PDA

View Full Version : So long nVidia

Flash Man
12-18-2002, 10:58 PM
http://www.visiontek.com/intro.html
Time to smash with ATi's chips.

DukenukemX
12-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Nvidia screwed up with that Geforce FX. When everyone heard that it will use up 2 PCI slots and have a cooler thats so loud that Nvidia says gamers won't notice since they use head phones to play games. I don't know about anyone else but I don't use headphones with my Dobly 5.1 setup.

Looks like Nvidia needs get off it's ass and start making stuff people want.

mike5000
12-19-2002, 10:37 AM
I never see anybody play computer games with headphones on!!

Breaker
12-19-2002, 10:42 AM
They are called poor people who cant afford even shitty speakers. I'm going to have to finally agree with Flashman, Nvidia is shit. If you're going to buy a card, make it Radeon.

Raichu86
12-19-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by mike5000
I never see anybody play computer games with headphones on!!
I do, as my speakers aren't very good (2 piece Creative SBS16, they're very small). I had a nice pair of speakers, and never used headphones, but then my mom destroyed them when she was trying to "unplug them." :mad:

I'm still happy with my GeForce 2. If I didn't have something in the GeForce series, I couldn't use a cool little program called the GeForce Tweaker, which made my GF2 perform 3 times as fast (really) in 3D games.

I'm sure it won't be long before nVidia gets ahead again and some graphics "war" begins. :laughing:

Breaker
12-19-2002, 11:33 AM
The war was along time ago and this just blew it for Nvidia ... (that's the point)

Raichu86
12-19-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Breaker
The war was along time ago and this just blew it for Nvidia ... (that's the point)
It was? It didn't seem like ATi was getting very much attention until recently. I guess I'm just ignorant. :shrug:

AtmaWeapon
12-19-2002, 11:44 AM
Yeah, as of right now I don't see a big shift towards ATI. The whole ATI camp has been talking about what a big victory they made lately, but last I checked companies still sell just as many computers with Nvidia cards in them. In fact, just as it has always been, there's just the choice of a Radeon or GeForce4 at Dell from what I've seen.

I'm no Nvidia loyalist, but I've heard ATI ranting about how they've defeated Nvidia for months now. Why is Nvidia still around?

I use headphones. Not all of us can afford $200 sound cards and $200 speaker setups. Also, most of my PC gaming takes place during times that my roomate is either studying or sleeping. Same while I'm at home, my mother would not appreciate hearing me play Quake III at 2AM.

I have a 220 watt stereo I hook my laptop up to for sound, but I find when it comes to gaming I can position the sounds far better when the headphones are on my ear. If I'm in the EXACT right place for the stereo, the it works. But I like to move around.

Lately, I've even used the headphones to play GCN and N64 games, and I find it superior. Sure, the bass doesn't shake my bones, but I can tell where the crap that last keese is very quickly.

bigjoe
12-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Breaker
They are called poor people who cant afford even shitty speakers. I'm going to have to finally agree with Flashman, Nvidia is shit. If you're going to buy a card, make it Radeon.

Who was recommending Nvidia cards in chat the other day:rolleyes:

War Lord
12-19-2002, 12:55 PM
I used 20 dollar headphones with a 200 dollar sound card.
I'm not sure I even want surround speakers, I have it hooked up to my home stereo as well, and while it may not be surround speakers, they're expensive speakers...

nVidia is over, I still prefer an nVidia card over an ATI any day.

vegeta1215
12-19-2002, 12:57 PM
Last I heard nVidia was still the leader in graphics cards...and what's the point of that link in the first post? It sounded to me like everyone is saying that nVidia was going down...I'm confused.

Well, I bought a Radeon card for my Linux computer before, and ATI didn't give me drivers for it, so I couldn't play any games. I wound up getting an nVidia GeForce2, which actually works, and works excellently. The only thing that will shift me back to ATI is if they freaking get some Linux support with some of their less expensive cards (cause they just started releasing Linux drivers, but only for their 9000 series which are too much money for me)

DukenukemX
12-19-2002, 04:24 PM
Nvidia isn't going anywhere. They just won't be #1 for a while. Here are some "quotes" from Slashdot talking to NVIDIA reps.

These shots give us a good idea of just how much space these monsters are going to take up inside our cases. As you can see, the heat pipe cooling technology is going to cover two of your first PCI slots – whether you like it or not, start to get used to the fact guys.

While we couldn’t see it, the fan cooling the heat pipes was very loud – we are talking almost Delta-like volume levels. Possibly, as we get closer to seeing these cards in retail, nVidia may tweak the cooling systems to a more noise tolerable level – at least I hope so.

When quizzed by a gamer at the sound levels coming from the back of the card, an nVidia rep was quick to suggest that it wouldn’t matter much because gamers would be using headphones during their gaming.

Chances are when the GFX comes out it will be the fastest card on earth but it will surely cost around $400 to $500 bucks at the expense of 2 PCI slots and large amounts of noise. Also it has been said the ATI has already taped out it's R350 and RV350 chips. So when GFX is released ATI should have something around the corner.

War Lord
12-19-2002, 04:34 PM
Not sure why PCI slots are a big deal.
Only PCI slots I have taken up are from my NIC and my Sound Card.
That Geforce FX is gonna take the AGP slot and the top PCI slot....

I have 5 total PCI slots.
Only 2 of them are used currently. What's one more?

AlexMax
12-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Oh shit, they aren't going to try the whole 'dual chipset' thing are they? I have an ATI Rage Fury Maxx, and the piece of shit works like...well...shit.

MottZilla
12-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Ya, it's I think pretty well known ATi has taken a lead in graphics power I think over nVidia, but those things are only temporary.

I'm sure nVidia isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The Savior
12-19-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by War Lord
Not sure why PCI slots are a big deal.

They're not, especially because you're not supposed to use the top PCI slot if you're using an AGP graphics card.

Flash Man
12-19-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
Last I heard nVidia was still the leader in graphics cards...and what's the point of that link in the first post? It sounded to me like everyone is saying that nVidia was going down...I'm confused.

The point was that Visiontek which was one of nVidia's biggest developers went to ATi.

Fatty Lumpkin
12-19-2002, 07:17 PM
Why fight over who's better? They keep going back and forth and will continue to. Neither company is better.

Gerudo
12-19-2002, 10:26 PM
different people are going to choose different gfx cards... as well as soundcards...

i used nvidia, and it works(i still have it) perfectly for me... it cost around 30 bucks

i use an SBLIVE LIVE! and it works perfectly. it cost me 70 bucks...

ridiculing because you have a $300 soundcard, videocard, whatever is stupid... FT is right, neither company is better, it all boils down to preferences... it is well know Flashman doesnt like nvidia...

get over it, everyone puts what they want in their computer and no one is going to persuade me to waste over 100 bucks on any given item for my comp, im just that way...

AtmaWeapon
12-19-2002, 11:56 PM
All I know is I get enough FPS in Quake III Arena to understand that it is either my mouse or my mousepad or my lack of practice that makes me suck. I have NEVER dropped below 90 fps in VQ3, and once I found out that my com_maxfps was set to 90, I found I can get a solid 115 fps running 1024x768 32-bit with high detail. That's all I need. I play on a laptop, so if ATI can make a card that plugs into my laptop and is cheap, I'm buying ATI. However, if Nvidia is the one that makes the card I need, guess who I'm buying? I don't care about how many extra FPS I get. Guess what? Above 60, there's no visible difference, and if you go above certain framerates it alters the physics of some games you play. (Quake II Done Quick, a project to beat Quake II with the fastest possible time, had to be done with minimal strafe jumping because different framerates altered the speeds of the jump.)

I don't care about the details I'll never notice. There is no "war" as far as I'm concerned. As long as I can play a game, I'm happy.