PDA

View Full Version : pallete cycling

idontknow
12-16-2002, 10:20 PM
first off, is it possible to actually cycle through different palletes rather than c-sets w/in the pallete?...this would be necessary for my quest where i want to make it cycle palletes to simulate change of night & day...i downloaded the pure tileset/graphics package (which i love) and so, for those who arent aware, it includes many different palletes, including regular, night, winter, forest, dark forest, dead land, dawn, etc...i want to be able to change from one pallette to another...my original idea was to make it so that in the overworld, you could manually change from night to day by finding the ocarina/flute and playing it in front of certain statues (with a whistle flag in front) and the surrounding, walkable area would change into pit combos...setting up warps though would be pretty time consuming if i had many linked dmaps...any ideas how to simulate change in time/environment/etc.?...also, whats the highest "speed" you could set when setting up pallete cycling?..i want it as high as possible so you would have to wait some time before experiencing pallette changes/time change

ShadowTiger
12-17-2002, 09:05 AM
Good Question, IDK. But the answer is permanent, if not discouraging. The simple solution to your problem is to have Link warp to an identical place with a different palatte. That will take mass copying of the maps, but you could do it. It was done in Descendent, I think, and you could do it too.

But slow palatte cycling, you would need it to remain in that palatte for a long time. And I'm not quite sure that is possible. I just learned how to palatte cycle, and it's pretty easy. But it's not that useful for complete palatte changes. It's mainly used to cycle colors for pre-combo animation animations, and for neat glowing effects. (Add those. They're really cool. ;) )

If you need to know how to work the palatte cycler, don't hesitate to ask, if that's what you want to ask.

idontknow
12-17-2002, 04:29 PM
yeah...i was planning on making it warp you to different an identical dmap with a different pallette...that way, you'd need to go to some areas during the day and/or night or have like different shops be open only at night and secrets only appear at night or day, etc...this will be a pain though cuz if i decide to split the first map (overworld) into different regions, each w/ a different dmpa and name, then i'll have to make a two copies of everyone and have twice as many warps and such...oh well...c'est la vie...thanx anyways...bh4