PDA

View Full Version : please don't laugh!

kittifelyne
12-17-2002, 10:36 AM
and don't get angry..please!

While awaiting for the release of some of the new quests to play..I've decided to play a little with the zc editor. Yes! I've downloaded the tutorial already and read it.

I've downloaded tilesets and learned to use the export and import options.

But I'm confused about how to do a very simple thing...and can't find the answer in the tutorial.
Okay!..

I'm ready to place the tiles on my screen....to the right side are images(tiles) I can use...my question is ..
how do you change the tiles on the right side to other tiles that are not being shown that you want to use?

I know this is elementary to all of you but I really don't know..so I have to ask! Thanks in advance.:confuse2: :kitty:

[edit: I'm using version zc 1.92 beta 163..
not that using an earlier version would matter...because I'd still need to know that anyway.]

Starkist
12-17-2002, 10:50 AM
I think the answer you need is to hold down shift and push down. (That was the question I had when I joined.)

Later to use tiles that are not on the combo page (the tile list on the right) right-click on any of the blank (red and black) ones and then you can edit it, including choosing a tile from the tile list for it.

kittifelyne
12-17-2002, 11:09 AM
Thank you Starkist...I'm going to go do that right now.:) :kitty:

ShadowTiger
12-17-2002, 11:28 AM
Oh, um, you have to make sure that under the ZQuest options, you check the box that actually allows you to scroll up and down. It sounds silly, but it's a rule apparently. :shrug:

And don't worry about it. I had the same problem too about 8 months ago! :kawaii: Join the club. Here's your card. You get a discount on day old sandwiches in the AGN cafeteria. Enjoy! ;) :laughing:

Starkist
12-17-2002, 12:38 PM
You can always scroll, there is no rule for nor against it. You can enable mouse scrolling, whereby you move the cursor to the top or bottom of the right side combo list and it will move.

Zaggarum
12-18-2002, 12:05 AM
I just noticed how easy it is to tell the difference from a girl posting and a guy. Many differencs. I am positive your a girl Kittifelyne. Right? ;)

Oh yeah, I rember this probem. :sweat: happen to me too KF. When I downloaded Zquest. (exactly a year ago:thumbsup:) This came up. I was so mad, because I felt so stupid. I had to figure it out myself. Wish I knew about the forums that far back.

kittifelyne
12-18-2002, 11:52 AM
thank you all for your help. (starkist, brit and zag)
Yes! Zag..I'm female...if I were male I might call myself something
like Tomfelyne (Tomcat)...Ha! Ha!..to indicate that I was of the male sex.
although kittifelyne just suggests that I'm a kitty cat.
and before anyone suggests that my spelling is bad...I know that the technical term for the cat family is feline..but I was being cute and spelled it felyne....lol!

Oh! and thanks for the sandwich brit!

back on subject....having fun with zc quest editor...but Lord...I've got lots to learn. I really have alot of respect for you quest makers...you're great. And you guys must have the patience of Job!

Anyway...I keep checking back to see who has a completed quest I haven't played and will continue playing with the editor and learning while I'm waiting.:laughing: :kitty:

P.S. Happy Birthday Brit!:clap:

Starkist
12-18-2002, 02:48 PM
I work off and on with my quest, and right now is an "off" time. Sometimes I just do not have any patience for quest building.

Jigglysaint
12-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Quest building can be kind of hard. Some people release their first quest after a few weeks, and people cut it up. Other people, like C-dawg, take almost a year and end up doing such a good job, that it either motivates, or undermines a person's ideas for their quests. I have only released one full quest so far, and I've been with ZC for 2 years +.

Right now I'm tweaking a freeform dungeon demo for anybody who's interested, for beta 180. So far it works well, but there are a couple bugs that get in the way.

ShadowTiger
12-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Really? I'm certainly interested. I saw what you did with the quest you released, and it looked pretty darn impressive, all things considered.

Quest building is an art. Actually, it's probably not. Sometimes it depends on luck. For example, I just base my quest idea on what I've already got. I just slapped down a couple random tiles here and there, and then built the remainder of the Overworld around it, and hoped to the 7 hecks that it fit together well. :sweat: And so far, so good. :thumbsup: Just be careful there, alright?

Zaggarum
12-19-2002, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I remember back.... quests took only a few weeks to make. that was before you had all these new tiles and fetures. I truly think that by the time ver. 2 is released, quests might take longer than a year! thats a long time. But hey it's fun.

ShadowTiger
12-20-2002, 09:14 AM
Heck yeah! :highfive:

I remember the time when a quest could be made in a week. You can still do that, really. But those quests get tossed aside. I'm not sure, but I think that the graphics quality has not only increased in itself, but also increased everyone's expectations.