PDA

View Full Version : Big chests

RPGAngel
12-30-2002, 10:35 PM
I think I saw this talked about somewhere, but I can't find it. And I can't quite remember how to do them. I think they are a bit different from the small ones. Can someone help me refresh my memory? Thanks.

Edit: Check my second post in here to see the new way.

Ganonator
12-30-2002, 11:06 PM
There are 2 ways

first is to make the bottom part of the closed chest unwalkable, and the top overhead. Put the item in, and enemy-secret screen flag on. When the secret is triggered, just change the bottom tiles to walkable, and the top ones to the open chest, on layer 0.. it will eliminate the cover, showing the item

the second way involves Boss Lock Blocks, which aren't correctly implemented yet, and you change the position of the tiles so instead of the big chest taking up 2x2 which looks like:
XX XX
XX XX
XX XX
XX XX

to a 3x2

OX XX XO
OX XX XO
OX XX XO
OX XX XO

change the bottom middle tile to a boss lock block, and all of the others to BLB2.. after you walk up to the middle one, it will 'unlock' and you just change to whatever is corresponding. Make certain that the top middle is on a layer above the item that is to be received...

Hope this helps!!

RPGAngel
01-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks for your help. I understand now(though I'm not too sure about the second way yet). I also found a third way to do both big and small chests...they open to reveal the item when Link walks up to them. You still have to walk into them a step to pick up the item though. But it looks really cool, like LTTP, sort of.

Edit: Here is how I did it.

First put the closed chest tile(no combo on it) where you want it on your screen. Then make an identical screen except have an open chest. For the item, use the regular item and the item placement box to put it in the open chest. Now you use pit warps. Have one right in front of the closed chest to take you to open one. Then one one step behind where you appear in open chest room to take you back to closed chest. When you step on the pit warp and back, it will look like the chest opens and closes. To have monsters though, you have to do it a bit differently. Have a barrier of some sort to lower when you kill the monster. And no monster on the open chest room(dosn't look right when you warp). For the big chests, I used layers. The open and closed chest are on the layers and the item in the room the open chest will be in. I used a layer that will still let it look like the item is in the chest(2, I think). The rest was the same though. I hope I explained this okay enough. I discovered this while playing around with the chests. I think you can also do this with the lockblocks, but I havn't tried yet. Let me know if I didn't explain well enough and I'll try again(or maybe give a small demo of my presant quest with an example of both sizes if needed).

Jigglysaint
01-02-2003, 10:32 PM
You could do it with only a 2x2, you just have to make the 2 bottom tiles only unwalkable in the dead centre(meaning the bottom left of the left tile and bottom right of the right tile's walk flag is unchecked), then just make sure you have an unwalkable tile surrounding the whole chest, and it should work.