PDA

View Full Version : Who's good at making overworlds? I need some help.

ShadowTiger
12-30-2002, 11:30 AM
OK. I'm good at making dungeons, but overworlds, well, are massive. And that's where I always get tripped up. If some kind soul can spare a few moments to make me a general sketch of a map, (Not using any tileset. Just kinda describe how it would be done.) I would be more than happy to put you in the spotlight of my credits. If you need more info, you don't. Just take a wild guess, and I'll make do with that.

Oh, and I probably won't have time to respond immediately, because I'm on vacation at home with a dastardly slow modem.

*I'm on vacation! I'm on vacation!*Skips off*

DarkFlameWolf
12-30-2002, 12:05 PM
contact me via PM. I'll give you a general sketch.

ShadowTiger
12-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Umm... Thanks, I guess. I was honestly expecting people to post with completely baffled messages, but instead I ended up being baffled. Alright, that's certainly an irony. Or perhaps not.

Gimme a sec.

OK. What I need, is a way to fit all my ideas into the overworld, (i.e. I only have 1.) but still have the rest of the overworld make sense. I probably shouldn't leave out any screens, and I should have them all connect to each other. No single screen should be blank. Yet they all must be beautifully laid out, like having flowers and rivers and trees, yadda yadda yadda, blah. Does anyone know what I mean? Because I sure don't! :cry:

DarkPaladin
12-31-2002, 02:39 PM
Maybe it's my english, but I not sure I understand what you want.

Rose
12-31-2002, 03:31 PM
i might be wrong on this but on how you are saying it, it seems you want to know what should go on a screen on a overworld map if that is so,then put mountains and tree's & water and such gravel mixed with grass i dunno if it looks good put it in and never make a screen which is blank, mostly i fill my screens with tons of things to catch people off guard and admire it,but then again i could be wrong as for im not sure what im saying..

Yoshiman
12-31-2002, 06:39 PM
Don't make your overworld linear. It makes the quest too easy. Try to spread out your dungeons, but give very little hints in finding them.

ShadowTiger
01-02-2003, 02:18 PM
It's not really like that. My overworld will be one of about 10. ;) It should be very linear, and compared to a quest like Revenge2, the overworld will (it actually already does, despite being about 35% finished right now.) look like it's alarmingly small despite taking up the whole screen.

Perhaps I'll start the quest thread shortly. I might need some ideas though. So I'll check back later. K?