PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe this

DukenukemX
12-30-2002, 11:47 PM
I'm sure some people must know about the net send command to send messages in a windows network. It seems that some companies have gone far enough to use this feature in windows to send messages to my PC. Even worse I get a message that tells me to visit a site that could possibly sell me firewall software to stop getting these messages.

To stop this shit I simply disabled the messanger service in Services. I have Zone Alarm running and it doesn't seem to help since I need to let windows access the net once in a while. So now companies are using wholes in windows to fucking annoy me when ever they want! Fuck that. Anyone else get this shit.

vegeta1215
12-30-2002, 11:49 PM
I would think ZoneAlarm would block that. You should really only let ZoneAlarm connect to the net for your browser and any chat things. Windows might need it for that Windows Update, but I don't see any reason for it otherwise.

DarkDragon
12-30-2002, 11:51 PM
Yes, I've gotten two so far this week, and both are from companies trying to sell software to stop the messages. Couldn't this scheme be construed as a form of blackmail?

In any case, I disabled messaging, and hope the companies don't find a way to work around it.

Ganonator
12-31-2002, 02:08 AM
I get these all the time at college advertising the U of Arizona (ironic, but true) WTF was microsoft thinking when they wrote that code??

MasterSwordUltima
12-31-2002, 02:17 AM
Ah, the worst, and only thing like that. I got something from this site "Xupiterstartup.com" or something like that. It like, took over my internet. Whenever I want to go to like, Acmlm Boards or something, this page comes up saying "Xupiter did not find the matching page". It did that for a lot of things, including Dirty Power, Acmlm's Hack Domain, and even Microsoft.com once. Its bullshit it is...

stormwatcheagle
12-31-2002, 03:41 AM
Doesn't happen to me and I use Zonealarm. What program is it again?

obi
12-31-2002, 08:45 AM
Well I havent had things like that happen to my home PC but at college, many students send many messages using the * command and it clogs up the network. People seen doing that at college are banned for a while from using the PC's.

Rijuhn
12-31-2002, 11:48 PM
If someone did that to my computer I would pray for their death, and then find a way to stop it and send them a threatening email, mostlikely with a drawout lawsuitesque type of threat. If that's even possible.