PDA

View Full Version : the final day...

Paradox
12-31-2002, 03:30 PM
there is a website i go to every so often... www.cybertown.com
it is a virtual 3d world where people can get a house, a job, objects, etc. and interact with others. there are cities, neighborhoods, blocks... the higher your rank the more experience points you get, which lets you get better jobs. i've been there since april 19, 2000 and i have about 6100 exp. (though i haven't gone there in a while).

the following will interest you. Hawk, the founder, knew he needed to get help financially and decided to make it a pay site. i will not pay, and january 1, 2003 is the first day of that new system. this was the last time i will log in, but there seems to be a new technology - "silhouette" - that will improve things everywhere... i suggest you read his announcement...

http://www.wovencroft.com/Files/Public.htm

i found something about the general topic of IVN/Silhouette though only VRML is mentioned, (next to nothing about it on the web, this site is in french, so go to altavista or google to translate...)
http://www.web3d-fr.com/articles/Bitmanagement/200212/

Samson007
12-31-2002, 04:16 PM
I tried that once, but I found it to be kind of boring. Sorry.

Ganonator
12-31-2002, 04:57 PM
I remember when the same thing happened to Gemstone3... it was one of the greatest text-based RPG's of its time, and still might be, but that $10 a month just killed it.. I guess greed overtakes fun sometimes.

matthew986
12-31-2002, 06:03 PM
Looks like Im going to get to play a whole day!

Flame Boy
12-31-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm a memebr there, I used to chat there all the time, but I haven't signed in for like 1/2 a year. Things change over time that's for sure.

Fiyerstorm
12-31-2002, 07:07 PM
I used to go on that...it got boring..I had a Link cyber person. He looked kinds frucked up tho.

Breaker
12-31-2002, 07:39 PM
Whoa, this has to be the most ugly website I've ever seen... Not to mention an overdone concept to even attempt to charge for. Use the money to buy Everquest, atleast there you can chat and fight dragons.

Paradox
12-31-2002, 09:18 PM
the only pay MMORPG i've played is Sims Online. good thing i play-tested it, because i realized i wouldn't want to spend the money on the game once it came out.

i took a bunch of screenshots throughout the area (neighborhoods, parks, my huge house on the beach), so i could make some sort of presentation/slideshow of it.....