PDA

View Full Version : I finally got with it!

J.J. Maxx
12-17-2002, 12:35 PM
Well, I finally reformatted my HD and installed Windows XP. (Love it.) :thumbsup: I think it's really slick and a whole lot faster then 98SE. Well anyways, I am slowly getting all my old programs and MP3's back onto this computer but I want all you XP users to tell me any neat things I can do with XP that I couldn't do with 98.

Yay!

(Oh and please no XP bashing in this thread, if you don't like XP then don't post. ;))

EDIT: Oh and here's how it looks!

http://www.jadevalley.com/xdesk.jpg

Dirk the Daring
12-17-2002, 02:23 PM
I am just starting with it myself, so no neat tips or tricks yet. I must agree, so far, I like it alot better than 98, and even a little better than 2K.

theplustwo
12-17-2002, 04:38 PM
hey, nice desktop. hee hee, kazaa lite! hmm, a little winxp goodness, huh? well, I can get more later when Im at home, but you can edit a whole lotta cool stuff without mucking about the registery by doing:

start > run > gpedit.msc

and then checking out some of the stuff under the administrative templates folder. Also, you can disable the annoying pop-up balloons like this

start > run > regedit

and then going to the folder

hkcu > software > microsoft > windows > currentversion > explorer > advanced

and making a new DWORD value named

EnableBalloonTips

and leave it set to 0. Also, you can stop my computer from showing the stupid 'shared folders' in regedit go to

hklm > software > microsoft > windows > currentversion > explorer > mycomputer > namespace > delegatefolders

and delete the folder with a bunch of numbers in the name. You have to restart for the balloon tips key to take effect, but for the shared folders one, you can just start up my computer to see the difference!

AlphaDawg
12-17-2002, 06:05 PM
Upgrade to Windows Media Player 9 if you haven't already. It can fill in all of the missing info on all of your MP3s ID3 tags. Resist the urge to convert your library to WMA however, I'm regretting that decision.

vegeta1215
12-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Go to the control panel=> add/remove programs and then choose uninstall Internet Exporer. It won't really uninstall it, but it will remove icons and links to it from your desktop and start menu. The next part is to go download Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.org :D

j/k

I still think it's a neat feature because it was harder to do in previous Windows versions. But, you can use whatever browser you want, although Mozilla is awesome.

zables
12-17-2002, 06:44 PM
I dunno, im using Opera and IE and i cant decide which one i like better yet...
Whats so good about Mozilla?

vegeta1215
12-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by zables
I dunno, im using Opera and IE and i cant decide which one i like better yet...
Whats so good about Mozilla?

I really like Mozilla's rendering engine. It renders pages really fast. Besides that, it has some nice features I probably couldn't live without liked tabbed browsing and very smart pop-up blocking and other javascript disabling options (great for stopping spam from resizing your browser windows).

But, that's just my opinion. You should just give it a try for yourself. It looks and feels like Netscape, but it's waaay better than Netscape, trust me. I just like letting people know their options.

Gerudo
12-17-2002, 08:59 PM
www.themexp.com

if it doesnt work, just keep reloading till it does work...

visual styles, logon screens, boot screens... ;)