PDA

View Full Version : What Steve Jobs doesn't want you to see, and what he will tell you doesn't exist

Beldaran
12-13-2002, 03:52 AM
[evil laugh]

copy paste the url

http://www.geocities.com/arduenni/sickmac.jpg

slothman
12-13-2002, 04:05 AM
That looks fake. Is it?

Beldaran
12-13-2002, 04:27 AM
I really don't know.

Axel
12-13-2002, 08:38 AM
wow, is that a real Geocites 404 error not found page?!

Shadowblazer
12-13-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm sure it's not "fake" in the traditional sense. I can certainly believe that the picture itself is genuine, not photoshopped or anything like that. The BSOD itself, on the other hand, probably isn't. After all it really doesn't take all that much artistic talent to recreate white text on a blue screen ;)

Jigglysaint
12-13-2002, 01:43 PM
Sure it does. I mean, I can't do it or anything.

Beldaran
12-13-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Axel
wow, is that a real Geocites 404 error not found page?!

wow, is that a real person who doesn't copy paste the URL???

AlexMax
12-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Golee, a genuine Yahoo!/Geoshitties 404 error. Wow, I'm pissed at Steve now.

Beldaran
12-13-2002, 04:00 PM
DUDE! it should work if you copy/paste the link.

LordMagus
12-13-2002, 04:16 PM
Maybe it's running Virtual PC (a windows emulator). :shrug:

Axel
12-13-2002, 04:34 PM
Beldaran, if you can't be bothered to make a link work, why should I be bothered to copy and paste it?

Paradox
12-13-2002, 04:35 PM
you have to copy and paste the link in your browser for some reason.

the top of the mac-bsod says "Mac OS X"... hard to photoshop, but possible. aren't there things that let you run windows on macs anyway?

Goat
12-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Geocities won't let you link to it. If you try to link it brings up a 404 error. Just like if you try to link a pic off a geocities site or any of the other free gay services, like angelfire and tripod. He was putting in the web addy for you to copy and paste it, being aware that he could not make a link to it.

Menokh
12-13-2002, 05:09 PM
Either that is photoshopped, or someone is running a full screen PC emulator on thier Mac and edited what the blue screen says.

When Mac OS 9 or beloew crashed it would pop-up a menu with a bomb symbol on it and if it couldn't recover it would have a single restrt button on it. Mac OS X, I believe, has something similar, but it pops up far less often.

fatcatfan
12-13-2002, 05:58 PM
Or maybe they hacked the iMac to use it as a monitor for a PC under the desk. Probably too much work though.

Beldaran
12-13-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Axel
Beldaran, if you can't be bothered to make a link work, why should I be bothered to copy and paste it?

It isn't my website. And I don't set geocities policies. And I'm not going to download the picture, upload it to my website, then fix the link just because you're too fucking lazy to right click the link and click "copy".

Also, you were obviously too lazy to read my first post, instead just clicking on the link then bitching about it.

But it's all good, I suppose. I mean, I can understand the laziness. Just don't bitch to me about it.

theplustwo
12-14-2002, 01:32 AM
lol, looks photoshopped though. or just badly compressed. :P

gdorf
12-14-2002, 01:55 AM
This isn't an emulator of windows running on a Mac, its just a prank. If you look closely at the title of the BSOD it says "Mac OS X" instead of "windows". My guess is someone just conjured up a blue screen with white writing.

Breaker
12-14-2002, 02:03 AM
This is horribly photoshopped... There's even two completely different blue on the screen.

AtmaWeapon
12-14-2002, 02:18 AM
It would take me 5 minutes to make a blue screen program that does nothing but display a fake blue screen in Pascal. I could have done that in 8th grade.

Now I know that Mac users do pay about $500 too much for their hardware, but is this any reason to assume that Mac users are too stupid to program? I think not. The two blue colors could be the result of the digital camera used to take the picture; perhaps the user didn't have enough money after purchasing his iMac to get a good one.

The only thing that makes me agree it is a photoshop job is I've rarely seen a photo of a CRT monitor where the entire screen is visible. Only one pixel at a time can have the electron gun pointed at it, it just goes over every pixel so fast the human eye cannot perceive the fade from the pixels. However, a camera is quick enough to catch the gun in mid-scan, and typically only half the monitor is visible, as the remaining pixels have faded out. The perfection of this photo suggests to me it is a photoshop job, though it would be possible to recreate said screen on a mac without photoshop. The CRT monitor is what makes it seem unlikely.

Also, note the "press CTRL+ALT+RESET" message. This picture of an iMac keyboard (http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/iMac/art/ts04.gif) makes this message odd. Note how "Alt" is placed above "Option". This is because the command key (the one with the apple on it) is prefered over "Alt" in a Mac OS environment. I don't recall ever using "Alt" in the times I've used Macs. Also note the non-existance of a "Reset" button.

(Above picture not accurate enough for you, you want to see a real iMac keyboard? Look here (http://www.tne.net.au/goose/MacAlertWebPics/Apple%20pro%20keyboard%20horiz.gif), son. I won't have any more of your lip.

My verdict: I had to consult Matlock, but I beleive it is a photoshop job from an IBM-clone user who has never used an Apple in his life.