PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Starkist
12-31-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted on my website:

Morrowind is the greatest computer game ever made. Really, I mean it. Every RPG, whether on the PC or a console has its limitations. Most involve a fairly linear storyline, which the player must follow to complete the game. All too many have battle screens which turn the game into a button-pushing boredom. Nearly all RPGs have an advancement system which requires the player to destroy as many enemies as possible in order to become more powerful, more adept with weapons, so that he/she can destroy even more enemies. Morrowind is different.

Morrowind takes its name from the Imperial Province in which the game takes place. You are a newly released prisoner sent to the Dunmer Island of Vvardenfell. At the beginning you get to choose your name, race, looks, and attributes. Then you are released into the world with one job to do. However, you do not have to do that job if you do not want to. In fact, you can do do anything you want. Want to stab the Imperial Guard with a knife? Sure, just know that he will kill you with extreme prejudice. Want to break into someone's house? Go for it, just try not to get caught. Taking things that do not belong to you? It is all possible and more in Morrowind. Of course there are many good things you can do for people too. There are thousands of small quests, hundreds of underground caves filled with treasure and blood, and many unique cities. As with other RPGs you can advance in strength and get better with weapons by destroying enemies, but this is just one of many charactaristics you have. Want to be a smooth talker? Then work on Speechcraft. Want to be a world class merchant? Work on Mercantile. Want to be a thief's thief? Keep thieving and watch your Security and Sneak skills go up. There is also a whole host of magical charactaristics as well. The game is so open ended that you can take a million and one paths to victory.

There are eight races in Morrowind and you can play as male or female. There are three types of Elves, four types of Humans, Orcs, and a cat like race as well. Each has their own unique strengths and advantages. In my current game I am playing a man of the Redguard race, a dark skinned human. I am excellent with the Long Sword and I have a Silver Claymore that is becoming feared on the East Coast of Vvardenfell. I have several different robes that I have found (or stolen) along with some nice Assassin's armor. I am also working on my sneaking techniques and I am always running out of lockpicking tools. I have not yet begun the main quest of the game, but there is enough to keep me busy. In my journal I can see a list of quests that are waiting for me, and the list is long. Many of them are beyond my capabilities, but thankfully the people I promised to help are very patient.

The landscape of the game varies. From giant cities to small fishing villages, from swamps to deserts to mountains to the sea, Vvardenfell is a very diverse environment. Day turns into night turns into day again, and the weather can change quickly. The wilderness is dangerous, with evil men and fell creatures looking for a fight. Safer routes would be boats and giant animals called Silt Striders. Each city has homes, shops, meeting places, temples, and guilds. You can join whichever guild suits your fancy, whether you want to be a Thief, Fighter, Assassin, or more. Doing work for the guilds will take you to higher levels and give you move influence within the guild. Soon you can be a very high ranking member of society! Do not make people angry though, sometimes they can hold grudges. (Especially if you are always pickpocketing them.)

Morrowind is not perfect, but it is head and shoulders above the rest of the RPG community. Morrowind has beautiful graphics, and depending on your system it can have long sight distances, real time shadows, and more. It does require a high end system. I can run it on my PIII 450MHz 196MB RAM system, albeit very slowly and it takes a long time to load the different areas. I also play it on my cousin's P4 1.6GHz 256MB RAM system and it runs much better. A 3D Video Card is a must! I run it on a GeForce2 MX fairly well but a higher end GeForce4 would be better suited to this graphics intensive game.

If you are a fan of RPGs, Morrowind is definately for you. It is available for the PC for around $30 these days and for XBox for about $50.

Anyone else like Morrowind? :)

War Lord
12-31-2002, 03:27 PM
Definitely not the greatest, and I personally think Daggerfall is better.

matthew986
12-31-2002, 03:32 PM
I've been wanting to get this game for a long time now. Just waiting for the money for a new computer. Do you really need something more than a GeForece2 to get the best out of it?

Blonde799
12-31-2002, 04:03 PM
Oh boy, we got another one.....:rolleyes: :laughing:
The only thing I liked about Morrowind is the spell creation system, and the variety of things you can do with it(you can even make yourself a DBZ style spell list:D). Pretty much, the overwhelming landscape, the main story in a 10 ft. pool of side quests, the crappy attack scheme, and the heavy creation limits turned me off. And for me the freedom is too GTA-ish. There's really no point in killing most people, unless you want to die by the guards, and at most times, they're relentless(even at 50+ levels, I'm still forced to run goddammit).:cry:

I mean, if there's an empty house with no one around the outside, and you steal a simple book, will you get caught? Most likely, yes. Even in the most opportune times, you have a great chance of getting caught. Is your conscience doing it or something?:confuse2: And the bugs, oh god, the bugs.

If one can get through all this, they'll definitely like it. I also love flying. Gives me that feeling of god, you know? I also like the idea of training and raising any skill you want. Very cool.:kawaii:

The bad thing is, people will fear the expansion tribunal, because it's basically Morrowind on steroids, as if Morrowind wasn't already OD'ed on it.:laughing:

Overall, it's not bad, but it easily could've been better.

Grasshopper
12-31-2002, 04:28 PM
I'm not much for Morrowind. I'm not blind to it though. As I do see it as a great game, as there is so much stuff to do. But that is why I don't care for it...because there is TOO much stuff to do. I like certain games and almost any game (if that makes any sense), but he drawn out parts between adventuring and fighting just seems boring becasue its so slow. On any given day, I'd porbably go for a more fast-paced action game, but an adventure game or RPG every now and then help fill the void. But this game doesn't do that for me. I do like free roam world thats big, but this world just seems like it serves no real purpose other than to give you an island to move on. But, whether its becase the game too slow, or that it takes a long time to begin anything, it kind of dampen things from me.

War Lord
12-31-2002, 04:46 PM
I ran it on a Celeron 733, 256 megs of ram and a Geforce 2 and it ran perfectly fine.

Mr. 207
12-31-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by War Lord

Yea Daggerfall was MUCH better. Ill take generic dungeons, poor graphics, and bug after bug after bug over completely handmade dungeons, superb graphics, and very few bugs any day. :rolleyes:

As for Blonde's comments, I ask: Did you even actually play this game? At level 50+ you were getting killed by guards? What were you doing, letting them kill you without fighitng back? And if you steal something with nobody there to see it, you dont get caught. Its as simple as that. If you were getting caught, it means someone was there to see it.

Blonde799
12-31-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Mr. 207
I ask: Did you even actually play this game?
That's a very stupid question, considering I just posted my experiences with the game.:rolleyes:

At level 50+ you were getting killed by guards?
Yes. That, and sometimes, "rogue" mages.

What were you doing, letting them kill you without fighitng back?
No, they also cast magic, and some traders have powerful weapons and armor. They also have a knack for teaming up with the nearest guard.

And if you steal something with nobody there
to see it, you dont get caught. Its as simple as that. If you were getting caught, it means someone was there to see it.
You obviously haven't played both XBOX and PC versions. Crimes sometimes get reported, even if no one is anywhere to be found.

I should be asking you the same question, 207.

Rijuhn
12-31-2002, 10:53 PM
From what I've read about the game it seems very intensive, and very, very, very, tedious. With wide open uninhabited landscapes. It sounded boring to me. I'm looking for another hit like Chrono Trigger to get my gaming juices flowing like mad again. :(

Mr. 207
01-01-2003, 12:55 PM
So I guess what your saying is that in the X-Box version they basically changed the game so that it would be impossibly hard for everyone? Give me a break. If you're really getting beat by guards and merchants at level 50, then I think you need to stop playing video games in general. At level 50 in Morrowind, there is NOTHING that can stop you. NOTHING. Much less a simple guard or trader.

Denium
01-01-2003, 01:15 PM
I thought Morrowind sucked because I played the Xbox version first. I played the PC version about a month later, and it was much better, including the controls. Battles still look dull, though...

Blonde799
01-01-2003, 02:51 PM
So I guess what your saying is that in the X-Box version they basically changed the game so that it would be impossibly hard for everyone? Give me a break.
You're very one-sided. One, I never said the versions differ. Two, I never said I got beat by just one guard all the time. And three, I never spend an exhaustive amount of time on a specific aspect of my character.

Now I ask, have you played this game to it's fullest? If so, then that's great, have fun. If not, take your thumb out your ass, play the game, and and learn to read better, and not assume. Assuming makes asses of everyone 50% of the time.

Starkist
01-01-2003, 04:47 PM
I have never gotten caught stealing if there was no one around. Sometimes there are people just barely behind a corner that you might not notice. As for guards, I am at level 12 and can destroy the Hlaalu Guards and the Telvanni Guards. I have not been tested against the others yet.

Mr. 207
01-01-2003, 05:30 PM
You know, just because I disagree with your opinions about a game doesn't mean you have to start insulting me.

To me you implied that the X-Box and PC versions ARE infact different. What did "You obviously haven't played both XBOX and PC versions. Crimes sometimes get reported, even if no one is anywhere to be found" mean then? I'm sorry if misunderstanding something you said means I have my thumb up my ass.

Yes I have played this game to its "fullest." Assuming your asking me if I beat the game. (See I'd say that for sure, but its obvious how testy you get when people assume anything with you.)

Blonde799
01-01-2003, 07:27 PM
You know, just because I disagree with your opinions about a game doesn't mean you have to start insulting me.
Insults are flames. You took such talk as them, when they aren't even such. That's your personality.

To me you implied that the X-Box and PC versions ARE infact different. What did "You obviously haven't played both XBOX and PC versions. Crimes sometimes get reported, even if no one is anywhere to be found" mean then? I'm sorry if misunderstanding something you said means I have my thumb up my ass.
You interpreted that I said that they were different. The sentence means what it says. Again, your personality.

Yes I have played this game to its "fullest." Assuming your asking me if I beat the game. (See I'd say that for sure, but its obvious how testy you get when people assume anything with you.)
No, you're just assuming again. I don't get testy with any specific issues, it's just when someone posts gaming experiences, people that deny that any such thing can happen, like they've beta tested the game fully, while making bad assumptions, tells people that there's a certain something on their shoulder. I was very close to beating it, actually(XBOX version), and I've played a lot of the expansion(PC) as well.

Originally posted by Starkist
I have never gotten caught stealing if there was no one around. Sometimes there are people just barely behind a corner that you might not notice.
Unless they're invisible, you would have a point. I have to admit, It rarely happened in the PC version, if at all, just the XBOX version. Of course, I also kill people too. The good thing is, I never get reported if I kill them fast enough.:D

Maverick_Zero
01-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by War Lord

Ahh, all too true. :)