PDA

View Full Version : I got my Christmas present early this year. :)

gdorf
12-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Not to sound shallow, but I'm having a great Christmas season sofar. My parents bought me a new motherboard (soyo kt333 dragon lite), chip (althon xp 2000+), new ram (128kb ddr), and a cooling fan.

Then, as if I wasn't already grateful, and feeling a little spoiled, they gave me a second present. A new monitor!

So, in two days I went from a 533 celeron, a horrible motherboard, and a monitor that barely supported 800x600 resolution, to a pretty good setup.

I'm so happy. :)

Dechipher
12-24-2002, 12:54 AM
w00t!
Ask for a Fender Stratocaster, '69.

If you get that, you're REALLY spoiled.

If you get a Warlock, you're somewhat spoiled.

If you get a Bullet, you need to kill your parents.

Mystery-Q
12-24-2002, 01:26 AM
That's weird. I just spoiled myself yesterday. I went to a computer show and got myself a new mobo, Athalon XP 2100+, 512 MB of PC 2100 DDR, and a new case. I got it all hooked up today. It runs greate though I think its a little warm in there. I might need to put in another fan.

The Savior
12-24-2002, 01:32 AM
Sweet improvement there. I'm happy because I know that I'm gunna get a new heatsink/mobo combo, and my dad just helped me install a ghetto cooling setup for my graphics card.

Flash Man
12-24-2002, 02:21 AM
Why would one get a kt333 board when kt400 boards are slightly more expensive, some even the same price, and no one sells 128kb ram anymore.

gdorf
12-24-2002, 02:30 AM
Why would one get a kt333 board when kt400 boards are slightly more expensive, some even the same price, and no one sells 128kb ram anymore.

I was lucky enough to get what I got, and I'm very happy with it. :shrug:

BebyGoku
12-24-2002, 02:40 AM
Ya man dont diss his stuff....my dad just hooked my up with some goods stuff not sure what it is doesnt comprehend well with stuff like that just no i got an 80 gig hardrive:)

War Lord
12-24-2002, 04:43 AM
My idle CPU temperature is 46 degrees C, with Average idle Case temp at 30 degrees C.

Rounded IDE cables help out a lot.
As do proper case cooling.
I have 2 exhaust fans in the back and an intake fan in the frong of the case.

Make sure your case is tidy as well, don't have wires hanging in a bunch all in the middle. Zip ties or electrical tape help here.

I have a Thermaltake Volcano 7 on the way, hope I can get that cpu even cooler. Using the retail HSF now..
bah.

The Savior
12-24-2002, 01:15 PM
Becareful if you move your comp with the Volcano in it, they are supposed to be a bit too heavy for the socket. My idle temps are a bit high at 48-49 CPU, and an unreliable (I don't trust the placement of this senser) 31 case. I'm so happy, I'm getting one of these (MCX-462+) (http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/mcx462/mcx462plus.jpg) tommorow for Christmas.

rubixd
12-24-2002, 01:23 PM
Lucky man...
I had to buy mine myself, i would also have gotten AMD but i couldnt find anything cheap enough.
Intel Pentium 4 - 2.0 ghz
128 mb of memory (i cant remeber the type)

War Lord
12-24-2002, 04:06 PM
Building a new computer for my friend right now. We have half the parts here, including the Volcano 7. It's more than sturdy enough.

I tested before I bought for myself :D, that and read various things online.

MottZilla
12-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Flash Man

Perhaps you should go the next step and realize he more than likely meant MB and not KB. ;p

Anyways, congrats man. That's an awesome upgrade. I went with something similar when I went from celeron 500mhz to AMD Athlon XP 1800+. The upgrade is really what matters, not whether it's the fastest chip they make, cause the fastest chip they make only retains that title for no more than so many months.

gdorf
12-24-2002, 10:35 PM
Perhaps you should go the next step and realize he more than likely meant MB and not KB. ;p

Heh, I didn't catch that even after he pointed it out. lol :shrug:

My idle CPU temp is 42˚C, and my idle case temp is 34˚C. I have a Volcano 9 in there right now, and only one fan on the case. Its working sofar, I haven't had any freeze-ups.

vegeta1215
12-24-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by gdorf
So, in two days I went from a 533 celeron, a horrible motherboard, and a monitor that barely supported 800x600 resolution, to a pretty good setup.

I'm so happy. :)

Sounds nice. I bet Penguins fly on that machine, eh? :D

When I get a new computer, I will leap about that far. Right now I have a 523 mghz AMD K6-2, and my next computer will probably have an AMD Hammer (their new 64-bit processor which is scheduled to come out some time next year) in it. It will blow everything else out of the water :)

Lone Wolf
12-24-2002, 11:50 PM
Sounds cool man. I need to get some new sh*t for my computer.

Ultra22Lemming
12-24-2002, 11:52 PM
Hey I just got some of my presents today!

They are:

Calander - Golden Retrievers
15$
25$ for Papa Gino's (pizza place in Massachusetts)
3 lessons for Tennis
Sim's Online (my aunt and uncle didn't know that you had to pay so we are most likely ganna trade it in for a different game)
12 cans of 3 tennis balls (36 total if you can't do math)

~~I'm happy!~~

Mini-Me
12-25-2002, 12:17 AM
so, U22L, u must like tennis?

gdorf
12-25-2002, 04:24 AM
Add an optical/wireless mouse, a slickshoes CD from my brother and a guitar stand and you can call it a wrap.

What did everyone else get for christmas? I'm interested to hear.

vegeta1215
12-25-2002, 02:34 PM
I got:
-A bunch of clothes, and a nice quiksilver belt
-Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance for GBA
-Tenchi Muyo OVA Ultimate Collection on DVD
-Felicity Season 1 on DVD (you know how I got a thing for Keri Russel, right? ;))
-Jay and Silent Bob on DVD
-South Park Season 1 on DVD (the best episodes)
-Labrinth on DVD (David Bowie, cool movie)
-A $50 gift certificate for thinkgeek.com
-A Carmen Electra Calendar
-A big jar of pistachios, mmmm...
-And a pair of Pioneer speakers for my stereo (pretty nice)

I was happy with what I got :)

Dracula
12-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Lets see what I got here...

Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 0
Wireless GCN controller (3rd party version of the Wavebird that has a rumble motor)
War Gods for PC
70$ worth of GameStop gift cards
50$ worth of Kohls gift cards
120$ worth of cash
a Simpsons Rubik's puzzle
a new Optical mouse
Heavy duty pocket watch (attaches to a chain that goes into your butt pocket onto your wallet)
new hoody sweatshirt
big metal ball necklace
a new girlfriend

VERY nice gifts ;)