PDA

View Full Version : Combos that damage regardless of whether or not you have the boots

bigjoe
12-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Title says all

I think that they should make it into 181 alongside various bug fixes :P

With these combos , custom bosses are but a stones throw away.

DarkFlameWolf
12-18-2002, 12:42 PM
exactly, because I plan on using the boots, but don't want to sacrifice the damage custom bosses do because of it. In fact, the boots are kinda required to be in the game, so I need the 'damageregardless' combos if I am to complete my quest.
we should rephrase: We still want the damage combos that boots can protect you from, but we ALSO want damageregardless combos alongside those ones that cannot be blocked in any way, shape, or form. and perhaps make more combos like, damage 5 combo, damage 6 combo, damage 8 combo, etc.

Raichu86
12-18-2002, 12:59 PM
Yes, I could come up with a use for those too.

KJAZZ
12-18-2002, 07:51 PM
I agree. I also want an Insant Death combo, as soon as you touch it you die..but don't worry..I won't abuse it..much..:evil:

C-Dawg
12-18-2002, 08:45 PM
Eh, just ditch the boots. We've got plenty of other items to play with. If you're really married to the idea, you can pull off a boss flag trick to make damage combos go away...

-C

Jigglysaint
12-18-2002, 11:50 PM
I alway though that we are trying to find ways of making the game smaller, using up less screens and maps. Just because we can do it now doesn't mean there shouldn't be measures to make it simpler.

C-Dawg
12-18-2002, 11:52 PM
Simplicity is good, but I wanted DN to add more maps specifically for things like this. 255 maps gives you a fuckload (thats an offical unit of measurement... somewhere between a buttload and an amount that is only described as friggin huge) of spare room.

-C

StarFox
12-19-2002, 01:10 AM
It's that blank space in the subscreen where the boots go that can drive people mad. They'll search all over the place, looking for an item that doesn't exist in the quest if you don't put the boots in. I think it's a good idea. But I know people will start asking for a level 2 boots if we do, which would defeat the purpose.

Mmm... Instant death combo... tasty...

DarkFlameWolf
12-19-2002, 01:10 AM
um, I can't ditch them, they are integral to what I am trying to achieve in my game, so we need these 'damage regardless' combos in Zquest or it isn't going to happen.

C-Dawg
12-19-2002, 08:33 AM
If your plan calls for both boots and custom bosses, ditch the boots. They're not worth giving up all the effects you can get with damage combos. Honestly, I dont know why you're so married to the idea of using the boots anyway. You been doing the bootcrack? (StarFox's point well taken, however.)

-C

Dark Nation
12-19-2002, 08:59 AM
At some point, the subscreen will be customizable (this is quite a ways off, however), so you would, at that time, be able to space the items out so the boots (or any other item) don't leave a big hole if you don't use them. As for nobootdamage combos, I guess I could put that in the next beta if everyone really needs it. What strengths do we need? Same as we have now (1/2, 1, 2, and 4) and maybe an 8 for good luck?

DarkFlameWolf
12-19-2002, 10:11 AM
if you could put those in the next beta DN, I would be very appreciative. :)

bigjoe
12-19-2002, 02:33 PM
Those sound like good numbers Dark Nation.

And since these "damagenoboots" combos will most likely be used by people who are making custom bosses , can there be a rule called "Ring Damage Combos" that makes damagenoboots combos respond to the ring?

Dark Nation
12-19-2002, 03:58 PM
Or I could make the damagenoboots combos always respond to the ring. Or would some people prefer a quest rule? Screen flag, maybe? Then you can use both.

bigjoe
12-19-2002, 04:03 PM
Screen flag would be great ;)

DarkFlameWolf
12-19-2002, 07:31 PM
thank you, my quest can actually get completed with these new implementations! :D

Qusetonui
12-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Ring Damage combos sound pretty good to me. I need instant death combos thrown in the next beta (think of a guillotine {sp?} for example), along with this new combo:

Magic Damage: Once stepped on, this takes ½, 1, 2 or 4 magic containers off. When your magic is depleted, this is treated as a slow walk when you have no magic. Kind of cool, huh? You could make it in a magic battle arena (where enemies can ONLY be hurt by magic), magic-damaging bosses/mini-bosses, etc. Try this combo:

Dual-damage combos: Combines damage and magic combos (it both attacks HP and MP at the same time) in order to make the "ultimate" combo. This could be countered by a potion because this is a Shadow-elemental attack. This even works on layers 1 - 4 'cause damage combos aren't gonna

Oh yes, make damage combos work on layers so they make traps, like this: Spikes hiding underneath a flower bed and both use the same combo, Lava hiding underneath a pillar, a Dragon's Fireball and many other possibilites... without hassling with using two combos (Damage combo #2 being hidden by a pillar). There are many possibilities to do damage combos without trying to set up a combo underneath in order to work it.

To close my post and in time for the Holidays (it's less than in one week), I will use Chrono Trigger-style message format to close my post:

WIZZROBE: "Where's Ganon?" ME: "Good, I am mastering dual-damage combos... done! Ganon, were art thou? *Turns on HOME ALONe via VHS and goes to the Gangster scene* GANGSTER: "What money!?" SNAKES: "Acey said 10 percent." GANGSTER: "Too bad he ain't in charge no more!" Hey, I know what I'll do - I'll give you the count of ten, to get your ugly, yella, no-good keister off of my property!" SNAKES: "I'm sorry, Johnny!" JOHNNY: "One, two, ten!" *Gunfire SFX* HAHAHAHA! "Keep the change, ya filthy animal!" - a line in HOME ALONe

So, what do you think of my damage combo ideas?

DarkFlameWolf
12-19-2002, 10:25 PM
just throw in damage regardless and I'll be happy. But I do agree with one thing however, damage combos that are used on different layers other than layer 0 (the base layer) should be able to hurt the player.

DarkFlameWolf
12-26-2002, 01:10 AM
I notice in the latest public beta these are not added yet. If its as you say and this beta will finally be ironed out of bugs and such to be a full public stable release like 1.90 was, then I'd SO love these combo types to be in the final version. Please DN, please.