PDA

View Full Version : freezing/lock up

idontknow
12-30-2002, 04:45 PM
every once in awhile when i'm in zquest and i'm in a menu-mostly layer menu, zquest freezes and forced to press control+alt+delete; thus i lose information and get very frustrated...i ALWAYS get this when i specifically enter the new "Link's Sprites" editor. I have a windows xp...also, for any of who has used one, there are different log in names for the computer, under mine name, the computer runs a bit slower after i run zquest or zc and sometimes a window will even freeze...this happened with the last version i had but not quite as often...is there any way to avoid these things altogether?

System Error
12-30-2002, 05:54 PM
For one, don't use the Link Sprite's editor until it's fixed. As for your computer freezing, close all programs before starting it, and be sure your computer has enough system resources/hard disk space. Also, try not logging in. That may speed things up. And close any unnecessary TSRs (found at the bottom-right hand corner of the screen). Oh, and just a reminder: NT-Based Windows (Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP) have crappy DOS emulation. Then again, the Windows one will cause even more problems.

One time, when I was using ZQuest (For your information, located on drive D, my slave/storage drive), Windows ever-so-rudely interruptted and said shit about running out of space on drive C. I promptly told it to shut up and upon returning to ZQuest...FREEZE! So then I restarted, and told Windows not to bother me when drive C is low on space. So I was using it as normal when...FREEZE! I restarted, and turned "Run Disk Cleanup when low on space" back on. :eyebrow:

idontknow
12-30-2002, 06:37 PM
um...ok?...u said try not longing on..what the hell doe that mean cuz you have to log on as a user...do u have windows xp?

Ganonator
12-30-2002, 08:18 PM
or just log on to your parents computer at the time you want to use ZC... or create a new name that ONLY does ZC.

idontknow
12-30-2002, 10:09 PM
my parents dont have a computer...its a family computer and i dont think i can make it only run zc..oh well...

System Error
12-30-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by idontknow
um...ok?...u said try not longing on..what the hell doe that mean cuz you have to log on as a user...do u have windows xp?

I have Windows 98, and you don't have to log on there. You can Cancel or ESC out of it. Sometimes, that speeded things up for me.

idontknow
12-30-2002, 10:22 PM
oh you dont have windows xp...then thats totally different...guess you guys dont really understand it then...each use has a log in name..when you turn on the computer, after it loads up, theres a welcome screen and you must sign on as somebody's name...i'm the only one that uses zc and it makes the computer run slower under my name...i dont wanna use it under someone elses because i dont wanta make there "user account" run slower...its alright though...i guess i just need to avoid using zquest for long periods of time and avoid going into certain dialogue boxes/menus (such as Link's sprites editor)

Lonemind
12-30-2002, 11:24 PM
When the name selection menu comes up, try pressing ESC. Would that work and get you into an anonymous account? If that fails you can create a new account and then use that solely for ZC. :)