PDA

View Full Version : Combo cycling (am I doing something wrong here?!)

Sludge
12-31-2002, 08:23 AM
Well, I have a hard time setting up combo cycling, and it seems so easy.

First I make 2 combo's: one walkable and one unwalkable. Then I set both combo animation frames to 1 and speed to 60 (=1 second). Then I let the combo's point to each other in the 'next' box.

This should work, but it doesn't. Anything I missed?

Dark Nation
12-31-2002, 09:08 AM
Hrmmm... It should work... Try setting the frames for both combos to 1.

ShadowTiger
12-31-2002, 09:14 AM
I've heard from various sources that you have to exit ZQuest (save first.:rolleyes: ) and start up ZC to actually see the effects. I tried it, and just like Nick said, it works fine. You just can't see the combo cycling in ZQuest.

So that's not a problem. The real problem, is getting all the animations right so they work well with each other. That's pretty hard, actually.

Sludge
12-31-2002, 09:28 AM
Well, like you said, I already tried setting the frames to 1 (also mentioned in the first post).
I also know that combo cycling doesn't work in zquest (only zc).

I tried it with the newfirst quest as well and put it up for download: http://www.paulsweb.nu/~bosjoh/newfirst.zip

Edit:
Just noticed that the combo animation doesn't restart upon entering the screen (a feature of combo cycling), I guess this would qualify as a zc bug.

idontknow
12-31-2002, 11:52 AM
it does work...you just can't see it visually onscreen in zquest...you have to actually play the quest..perhaps a "show combo cycling" option would be best, DN.

Dark Nation
12-31-2002, 12:02 PM
You should be able to see the effects in ZQuest. Try going to a different screen then coming back.

ShadowTiger
12-31-2002, 12:07 PM
:shakeno: Sorry. :shrug:

But it does work. It just gets REALLY confusing when the things being cycled don't have the same # of frames and animation speed to them.

Sludge
12-31-2002, 12:47 PM
That's just weird.

I downloaded beta 182 from purezc and modified this newfirst quest. Maybe you guys see something different (?), I'm using the windows version.

When I start at the first screen (where the combo cycling happens), the number decreases from 9-0 and then goes back up to 9 again.

It should count from 9-0, then show the star (the cycled combo), and then shows the counter again.

How does it go at all of your computers?

ShadowTiger
12-31-2002, 12:53 PM
Oh. I've been told repeatedly that when you go to another screen, then go back to the screen with the cycled combo, you should see it. But that doesn't quite work for me. (Actually, one of the places I've been told is about 4 posts, counting this one.) But it doesn't work. But it works fine when you're not in ZQuest. :shrug:

Sludge
12-31-2002, 01:04 PM
Well, I already know that this doesn't work in zquest, and that's not my problem.

My problem is that I can't get it to work with zelda classic (zelda-w.exe), so I can't properly test this quest.

Maybe one of you guys can set up a one-screen quest that has an alternating walkable/non-walkable combo that switches every second (or 60 frames)?

ShadowTiger
12-31-2002, 01:11 PM
Go get Nicks' Unification 2 demo. (Easily available in Quest Discussion.) He has some utterly magnifacent combo cycling. You can't miss it.

Sludge
12-31-2002, 01:19 PM
Yes, and that's the really weird part. That one does work, but in a weird way (the alternating skull/switch isn't 'phasing' in a stable way, sometimes it goes fast, then slow).

But anyway, this isn't going to get us anywhere.

Some questions when you play the newfirst I uploaded in this post:

- Does the counter (9-0) reset to 9 everytime you enter the start screen in zelda-w.exe? (doesn't happen with me).

- Is the counter going from 9-0 than *-blank and then to 9 again? (with me it only goes from 9-0 to 9-0).

- Is the * next to the number (another combo) ever going to change to a number from 9-0? (doesn't happen with me).

- Is the alternating between the switch/skull in unification 2 'stable' (i.e. it will happen at the same time interval)? (seems to be random when I'm playing it)?

I think that will clear a lot up.

eatyourneighbors
01-02-2003, 08:58 PM

so i might have figured it out??? this is tentative, and i'm gonna test it out more, but it seems that whenever i want to use combo animation, there must be two frames of animation for every combo i want to use...not just one. any thoughts?

just wanted to say sludge...i'm having the same problem. i understand the concept of combo animation...i think i even suggested it before v1.90 came out...those were the days. but i'm wondering if this could be some sort of bug in the windows version or something...i'm running the new beta. i've got the animation set to 1. the speed set to 60. one combo a walkable combo pointing to a damage combo, one combo a damage combo pointing to the walkable combo. yet when i play the game, there is no animation what so ever. neither the graphic or the combo type.

so what gives? anyone have any suggestions?

Dart Zaidyer
01-05-2003, 10:40 PM
I too, am having cycling troubles. I have a tile set to "fade out" and cycle to permanently stay a blank tile, but it just fades out over and over like a regular animated combo in ZC. (not ZQuest, mind you.)

Nick
01-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Sludge
- Is the alternating between the switch/skull in unification 2 'stable' (i.e. it will happen at the same time interval)? (seems to be random when I'm playing it)?

No. It isn't. It's set on a constant rate, but it apparently doesn't work at the same pace all of the time.

This problem has kept me from making animated shutters with combo cycling since the shutters sometimes animated so fast, they were already closed by the time Link enters the screen, making it look like he walked through a shutter.

I've also noticed combo cycling doesn't work on layers (from what I've noticed). It would be helpful to me if it did.

ZeldaLord
01-06-2003, 03:49 AM
To fix the shutter problem, just set the animation spee to 10 or thereabouts.

Dart Zaidyer
01-06-2003, 07:48 AM
In a freeform dungeon the shutter will be in it's "open" state and then it will cycle shut after Link comes out. So what you'd need to do is have the "open" combos un-animated, and the "shut" combos cycling from open to closed. (not animating since it's too hard to get looking right.)

ShadowTiger
01-06-2003, 08:45 AM
I just make it wait for a while before closing. Link is already way out of the door when it happens.

And over the vacation, I ripped some Z3 door opening images. Would anyone like them? I could probably rip some more on Tuesday. It's interesting hunting for the exact second to hit the F9 key to get a 'shot. Good stuff. :naughty: