PDA

View Full Version : My computer died!!!

LordMagus
12-22-2002, 01:09 AM
As some may already know, my BIOS were damaged a couple months ago. This prevented me from using Windows, so I switched to Linux.

Now however, my BIOS got in such bad shape that it deep fried my hard drives. So now I'm without working BIOS and hard drives. I hope to replace them during vacation (hopefully).

Right now, though, I'm using Knoppix (Linux on a CD). It seems to be a good temp replacment for now (Btw, thanks Menokh). To those Windows users, Knoppix is a good way to try out Linux without any risk.

Anyway, my parents got a new family computer and will be lending me the old crappy Compaq once they move their files. So that my story.

Has anyone else had something bad happen to their hardware?

vegeta1215
12-22-2002, 01:56 AM
Ooh. sounds terrible.

I haven't had anything bad like that happen, but my friend's computer was so dusty and yucky inside, that his IDE something or other froze, and until he rebooted, he could only run things already loaded into RAM. Freaky huh?

Knoppis eh? Hmmm, I'll have to check it out. I trust Menohk's judgement, so it must be pretty nice.

DukenukemX
12-22-2002, 03:19 AM
The Bios died? Did you try to flash it? Could you tell me what kind of motherboard you have?

When I had my old Compaq Presario with a P90 the bios also died on me but it never took out any hardware components. I tried to reflash it to see if it could fix the currupted memory chip. It worked for a short period of time but the problems came back. I called up compaq to see if they could fix it and they told me why not buy another PC. :angry:

I actually agreed and built my P2 400 PC. I'm never bought a PC since... well maybe my laptop but thats different.