PDA

View Full Version : All I want for christmas..

gdorf
12-15-2002, 09:43 PM
I want a new motherboard for Christmas. I think I've already talked my parents into it, now all I need to do is decide what mobo to ask for. My parents are going to spend $100-$150 MAX if they buy me one. I know its not alot, but it has to be better than the one I currently have. ;)

Anyway, I'm trying to decided what to get. I have:

A 533 celeron (which I'll be upgrading next).
Geforce 4 mx 420
Creative Lab's Soundcard
100Gig Harddrive
3 gig harddrive *
Zip drive *
Floppy
56x Cd Rom
I'll soon be getting a burner

*These can be left out

Do you have any suggestions? My parents will probably make a trip to frys if I can find a decent motherboard. I know my price range won't get me anything great, but for god's sake its gotta be better than what I have now.

An overclocking friendly mobo would be great, but just an added bonus. :)

Breaker
12-15-2002, 10:28 PM
...considering your process sucks complete ass, it most likely wont work with any of the new cutting edge mobos out there.

I'd suggest getting an a7v333 asus with amd athlon xp+ processor (1800-2200)

MottZilla
12-16-2002, 12:54 AM
That is a problem actually, most MBs don't support a very wide range of CPUs. I'd advise you get something else. ;p A MB wouldn't be a very fun present anyway.

gdorf
12-16-2002, 01:43 AM
Well, my current mb doesn't even have enough PCI slots for a sound card, which is a crying shame because I have a sound card laying right here.

And thanks for the suggestion, Breaker. Looks nice.

mrz84
12-16-2002, 01:58 AM
a PS2 or a new PC but it looks like i'll be getting a PS2 though i did ask my grandparaents to get me a violin. :kawaii:

gdorf
12-16-2002, 02:15 AM
... wrong topic there mrz? This is what happens when you don't read the thread at all, heh.

mrz84
12-16-2002, 02:51 AM
whatdaya mean wrong topic? i read the entire thread and i posted what i wanted for christmas. what's wrong with what i put down? i pretty much know what i was getting for x-mas so i put it down. is it a crime to do so? :sweat:

NeoPuff
12-16-2002, 03:11 AM
He means the topic title was:all I want for christmas.
So it was only about him.

zables
12-16-2002, 03:20 AM
Well, for 150 bucks your only gonna be able to get a half decent motherboard,
and then your going ot have to make sure that you can afford a new processor, and im also guessing that if your running a celeron your powersupply is rather small, so you may have to look @ a new one,
an then theres the case....
your going ot have to make sure that your case can use the motherboards expansion bays and that theirs ports for its PS/2 ports and all that stuff. And then your also gonna want a new heatsink, i would reccomend getting a volcano, their not bad and their pretty cheap...
but overall your gonna need more than that
so that 150 is only gonna get you started... u may wanna start saving your money man

gdorf
12-17-2002, 01:42 AM
What about this (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=MBM-AK32L-2000) combination?
It doesn't seem that bad, and its a decent price.