PDA

View Full Version : Digital CD Reading: Not working with my new CD-RW

Raichu86
12-30-2002, 11:26 PM
I'm having a very annoying problem with my new 40x12x48x CD-RW drive that I got for Christmas... digital reading isn't working properly, when I play a CD, it skips like a drunken school girl. I really want my digital reading to work, as I like to use the Windoze Media Player equalizer. The digital worked flawlessly on my old CD-ROM drive (don't know the model), so I don't get why the hell it's not working on this. I've tried for hours to get it working right.

The drive came with no drivers. The first thing I did was turn on DMA, which Windoze left off for who knows why. This greatly decreased the skipping, but didn't eliminate it. Other performance settings that I've ensured are on are read ahead, and error protection. I've also tried it on mutiple CDs, CDs that played perfectly fine on the old drive.

I'm out of ideas other than reformatting Windows, which I plan to do this weekend. Though I'm doubting I'll get any help, does anybody have any experience with this type of thing or have any ideas on what else I should try before reformatting?

vegeta1215
12-30-2002, 11:47 PM
Maybe you have a defective CD-RW drive? I dunno.

What's digital reading anyway? I've never heard of that. Are you just trying to play something from your CD-RW drive, like a movie?

Raichu86
12-30-2002, 11:59 PM
I'm trying to play the audio tracks of an audo CD (Weezer: Maladroit, BTW :kawaii: ).

I'm doubting my hardware is defective. Digital reading is useful for sound enhancement and quick ripping, as well as some other stuff. I'll dig up the Microsoft page about it when I have time (don't right now).

Mak-X
12-31-2002, 12:42 AM
Maybe it senses its being played on a CD-RW and its protection? Have you tried using Windows CD Player?
[Nevermind, reading your post I see you've tried many discs and they worked fine before on the old one.]

Flash Man
12-31-2002, 12:52 AM
There is an extra cord that hooks in the back. Make sure thats hooked up to it.

Raichu86
12-31-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Mak-X
Maybe it senses its being played on a CD-RW and its protection? Have you tried using Windows CD Player?
Yeah, I've tried that too. It works perfectly fine with no skipping, but doesn't give me the playback I desire because it doesn't support digital playback. Windows Media Player will also play with no skipping, as long as digital playback is disabled.

Also, digital playback is greyed out in the Multimedia Settings. I think Windows thinks that the CD-RW is not capable of digital reading. But I'm sure it is, because it's a modern piece of hardware and at one point the digital reading was working fine (but then Windows had a crash and lost all of its hardware profiles, which is another reason I plan to format).

Originally posted by Flash Man
There is an extra cord that hooks in the back. Make sure thats hooked up to it.
It is, both the audio and the IDE are plugged into the drive. The power is plugged in as well, but that's obvious. :p The fact that it plays fine non-digital leads me to believe that my connections are OK.

Here is that Microsoft article that I mentioned in my above reply:
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/archive/devdes/cddigital.asp