell casting, mass killing, etc.). Now, have the screens set on timed warp tics that are low, about 600 or less, for each screen, so it looks like they animate, like a flipbook. You can use combo cycling and tile animation as well, but you'll have to be more careful as to how the animation aligns with the screen timing(in other words, more work with this one, just using less screens).

One-Way Conveyors: This is really easy to do. Have a combo cycle between a pit and conveyor, then have the tile warp set to a duplicate screen, where the top half of that combo is unwalkable, but link is under that half, so he won't be stuck. Now, on the next screen, have the same combo in the same place, but have it totally unwalkable, but have that screen be a timed warp screen, where link will be warped to the next combo down. Repeat this for as many screens as you want to simulate waterfalls, and such.

Puzzle Idea
Gobstopper Puzzle: It's called that because the tile changes colors everytime you trigger a secret, used in WE. Get a simple tile, like a ball, make two copies, and have the copies different colors. Now, start on the desired screen, and place the combo on layers 1 or 2(make sure the combo is totally solid).

Now, place a weapon flag on the ground below it, have the weapon secret be the same tile, and have the secret flag become a pit combo, and have the tile warp send you to a different screen, but have a different colored tile, with the same setup as the last screen(not with the same layer though). If you want to trigger boss flags, just have the next to last screen warp you to the desired DMap, have a penned up enemy, and have a kill all enemies item, along with the enemies->secret screen flag, and dungeon boss enemy flag checked. You can make multi-slashable walls, boulder moving puzzles, and other stuff.

Free Screen Scrolling: This is something I've found out while trying to make SSM more like metroid.:)

Set up a straight corridor with any desired tiles. Next, make duplicates of those tiles, and make halved versions of them. An example would be a square block. Instead of it being a whole block, just move the tile 8 pixels left or right in the tile editor, and it'll look like it's been cut in half. Do this with all the tiles that are in the corridor. If any tiles overlap onto other surfaces like rocky wall going into a flat white wall, just take the rocky wall tile, and use the x'ed color to make one half of it invisible, place it on layer, and have it overlap the white wall surface. Now, make a copy of the last screen you made, but put the above layer on top of the white wall, so it looks like the screen only moved half a tile.

Repeat the process for the next 4 screens, until the five screens look like a scrolling level when you look at them in sucession real fast in the map editor. Now for the warping part. At the first screen, set up a side warp to take you to the next screen, with an insta-warp. Now go to the destination screen, and set the blue square to half a tile away from the end of the screen(just to let you know, the set of screens are placed from left to right). Repeat til the end of the string of screens. Now, if done right, when link walks to the end of the screen, instead of the screen going to the next, it'll look like the screen only moved a few pixels, just like the sonic, metroid, and Z2+ games.:)

idontknow
12-31-2002, 06:07 PM
got any custom boss tiles? ;)

Happyman
12-31-2002, 06:17 PM
No, but SNES games do. Rip away. ;)... or draw them yourself.

BTW, I intended to do this kind of thing with the Ultimate ZQuest Tutorial...one reference to explain EVERYTHING about ZQuest. ;)

I'll consider adding any explanations that are given here. ;)

Blonde799
12-31-2002, 10:20 PM
Just edited my post show a way to allow more decent custom bosses. I'll try and add cutscenes sometime tommorow.

Um, can a mod pin this? I mean, it's valuable info, and I don't want it to sink, and AD can add it to his tutorial too, if he wants that is.:)

Happyman
12-31-2002, 11:09 PM
I have a modification to your custom boss explanation. Statue combos can also be used, not just fire shooter. I think Statue flags work better because it frees up already limited enemy space.

Blonde799
01-01-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Happyman
I have a modification to your custom boss explanation. Statue combos can also be used, not just fire shooter. I think Statue flags work better because it frees up already limited enemy space.
Yes, I already knew that, but you don't have to worry about covering up the FSs, which in some cases, where there isn't any room to fit anything else in the custom boss, FSs are a good choice to use.:)

Originally posted by idontknow
got any custom boss tiles?
Yes I do. If you PM me your email, I'll send some to you from my WE tileset.:)

Just added cutscenes and one way conveyors. I'll add some more stuff later.:)

idontknow
01-01-2003, 10:43 AM
blonde, i dont like to give people my e-mail because its my name and i dont wanta give myself away...maybe i'll make another account just for this forum.

i dont understand the one way conveyors..also, if your stuck in a unwalkable conveyor combo, will the conveyor work/will it still carry you around? and what layers do the combos effect Link on?...i thought just 1 & 2 because those layers are under him and are the only layers to affect his walkability but i'm not sure

Blonde799
01-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
blonde, i dont like to give people my e-mail because its my name and i dont wanta give myself away...
Understood. Although, I can't really see myself hiding my name from everyone else, because that's how I made friends in the net.

Alright, just to conform to you, I'll post the boss tiles publicly on my ZC page for a limited time, starting at 3p, and I'll take them off sometime tomorrow.

i dont understand the one way conveyors..also, if your stuck in a unwalkable conveyor combo, will the conveyor work/will it still carry you around? and what layers do the combos effect Link on?...i thought just 1 & 2 because those layers are under him and are the only layers to affect his walkability but i'm not sure
One way conveyors are better and easier to do if they're just cutscenes, and not the ones that give link the ability to try and resist. If done right, by the time the conveyor combo link was on becomes unwalkable, link will already be on the next one.

EDIT: It's up at my page. Dig in.:) Well, since this thread is sinking, I'll see if I can put it up at my page.:)

ShadowTiger
01-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Another tip: Multiple under Combos.

Simply place a secret flag over the thing you want as an undercombo. This way, you could have all the parts of the tall grass have an undercombo, not just the juicy middle. :naughty:

You can also do this with layers, but it's a bit more complicated.

Happyman
01-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Layer's more complicated?! I find it's less complicated...just layer a bush over a tile and make the under combo a transparent tile (on the screen with the layer)...I think...

Blonde799
01-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Hey guys, I know this really isn't that advanced, but I've perfected the technique I call.......free screen scrolling!!!:D I'll put it up now.:)

Ganonator
01-02-2003, 05:52 PM
i guess i'd have to see a working copy of free screen scrolling in action before i believe it... it sounds cool though.

blckscab
01-02-2003, 05:56 PM
Any chance of me having those boss tiles blond:)

me e-mail ([email protected])

thanks

Blonde799
01-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Ganonator
i guess i'd have to see a working copy of free screen scrolling in action before i believe it... it sounds cool though.
I already tried it before I posted it, and it looks fine(except the kinda choppy animation for link, but most will hardly notice it). I could make it better, but thanks to the fact that combos don't detect link on just one half of it, you really can't have the better one in a side scrolling world(it's possible on a zelda type world, but there's a chance of link missing the combo, therefore messing it all up).

Although, if you really want to see it in action, I'll send you a test demo of SSM in a bit.

Originally posted by blckscab
Any chance of me having those boss tiles blond:)
The bubble demon and dark magic sword from WE are up at my page. Go ahead and rip 'em.:) Unfortunately though, you'll have to fill in any animation frames that are missing.

death2004
01-06-2003, 05:27 AM
Blonde, i know a tequnique that i call "1 screen cutscenes" you might or might not know it, but make a moving tile (e.g. a moving desert tile) by taking the tile and moving it a pixel then copy and paste it and keep going until you have 11 frames, then make a screen with them and set large amounts of strings (set with next string) and there is your "1-Screen cutscene" note: these might be useful for any quest creator that didn't understand your cutscene piece (i have a "1-screen cutscene in my group quest)

Blonde799
01-06-2003, 11:06 AM
The one screen cutscene trick is only a cutscene with a moving background, which of course, I already know how to do(take a look at my ship demo). It's only useful for cutscenes on a train or moving vehicles, but to trigger animations(and complex ones at that), you'll still have to use the technique in the 1st post. Advanced ZQ users should know this before tackling all the other stuff though.

ShadowTiger
01-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Hey, good stuff Blonde. :thumbsup: Could you give us an example of how your scrolling idea would work?

Blonde799
01-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Better yet, I'll just give you the demo I gave Ganonator.:) It shows it in action.
EDIT:It's up. Get it here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZCgroup/files/