PDA

View Full Version : New Quest: Return to Monstra Island

Dart Zaidyer
12-26-2002, 10:26 PM
Way back in the early release of ZC 1.90, I made my very first quest: Link on Monstra Island. Although it never saw the light of day, it was a fun little diversionary quest so I decided to revive and redux it from scratch. The result: Return to Monstra Island.

Made with a heavily modified Pure graphics pack, it's a humor quest that also showcases the new features of beta 182. And like it's predecessor it's also up for editing.

Of course, not just anyone is going to get to rip into it. You have to know your way around ZQuest. When I first sent it out to get added onto, what came back were unimaginative lines of little trees on the overworld and a dungeon full of boring, square rooms with no challenge whatsoever, not even a shutter or lock. Well of course, that's not gonna happen again!

Some nifty things I've been trying out:
-Began cycling shutters. This way, they appear to be opening and closing, rather than just instantly coming from nowhere. I plan to use this with locks and boss locks, too.
-Made flowers into vases, so when you cut them, they spray little bits of debris around.
-Implemented Lock Block chests. Now, instead of slashing it open, you'll need a key to get to the prize inside.
-When you kill a boss, it "explodes" and you automatically gain a heart container, and are treated to a victory fanfare before the Triforce appears in front of you. This works without a hitch, but I need to figure out how to make it a one-time event or you'll be able to see it over and over again just by revisiting the boss lair.

Yoshiman
12-26-2002, 10:46 PM
Can you post any pics?

DeathLink
12-27-2002, 08:20 PM
monstra, monstra, oh that one quest you gave to me to finish and i started to finish but yet, i never quite did that, woopsy.

good luck

-When you kill a boss, it "explodes" and you automatically gain a heart container, and are treated to a victory fanfare before the Triforce appears in front of you. This works without a hitch, but I need to figure out how to make it a one-time event or you'll be able to see it over and over again just by revisiting the boss lair.
how do you plan to do that, is there something in the new beta that i missed?

Dart Zaidyer
12-27-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm using timed warps for the boss death/victory theme sequence. I could probably make it more elaborate if I had the patience to do so, but right now it's about like when you beat Ganon in Z3.

By the way, a proof-of-concept demo is ready. It contains a very teeny overworld (no-warp sidewarps here and there to keep you from going too far) and also Level 1, with all the seams tied up. The only thing missing is layered passage archways in dungeons (making them "overhead" combos obstructs the shutter archways) and the actual explosions over the boss.

I'll edit in a link when I have it online.

EDIT: I've put it up on Breaker's FTP Quest Database thingy. you can use the sticky thread in this Forum Category to find out how to get in. The ZIP file contains the unpassworded quest as well as essential IT files. (which are about 20-50 kb each, compared to the 1.1 meg qst file.)

ms_zelda_lady
12-28-2002, 03:49 PM
BTW you might want to go and check out why your quest won't download at Breaker's FTP site. I just tried to download it and it wouldn't work. Hope you get it fixed soon as I would like to try it out.

ms_zelda_lady